LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

anybody have problems with there optima battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody have problems with there optima battery?

So I replaced my acdelco crap with what I thought was a good battery (optima red top) back in March of this year. Was working just fine up until yesterday. Went to start it up in the morning, and dead. So I jumped it and it was fine all day yesterday. Went to start it up again this morning and dead again! Jumped it again and took it over to advance auto and had them check the battery and alternator, and he said that both were good.
Nothing is being left on. I am running an amp and sub, but its turning off fine. What do I do? Do I go back and bitch for a new battery or is there somewhere else I should start looking first?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What condition is your battery cable connector hardware in? May want to scuff the insides of the clamps, wipe them clean, then clamp 'em down really tight
Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

ive had bad luck with optima (red tops). I went through 3 in 6months time....should of just stuck with the ACdelco....

BUT, it sounds to me like you have a constant drawl on the battery..get an amp meter and check you fuse box for something that is pulling power when the car is off
Old 11-08-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have a Red Top for about 10 months and no issues. I would definitely take a can of Coke and a toothbrush to the battery cable terminals, as they get corroded rather quickly on these cars.

Also, as mentioned above, check for a power drain with a meter. You just never know.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has killed 2 red tops(replace w/new) and 3 yellow tops all replaced with new optimas.I think it the onstar,drawing power when the car is off.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Optima is not what they used to be. I will just put another delco in when mine dies.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Have them put it a trickle charger when its dead(assuming you might have another car to drive). They'll need to keep it for 6-12hrs. Mine was dead last week and it wasn't a bad cell or anything, but they put it on a charge and I have no issues with it as of now.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Well just spent 2 hours looking over the car with a volt meter and nothing seems to be drawing power. Terminals weren't that bad, but still cleaned them off anyways. Nothing has really changed on the car, so if something is drawing power, why would it work fine for 7 months, and then one day just go dead.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had that occur with my last Red Top. It turned out to have a bad cell. It was only 4 months old!!!

I put in a yellow top, and so far it's better.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive had the yellow top for 6 months and no issues ( knock on wood )
Old 11-09-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had the same issue with 2 red tops as well. My common sense tries to tell me that there is a draw somewhere but I have checked numerous times. I even considered something that may kick on/off intermittently or several minutes after the car is off and still get nothing.

I even tried sneaking up on my car in the dark and still no current draw. I have a hard time believing that it's another bad battery but hearing some of you mention it makes me kinda lean that way.

The only saving grace I have at the moment is a battery tender.

Oh, one thing you might try for troubleshooting is to disconnect the battery completely and come back and check in the morning. See if it is still holding charge. Mine holds charge when it is not connected. So I can't pull a warranty claim very easily.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Probably some power drain like onstar or you are doing too short of trips and it can't get a full charge.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Launching!

The f.l.a.p.s around me have wronged me way too many times to trust there charging testing eqpt. I would go to another and have it tested again. If you have a dc amp meter you can test the output of your alt yourself, and rule that out.... Whats the voltage after sitting overnight, before and after? sholdnt drop below mid to high 12's. anything under 12 imo
Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Teching In

I have the same issue with the 3 year old red top in my truck. If I dont drive the truck once a week it will barely start especially in the winter when it is cold. Same thing I can't find a draw. No issues yet with the yellow top in my GXP yet. . .
Old 11-10-2011, 12:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had my optima red top for about 3.5 years now, no issues at all....

went through 2 ac delcos the first 2.5 years...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Teching In

I've gone through 3 or 4 batteries, was having the same problem again until i bought this: http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-Sma...1134670&sr=8-1
Old 11-12-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
I've had the same issue with 2 red tops as well. My common sense tries to tell me that there is a draw somewhere but I have checked numerous times. I even considered something that may kick on/off intermittently or several minutes after the car is off and still get nothing.

I even tried sneaking up on my car in the dark and still no current draw. I have a hard time believing that it's another bad battery but hearing some of you mention it makes me kinda lean that way.

The only saving grace I have at the moment is a battery tender.

Oh, one thing you might try for troubleshooting is to disconnect the battery completely and come back and check in the morning. See if it is still holding charge. Mine holds charge when it is not connected. So I can't pull a warranty claim very easily.
Same here I have a battery tender but if I dont start the cars at least once a week they will be dead by the next weekend!!
I think it's a draw some where maybe onstar
week and there dead
Old 11-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Teching In

I removed both onstar and xm modules from my trunk and my battery was still going dead every 2 days so its gotta be something else.

Quick Reply: anybody have problems with there optima battery?