Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Swap...Parts list and ordering in a week or two

So I'm compiling a list of parts with links to order my stuff for cam swap

A few side notes of current mods and things i have to install now:
I have poly dog bone bushing
Tune - mainly transmission tuning as of now due to future plans
Transmission cooler (radiator bypass and cooler of all coolers)

Things i have to install now:
ls1 intake/injectors
ls2 Throttle body
ls7 Mass Air Flow sensor
fender well intake....4 inch diameter
Headers on the way

I have some other suspension stuff done and more to install...but doesn't really matter to the topic on hand at the moment.

Below is my list of what i have and comp cam is emailing me back tomorrow so I should know which cam/pushrods/springs to go with. Although I do think i wanna go dual spring just to be safe.

A couple questions I do have is rockers. I am aware that there is the comp cam trunion upgrade that will work with our rockers...but what other options do i have out there? 91parkave sent me this earlier http://www.maxchevy.com/tech/2007/ii_7-rocker-2.html

On the Lifters I'm sure i may be able to keep my eyes on the sales here and find someone selling some ls7 lifters instead of the nice new ones....although I do really wanna go with all new parts for this just cause.

Oil pump....is there a significant reason i should change over to an ls6 oil pump when doing a complete DoD/AFM removal @DavidGXP

Please those of you that have done the ls4 cam swap or know alot about it go over my list and let me know opinions...what im missing...or what i could do better. I do already have a torque wrench...but Ive had it a few years and it was a cheapo and for internal engine work i want a quality one. And fluids or anything I'll need please let me know as well.

I do also own and learning to use HPtuners. My plan is to get all the items necessary to do this cam install ordered soon and as soon as i return from deployment do it. I think i can do it on my own over a weeks time taking my time...although if i could find someone close...or within a reasonable driving time would be willing to have some help as well.

Parts
-Comp Cam
Quantity to order: 1

-Comp Cam Valve Springs
Quantity to order: 16

-Valve Lifter Guides http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12595365/
Quantity to order: 4

-Titanium Retainers

-Push Rods

-Lifters http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-17122490/

-ls6 Oil Pump http://store.katechengines.com/gen-34-oil-pump-p5.aspx

-Rockers (Possibly Trunion upgrade)
If went with Trunion upgrade only one kit, if bought new Rockers then would need 16 of them. Haven’t decided which rockers I would go with.
Quantity to order: 1 (or 16 depending)

-Head Gaskets http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cgt-...make/chevrolet
Quantity to order: 2

-Valley Cover BrianTooleyRacing

-Head Bolt Kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...0568/overview/
Quantity to order: 2

-Valve Cover Gaskets http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fe...w/make/pontiac

-Timing Cover Gasket Set

-Front Water pump cover to block

-Harmonic Balancer Bolt http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...7840/overview/

-Timing Chain http://store.katechengines.com/c5-r-...chain-p30.aspx

Fluids/Chemicals/Tools Needed
-Permatex Copper Spray http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2362&ppt=C1984

-Valve Spring Compressor http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-5462/overview/

-Magnetic Tool for Pulling Valve Springs Retainers Off

-Better Torque Wrench (in. & ft. pounds)

-Flex Plate Holding Tool http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/Fly...EN-47699-U.htm

-½ inch Drive Angle Meter

-Harmonic Balancer Pulley Puller/Installer http://www.handsontools.com/Kent-Moo...6_p_16258.html
http://www.handsontools.com/Kent-Moo...A_p_16251.html
http://www.etoolcart.com/frontcranks...r-j-41478.aspx

-ARM M11/M8 Clean out chasers

-PushRod Checking tool

Edit: Added oil pump to my parts list
added links to the tools and fluids i need to get.

Last edited by saltybreadstick; 01-08-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get rid of the DoD pump, I lost my first engine because I left it in there, plus it'll cost you power. Secondly pushrods should be the last thing you order. You won't know the proper length until you have everything installed and can use a pushrod length checker. I'd also use brand new lifters. Better safe than sorry, it would suck to spend all that money and time just to lose it all because you tried saving a few bucks.

Also I wouldn't waste time and money on the LS2 TB and LS7 MAF. I've proven it nets you 0 gains over the stock stuff. You've got to be moving a LOT of air to benefit from them. It'll save you time tuning and money.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lVloses
Get rid of the DoD pump, I lost my first engine because I left it in there, plus it'll cost you power. Secondly pushrods should be the last thing you order. You won't know the proper length until you have everything installed and can use a pushrod length checker. I'd also use brand new lifters. Better safe than sorry, it would suck to spend all that money and time just to lose it all because you tried saving a few bucks.
I do plan to use new lifters. Is an ls6 pump a straight swap with our ls4 oil pump?
Recommendations on rockers?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Yes it is, and I'm not sure about the rockers. I honestly don't have much experience in that category and just went with the HS rockers that came with my kit.

