LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

New Turbo GXP...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some other updates:

Tap’d the front of the oil pan to provide better oil return flow
Open oil feed orifice to turbo – should extend it’s lifespan!
Redid the external trans fluid filter lines
Went to the PF63 oil filter = longer version of stock PF48
Gave the Turbo a few more coats of 2000* VHT
Installed poly inserts to radaitor support mount

New Tires – saw everyone likes the 275/40’s so got a set of Cooper Zeon’s – feel good so far!

It’s recommended to give the LSD a few hundred miles before beating on it, so I’m being patient. I can say it’s noticeable with just a little throttle and the wheel turned.

I was concerned the 3.29 gears would take away too much of my cruise RPM, but am happy to find that 70 mph is 2100 rpm.

I’ve got an LS6 intake to install, but hoping to get a baseline before I do. Also got the CTS-V 4 piston brake calipers to install when it’s time for brakes.
Attached Thumbnails New Turbo GXP...-img_4379-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_4401-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_4402-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_4403-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_4406-large-.jpg  

New Turbo GXP...-img_4407-large-.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by x11 nut
Some other updates:

Tap’d the front of the oil pan to provide better oil return flow
Open oil feed orifice to turbo – should extend it’s lifespan!
Redid the external trans fluid filter lines
Went to the PF63 oil filter = longer version of stock PF48
Gave the Turbo a few more coats of 2000* VHT
Installed poly inserts to radaitor support mount

New Tires – saw everyone likes the 275/40’s so got a set of Cooper Zeon’s – feel good so far!

It’s recommended to give the LSD a few hundred miles before beating on it, so I’m being patient. I can say it’s noticeable with just a little throttle and the wheel turned.

I was concerned the 3.29 gears would take away too much of my cruise RPM, but am happy to find that 70 mph is 2100 rpm.

I’ve got an LS6 intake to install, but hoping to get a baseline before I do. Also got the CTS-V 4 piston brake calipers to install when it’s time for brakes.
nice man BTW those ZZP mounts can act up after a while the intense ones are one piece and made of a harder durometer poly. how much did the diff run.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 AM
12 Second Club

Diff is $625 shipped, $200 core - takes a week or two cause they disassemble and machine the gear faces to seat the clutches.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 91parkave
nice man BTW those ZZP mounts can act up after a while the intense ones are one piece and made of a harder durometer poly. how much did the diff run.
Thanx, and I'll keep an eye on the mount - didn't know Intense made some. I got this ZZP one for $25 so figured I'd try it out..
Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure you swap the bleeders and crossover pipes of the calipers. Each caliper is side-specific so just swapping the caliper side-to-side isn't the right way to do it.

The left side caliper needs to remain the left side caliper. This applies to the front CTS-V, Camaro SS, and G8 GXP front calipers. If using the STS-V front calipers, there is no need to perform this modification.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diff is $625 shipped, $200 core - takes a week or two cause they disassemble and machine the gear faces to seat the clutches.
Who does the differential?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

His name is Jeff, his user name here is PontiacJeff - he was recently posting about an LS4 in his Montana.

http://www.engineered.net/eplsd.htm
Old 07-16-2013, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

Finished break in period for the LSD and took a road trip, so here's a driving update;

Trans shifts are wicked quick (GM Tech2 shows .1 second shift time= awesome!)

LSD is completely worth it = no more torque steer !!

3.29 gears definately make it more snappy, if that's a way to say it. Only down side is highway mileage was down 1-2mpg.

2800 stall work well - can't single it out vs 3.29's since they changed at the same time.

So, short & nasty - eliminate wave plates, extra clutches, 3.29 gears, LSD, 2800 stall converter = sweet trans setup!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn sweet build man!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Teching In

You heard about the 1" chain ZZP coming out with sept this year? Its only 750.99

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...-Chainset.aspx
Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 AM

Hey All,

Just thought I'd drop some pics - spent last weekend installing a CarTuning kit into my 07' GXP. I bought my GXP a year ago as a factory certified, so I've been waiting for the warranty to run out (I know I still have powertrain). It's got a whopping 34k on it now!

In addition to the kit, I installed an inline filter for the trans fluid and a trans cooler. I'll post on the sticky about it, but my bud is a 35+ GM trans guy and he says the way to prevent problems in the 4T65e's is to put extra magnets in the pan (GM bulletin) and use an external filter (not GM published). He says most failures he's dealt with are the result of particulate build up in the shift/ pressure solenoids and valve body, so only way to prevent it is to run inline filter. I've built many trans with him an not had a problem yet. ***Disclaimer*** If you disagree with this, I respect your position but lets not start and argument!

