LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

ls1 intake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ls1 intake question

I'm in the middle of an ls1 intake swap and I ran into some problems trying to get it to bolt down. I sanded the bottom of it but I'm thinking I need to sand more of the hump on the bottom out to get it to work. I dont want to sand to much and any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not gonna be able to get much help because no one can see or tell what the real problem is. post pics of the bottom of the intake and the tray under it, that would be a good starting point.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Launching!

I'm just wondering how much of the bottom needs to be sanded to make it work
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aaron_Provost
I'm in the middle of an ls1 intake swap and I ran into some problems trying to get it to bolt down. I sanded the bottom of it but I'm thinking I need to sand more of the hump on the bottom out to get it to work. I dont want to sand to much and any advice would be appreciated.
You might have to grind some of the tray too. The mounting DOD tabs interfer with some intakes. The rings around the bottom of the intake interfer with the DOD tray humps and require more then just intake sanding. Always rest the tray against the bottom of the intake and shine a light in between to check clearance. Make sure the tray rests flat before final assembely. Grinding is very tedious!

On a side note... the intake does take some wrestling to line up before bolting dowm. Double, tripple check everything!

Last edited by DavidGXP; 07-27-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 AM
Launching!

how much of the hump on the ls1 is safe to sand off?
Old 07-21-2011, 03:05 AM
On The Tree

Double check the coolant tube close to the power steering pump. My ls6 kept hitting that and I kept thinking that the tray / bottom was the issue. I had to slightly bend the .coolant tube to accommodate the intake....
Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Andrew91PGT
Double check the coolant tube close to the power steering pump. My ls6 kept hitting that and I kept thinking that the tray / bottom was the issue. I had to slightly bend the .coolant tube to accommodate the intake....
This. You can also gently bolt the intake down (if it's not the coolant tube) and then see where the bottom has been dented so you know where to grind. On mine I had to take out some ribs and bent the coolant crossover. You can text me if you're still having issues. Just double check that crossover and the PS pump, it takes some fendangling.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

PS pump is a pain and lines are a pain.

Just don't force anything and use your eagle eyes. As far as grinding.. don't get too carried away as it's hard to say how much is safe. You just have to do a little at a time. It's tedious!

With the intake manifold off, and the valley cover off. Flip the intake upside down and the lay the tray across the manifold as if everything was bolted together. Then take a light and look for clearance issues. The tray should rest flat.
The intake manifold gaskets will add some intake manifold elevation so get the tray and intake too fit the best you can before final assembely.

Last edited by DavidGXP; 07-22-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Is it not quite so straight forward as the sticky would suggest?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
Is it not quite so straight forward as the sticky would suggest?
It's not a bolt-on, but it's not difficult. Just have to feel your way through it. The LS1/6 is physically larger than the LS4. Like I said, fendangling.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Teching In

The intake that I got from Bama was very straight forward. Like most people say, the PS pump and lines were a little tight, and the DOD connector took a little special treatment.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

I'll take some more pics once I feel better. I'm still fighting this horrible cold.

I never had to mess with the coolant lines. The intake is a very tight fit. Make sure the alignment tabs on the intake line up with the holes in the heads before tightening down. Make sure the power steering reservoir line is up, and out of the way. Also make sure the hose clamps are turned facing the pass side fender. Mine were facing the driverside and hitting the intake runner causing the intake to not line up properly.
This is simple average joe mechanical know how.. Like AG said fendangling!!

Let us know what you find Aaron.

Last edited by DavidGXP; 07-22-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Launching!

I greatly appreciate everyone’s help. I noticed that the hose clamps were in my way but I still couldn’t get the intake to bolt up. After unbolting the power steering reservoir I was able to get just enough room to bolt it down. In the morning I’ll put the rest of it together and start her up. Thanks again for everyone’s help.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cant wait to see pics and hear what you think,Ive been wanting to get new lifters and a non DOD tray
Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Thought I'd give you guys an update. I thought I had it finished but when I put the throttle body adapter on it wouldn’t fit because it didn't clear the headers. I had to grind the rear tab on the header for the throttle body heat shield. Now the throttle body adapter rests on the header so I have to do some sanding to it in the hope of completely clearing the headers. As much as I was looking forward to this mod, if I had to do it all over again I'd say the hell with it. Nothing has gone the way it's supposed to, and the time and effort spent trying to make this work just doesn’t seem worth it to me.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aaron_Provost
Thought I'd give you guys an update. I thought I had it finished but when I put the throttle body adapter on it wouldn’t fit because it didn't clear the headers. I had to grind the rear tab on the header for the throttle body heat shield. Now the throttle body adapter rests on the header so I have to do some sanding to it in the hope of completely clearing the headers. As much as I was looking forward to this mod, if I had to do it all over again I'd say the hell with it. Nothing has gone the way it's supposed to, and the time and effort spent trying to make this work just doesn’t seem worth it to me.
Bad news, and with all of the mods that you have... it will be worth it!

Is there anything that I can add to the sticky? I know I never covered the install, but for intake and tray mods the pics and discription should have served well.

I had to remove the header TB heat shield and grind the tabs off of the cross over pipe too. My TB adapter never touched the the pipe after grinding. I have tons of room. Make sure everything is bolted down.
With the stock exhaust no problems.

Last edited by DavidGXP; 07-28-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Agreed with Dave. I also had to eliminate the throttle body heat shield. I had the crossover pipe completely re done because I had to replace the flex joint due to the whistle n e. way. I have about 2 inches between the tb and the xover tube now. The headers are designed for stock intake not ls1 or ls6
Old 08-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Teching In

where did u get the hood
Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

what hood? Grand Prix or Monte Carlo?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

My adapter clears with a ton of room to spare, did you buy the one for the headers?