LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Down to my last month of warranty... loose hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Down to my last month of warranty... loose hubs?

I'm down to my last month of warranty on my '06 GXP (I extended the warranty when I purchased it) and so I took it to the dealership to get the transmission fluid, filter, and pan gasket changed along with inspection/registration and an oil change. I remember reading somewhere that sometimes after this is done, the transmission finally fails, and I figure if that's going to happen, I better still be on warranty. My transmission seems like it does fine, but the 3rd to 2nd downshift is always a little noisy.

Anyway, I just got a call today from my service manager and he said that they are having the warranty guy come look at my car today because during the 21 point inspection, they discovered both of my front hubs were loose. What would cause that?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, but my front driver's side has come loose 3 times. I check once a month now, especially after replacing it twice.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate to sound like a noob, but in this case it's the truth. How would a hub even be loose? Is it possible that somebody loosened my lug nuts and my wheels were loose? Or am I thinking wrong...?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are three bolts holding the hub on, the first time I lost all three, the second I lost one and the other two back out bit, both times it snapped the speed sensor wiring, the third I caught them before anything happened, loctited and all. I can't figure out how/why they back out.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard are the hubs to replace?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quite easy.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had my hubs replaced twice... not uncommon on these cars, with all the power/torque going to the front wheels...

the bearings get worn out/shot, so they have to replace the whole hub - can't do just the bearings, it's all one unit...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Get and extended warranty!! Again!!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Just had my two front hubs done yesterday actually. Discovered a little bit of play when I went to put on a fresh set of tires.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

They told me that during the 21 point inspection, the front wheels would rock back and forth a bit when pushed and pulled on. The warranty inspector only ok'ed the driver's side hub replacement because the passenger side one was apparently within the tolerance/spec. Now my car drives like it is on rails, but only on the left side lol. The right side still feels a bit loose. My service manager recommended I just come back next month and state the reason why I'm bringing it in, and maybe by then it'll be out of the spec enough to get repaired free. Apparently this happens because of hitting potholes and such.

Several months ago I noticed a bit of uncertainty to my steering which made me a bit uneasy, but I figured it was just loose tie rod bolts like last year. My car felt like just about every other car I've ever driven. This was to blame. Now, at least on the driver's side, the car feels as planted as the Camaros do.

Anyway, guess it is fixed for now and I'll just take it back in for a thorough inspection before the warranty runs out. Extending the warranty again will be about $2k which is about the price of a transmission rebuild, so I don't see the point.

The transmission fluid, filter, and pan gasket change is so far, so good. I got stuck in heavy traffic on the way home and it took me AN HOUR AND 40 MINUTES to drive the 17 miles home on Friday at 5:30. Drove in manual mode the entire time and transmission peaked at 213 degrees and my miles per gallon shot down to 12.2 average w/o the heater or heated seats running. 213 seemed pretty high to me with brand new fluid.

I was told that there didn't seem to be any issues with the fluid change and everything. No really visible metal shavings. Car still has a fairly loud clunk of a 3rd to 2nd downshift but is driving just as normal as ever.

We'll see what happens.