Also, I tucked the alki injection pump, ported a set of exhaust manifolds and had them ceramic coated. I took the time to put wire loom on all the vacuum lines because I wanted a clean look...

I'm not a track purist, so I'll just say it feels like a rocket !! I really like the fact that just cruising you can't tell there's any mods = it's quiet and smooth like stock, but stab the throttle and your gone !!!
Hey man, I want your car, I want to do everything you did to this car to mine, however, how are you finding these parts. Every time I look into performance parts like these, they all say they won't fit the GXP, but it's obviously fitting because I'm looking dead at it in the pics you provided. If you would, please PM me your phone number, I need to talk to you. Also, does any of these mods throw you check engine light?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by centergod79
Hey man, I want your car, I want to do everything you did to this car to mine, however, how are you finding these parts. Every time I look into performance parts like these, they all say they won't fit the GXP, but it's obviously fitting because I'm looking dead at it in the pics you provided. If you would, please PM me your phone number, I need to talk to you. Also, does any of these mods throw you check engine light?
Thanx, the trans spacer, gear sprockets & chain, and billet 3rd piston came from CarTuning - same as Turbo kit. The turbo kit includes tuning the ECM & TCM so there are no codes. I ordered the torque converter thru a local supplier. The LSD is done by a shop in Atlanta. Far as finding them... read the forums, web searches and ask'd questions !!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Launching!

want level is extremely high in this sector.

excellent work. tempting.

I should just leave my 08 stock and off it before i grenade the trans. it's not if but when with these cars and i don't want the hassle...

but how sweet it would be to have turbos on both my DD GXP and my Hayabusa...(btw the busa is 460whp E85. 8.39 @ 180mph. i like it)
Old 08-09-2013, 02:52 AM
12 Second Club

It would be very sweet to have both your rides turbo'd!! The busa sounds nasty... I plan on having my GXP for a long time so didn't take much to convince myself. If you plan on turbo, plan on trans - I'd say the trans build is worth it by itself because it improved the way it drives so much.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:29 AM
Launching!

...The busa sounds nasty...
We'd need a whole other thread just to discuss everything in that bike. It is nasty indeed.

Your car is a whole other breed of awesome. lots of time and money. probably more of the 2nd than the first but hey...can't take it with you!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fubar569

Your car is a whole other breed of awesome. lots of time and money. probably more of the 2nd than the first but hey...can't take it with you!
Thanx! I'd say more time as I've done all the work myself - two reasons really, it's lots cheaper and I don't trust shops to put the same effort and care I do... A co worker of mine had a turbo kit put on his 10' Mustang and the labor cost as much as the kit !!

The LS4 Turbo kit is $5500, trans parts ran @ $2k and should be fairly bulletproof. Add about $500 for ceramic coating, heat wrap, etc and I've got about $8k in mods. I bought my GXP with only 24k miles for $16K, so the way I look at it is there are very few cars you can get for under $24k that will run with it...
Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Default CTS-V Brakes & Stainless lines...

So I finally got a day to play with my GXP, so I installed the CTS-V brakes I got for it. Also installed some stainless lines and flushed the fluid... fun stuff.

Quick and nasty - they feel great, pedal response is very quick and definitely
stops hard!

For anyone else wanting to upgrade - don't bother with the washers from McMaster-Carr, they're too thick. The 1/2" fender washers from Home Depot (in orange bag) work perfect to center calipers on the rotors. \

I ordered a set of extended stainless lines from ZZperformance, but the ones for the rear don't work right on the rear GXP calipers. I had a set of Russell W-body stainless lines for my project car and the rear from that kit worked. Also, the ZZPerformance lines needed a double or thick brass washer to center the fluid port on the banjo bolts. Peep da pics

Now if I can get a long weekend to install the LS6 intake and ported TB.
Attached Thumbnails New Turbo GXP...-img_5189-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5193-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5194-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5196-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5202-large-.jpg  

New Turbo GXP...-img_5203-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5205-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5206-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5207-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5211-large-.jpg  

Old 11-17-2013, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

More pics..
Attached Thumbnails New Turbo GXP...-img_5209-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5208-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5210-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5214-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5215-large-.jpg  

New Turbo GXP...-img_5216-large-.jpg   New Turbo GXP...-img_5217-large-.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 08:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

showoff....lol i guess i gotta step up my braking game since everyone else is doing it.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Teching In

I approve of this.

Quick Reply: New Turbo GXP...