Last edited by lVloses; 01-06-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Cool. I'll add a ls6 oil pump to my swap parts collection. Got a part number for it?
What all gaskets did u end up needing? I've got head gaskets
But still need to find timing cover gasket and any other one/s I'll need
Old 01-06-2014, 01:01 AM
TECH Regular

If you don't plan on doing heads you could bump compression up with thinner gaskets to get you some more power. Here's the ones I'm running:
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cgt-...make/chevrolet

And here's the LS6 oil pump I'm using:
http://store.katechengines.com/gen-34-oil-pump-p5.aspx
Old 01-06-2014, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

206 bucks for head gaskets....hold dog poo. would thos really be worth the extra 150 over the ones i have listed in my original post.

And thanks for the oil pump link. i do prefer to use as much new things as possible for the cam
Old 01-06-2014, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by saltybreadstick
206 bucks for head gaskets....hold dog poo. would thos really be worth the extra 150 over the ones i have listed in my original post. And thanks for the oil pump link. i do prefer to use as much new things as possible for the cam
Depends how serious you are about this lol. Or you could just as easily mill the heads down some to bump compression.

Also for a timing chain I used this:
http://store.katechengines.com/c5-r-...chain-p30.aspx

It was recommended by DavidGXP for its strength and durability. There's three parts to the triangle. Fast, cheap, reliable. Pick 2 lol
Old 01-06-2014, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

serious...i want to do it right the first time. Not to worried about making tons and tons of power....as i am learning so i can move to better things. After i do this swap and the TEP tranny it will probably be the last thing besides cleaning the car and basic maintenance i do. unless something brakes. How much power gains would i gain with going with those gaskets?
I though about having some head work done...but to be honest i don't really want to. maybe a cleaning while its all stripped down but that's about it.

but....if their stronger, and over all better it would probably be better for me to go with them. And this is going to be my first actual engine tear down/build. So for the sake of reliability i will go with those head gaskets.

BTW things i havent put a link to yet i havent found what i want yet lol. still need to find some things. thaks for the timing chain. i want to replace the stock one while its all apart. Car only has 52k miles on it
Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 AM
TECH Regular

serious...i want to do it right the first time. Not to worried about making tons and tons of power....as i am learning so i can move to better things. After i do this swap and the TEP tranny it will probably be the last thing besides cleaning the car and basic maintenance i do. unless something brakes. How much power gains would i gain with going with those gaskets? I though about having some head work done...but to be honest i don't really want to. maybe a cleaning while its all stripped down but that's about it. but....if their stronger, and over all better it would probably be better for me to go with them. And this is going to be my first actual engine tear down/build. So for the sake of reliability i will go with those head gaskets. BTW things i havent put a link to yet i havent found what i want yet lol. still need to find some things. thaks for the timing chain. i want to replace the stock one while its all apart. Car only has 52k miles on it
For the reliability part I was talking about the timing chain, not the head gaskets lol.

And honestly it all depends on your setup. If you're running a big cam you'll need more compression. However if you're running a small cam you might have too much compression and have to retard timing. I'm running too much compression on my setup and am missing out on 10-15whp my tuner says. But I have 58cc heads with those gaskets. With stock heads and those gaskets you'll be looking at a decent power gain. On pump gas you want your DCR between 8.4 and 8.6 for max power. If you know your cam specs go plug it into a calculator (or I can do it if you don't want to) and you can figure out where you'll be at. If you want a guess as to power increase, people always say a full point of SCR will net you 3% more power.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

For the reliability part I was talking about the timing chain, not the head gaskets lol.

And honestly it all depends on your setup. If you're running a big cam you'll need more compression. However if you're running a small cam you might have too much compression and have to retard timing. I'm running too much compression on my setup and am missing out on 10-15whp my tuner says. But I have 58cc heads with those gaskets. With stock heads and those gaskets you'll be looking at a decent power gain. On pump gas you want your DCR between 8.4 and 8.6 for max power. If you know your cam specs go plug it into a calculator (or I can do it if you don't want to) and you can figure out where you'll be at. If you want a guess as to power increase, people always say a full point of SCR will net you 3% more power.
Haven't fully picked or decided on a cam yet. I want it to sound really good...but I also don't want it to be so aggressive it ruins drive ability or makes for a tuning nightmare. So which cam or cam kit I get is still up in the air
Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

