LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Factory NAV Experts step inside please :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory NAV Experts step inside please :-)

I installed a factory Denso NAV unit in the wife's 08 Grand Prix and went to have it programmed at the dealer. So far, I've only installed the NAV but not run the VSS or the voice recognition wires yet. I figured I'd do that after I had it unlocked.

It only took 30 minutes or less and the service advisor came out announcing its working fine. On the drive home I was playing with it but noticed it has no nav signal, only the red slash. It also displays a map of Washington DC.

I called the dealer back and they say they don't do anything more than clear the VIN and have the car re-learn the installed options - nothing more. Did they miss something ?

A few more clues - the time can't be set and doesn't appear on the NAV screen, only a blank box shows in the top right corner. The DIC dispay also won't display the date though you can set it but after a few seconds "---------- ----" appears instead.

Lastly, I currently am running winter wheels/tires with no TPMS sensors. Is this a problem ?

Confused .... where do i go next ?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Ohh, one more piece of info. I have a new GM NAV antenna installed but not yet installed in the factory location. It's hanging inside, tucked just above the HVAC vent. I did double-check that it was in fact plugged into the back of the NAV. It was.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't speak to the clock issue, but I would try moving the nav antenna around, as they're very sensitive. If it's not acquiring any, or even enough satellites, you'll get nothing.

TPMS has nothing to do with your nav woes.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

I decided to reload the system software in an attempt the resolve the no GPS issue and the problem may be worse. I cleared the system software thru the diagnostics mode then inserted my 2010 version map disk (GM PN 20861474). The system now displays "Can't load system software. Incorrect system disc". Do I need to first load an older software version then install the software upgrade ?? The screen is now white, only displaying "Can't load system software". The radio plays one station which can't be changed, nor the volume. Ugggghhhhhhh! This is driving me nuts.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000blkta
Ohh, one more piece of info. I have a new GM NAV antenna installed but not yet installed in the factory location. It's hanging inside, tucked just above the HVAC vent. I did double-check that it was in fact plugged into the back of the NAV. It was.
That would solve your date and time issue. That information is acquired from the GPS satellites.

But it now looks like you have even more dire issues.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I downloaded the firmware from teh Corvette form, burned the ISOs to CD then reloaded the firmware. Voila ! The radio/nav is now ALMOST completely functional AND the date/time works in theory proving the NAV antenna works. But, it still shows the red slash thru the GPS symbol and still displays a map of Washington, DC. Does it take some time for the NAV to sync with the satellite ? A GM tech said sometimes it takes 24 hours to do that. Does this make any sense ? Good news is I'm now very close
Old 01-27-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you get in touch with the guy I told you about? He may have your answers WRT your GPS issues.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 AM
Staging Lane

Not yet as I hadn't been able to get back to this project to last night when I reloaded the firmware. If placing the antenna in the factorly loaction doesn't cure the signal issue I'll shoot him an email. Seems I'm close now !
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

bumping this help, hopefully you can help me on this..
I have a gxp without the nav option and i bought a navigation unit with no antenna..
i know ill need it programmed but i need help on which antenna or what else i need to get this going
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm
??
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

bumping this help, hopefully you can help me on this..
I have a gxp without the nav option and i bought a navigation unit with no antenna..
i know ill need it programmed but i need help on which antenna or what else i need to get this going
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm
??
Old 03-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GXP25
Did you get in touch with the guy I told you about? He may have your answers WRT your GPS issues.

hi GXP25, I sent you a PM, maybe you can help me!
Thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Replied.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Default Factory Navigation

I just purchased a 2008 Grand Prix GXP and it has every option except engine block heater (don't care) and navigation. I ordered a factory ACDelco GPS/Navigation antenna and I will install it tomorrow in the factory location. I know I need to have the nav unit unlocked but I have a couple of questions.

Can anyone tell me (without guessing) what the 4th electrical plug is on the back of the nav unit? Port 1 and 2 are the factory radio plugins, port 3 is for the nav antenna and port 4 is for??

Once I install the nav unit and plug in the (3) know plugs will I need to install anything else to make the nav work as intended from the factory?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Factory NAV Experts step inside please :-)-4__24254_1357945110_1280_1280.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are actually five (5) plugs on the back.

The 2011-2013 Corvette radio has six (6); the extra plug is for USB.

I don't remember off of the top of my head but all five are used.

I'll gather all of my information tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Teching In

GXP25, thanks for the reply and any help/info you can give me would be great. You are correct there are 5 plugs on the back of the nav unit if you include the radio antenna plug which I omitted.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Teching In

I received the GPS antenna (ACDelco 15821030) and located where the antenna would have been installed from the factory and the pig tail coming from the antenna is 12" which is way too short for a direct connection to the nav unit (36"). I assume the pig tail plugs into the harness somewhere near the mounting location but I don't see a plug nor do I see a plug coming out of the harness near the nav mounting location. Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track or if a factory nav unit install in a non-factory nav installed Grand Prix is just too hard?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

I was told this from the grand prix forum for my 2008 GXP with factory nav but i added it later down the road...

The correct part number for the 05-08 Nav Antenna is 10354960 if that number dosent work you can try 15821030
That being said, i believe i bought the first part number from GM for around 45bucks and it actually throws a red X threw my GPS signal and if i calibrate to my location, the arrow is way to slow or slower then how fast my car is actually going. Im not sure if this is the VSS wire or if my antenna is the wrong one. Does your GPS button have a red X thru it?

My wire was also to short, but made it work by double sided taping the antenna inside the dash. beats the hell out of me, but this sucks lol
Old 06-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I ordered and I have the 15821030 GPS antenna but the pig tail is way too short to mount the antenna in the correct location and reach the back of the nav. The antenna will mount perfectly in the factory location but I don't understand why the pig tail is so short. I haven't installed the nav unit yet and I won't until I get the correct wires/cables installed first. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

ill double check on my part number and get back to you. did you run your VSS wire yet>?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Teching In

No, why do I have to run a separate wire? I'm trying to duplicate the factory setup and if I need to replace/add wire bundles or jumpers I will but I don't want to cut any of the existing wires nor should I have to if my 08 has every other option other than nav.

Quick Reply: Factory NAV Experts step inside please :-)