Haven't fully picked or decided on a cam yet. I want it to sound really good...but I also don't want it to be so aggressive it ruins drive ability or makes for a tuning nightmare. So which cam or cam kit I get is still up in the air
Honestly the cam I have is perfect for DD and power gains. I do wish I went with their next size up but I plan to do something about that in the near future. Mines 216/220 .56/.56 while DavidGXP's was 218/222 I believe and around .59/.59. Anywhere between 216/220 and 220/224 I don't think you'll be disappointed in power and drivability. Much bigger and it won't be a fun DD, while going smaller you may not be as satisfied with the power.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:41 AM
Staging Lane

U have any videos idle and driving?
Ive been browsing a lot past week here for can swaps and would love to hear a current video of a couple of the guys on here at idle....and Davids I dunno which is his current set up and which isn't lol

Last edited by saltybreadstick; 01-06-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Also I wouldn't waste time and money on the LS2 TB and LS7 MAF. I've proven it nets you 0 gains over the stock stuff. You've got to be moving a LOT of air to benefit from them. It'll save you time tuning and money.
When exactly did you prove ls2 TB , and ls7 maf do nothing? Also you don't have to order from katech to get simple things like oil pumps and head gaskets. There like 10 million other vendors offering the same for less.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 91parkave
When exactly did you prove ls2 TB , and ls7 maf do nothing? Also you don't have to order from katech to get simple things like oil pumps and head gaskets. There like 10 million other vendors offering the same for less.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-perfo...ldnt-done.html

I did gain torque, but that's the manifold giving me the gains, not the LS2 TB or LS7 MAF. With the ported LS2 TB I did get nicer throttle response but that's it. And I was just showing him what I had gotten, not telling him he NEEDS to get that specific oil pump.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

I plan to keep the ls2 throttle body and the MAF.

On the oil pump when I go to order parts next week I do intend to search around for better deals.

Any recommendations for rockers though? Still haven't decided what I wanna do there
Old 01-06-2014, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 211 Likes on 103 Posts

My recommendation is to get the cam with the lift you want and keep the rockers stock (or do the trunnion bearing upgrade). The stock rockers are very light, stiff and stable at higher RPMs.

The gains shown in the article were mostly from going to 1.8 ratio rockers... If you get the right lift with your cam, you don't need to spend more $$$ on the rockers.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fieroguru
My recommendation is to get the cam with the lift you want and keep the rockers stock (or do the trunnion bearing upgrade). The stock rockers are very light, stiff and stable at higher RPMs.

The gains shown in the article were mostly from going to 1.8 ratio rockers... If you get the right lift with your cam, you don't need to spend more $$$ on the rockers.
Noted i just figured since it'll all be apart why not replace the rockers as well. Id be willing to spend the money. I emailed comp cams and here is their response to me asking what they think about
216/220 & .56/.56
218/222 & .59/.59

Hi,
I like where you are on the duration, but i would go a little lower on the lift if this is going to be mostly street driven.
We can custom grind a cam for you and would cost $399.68 and take 3-5 business days to make.

Let me know if you want to get this going

Thanks,
Matt

Now being this is my first cam and Ive never been this deep in a motor I'm not a 100% sure of what i want.
I do know i dont want one this bad

although that does sounds sick as sh*t would like to know some specs of others cams and maybe a couple videos so I can see what i like.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

another thing i need to add to my list before i forget is a pushrod length checker. When looking on comp cams sight they have many many options to choose from. Which type and design of length checker should i get?

Edit: if my math serves me right....this should be about the one ill need.
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...y_Code=PSHRDTL

please correct me if I'm wrong
Old 01-08-2014, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Nice parts list. I am lazy now days, but I will try to help you out.

Recommend:

OEM head gaskets
OEM head bolts
OEM balancer bolt
OEM rockers or 1.8 rockers with the Lunati cam (yes 1.8)
OEM LS2 lifter buckets
OEM LS2/LS7 lifters
OEM camshaft retainer
OEM LS6/LS2 oil pump
OEM timing cover gasket
OEM intake gaskets (improved design LS6)
Katech valley cover kit (NON DOD)
Lunati pushrods
Lunati Dual valve springs (I will never use beehive again)
Lunati voodoo camshaft 212/223 cam (great street cam 6200-6500 rpm shifts) no
Katech c5r single roller chain
DT headers
Single 3" into dual 2.5" exhaust
OEM balancer (improved LS4 design) DONT RISK USING THE OLD ONE
Do not mill the factory heads or have them ported. Just have them professionally cleaned and the valves checked (exhaust seats take a beating)
OEM MAF/TB with CAI of your choice
LS6 intake w/LS4 TB adapter

This combo is keeping it simple and cheap. It should put down 320-330 whp with tuning

Last edited by DavidGXP; 01-08-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Cam Swap...Parts list and ordering in a week or two