LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Diablo Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4
Does Predator remove timing from stock? You will see KR on any stock 5.3 car WOT in 3rd gear beyond 4K RPM. Cool, Predator de-tunes our cars!!! LOL
How does eliminating knock retard 'detune' a car?
If you are seeing that much KR you are losing power!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Teching In

http://www.diablosport.com/index.php...display&pid=68

Do we need to worry about Release 99 (current)(REQUIRES: Newest Calibration Update from GM Dealer) disclaimer?

I just got my Predator and have already removed the tune after one day of surging. Has anyone installed the new E40-8r01 tune?
Old 10-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Default SS Surging Issue

Mike at Diablo told me Not to use the New file on their site, it Doesn't work. They sent me a Tune yesterday which so far seems to work on my 2006 Impala SS.

Bob
Old 10-15-2006, 06:03 AM
Teching In

Default Had to send DIABLOSPORT PREDATOR back-06 Monte SS

Just sent my Diablosport back due to surging. I was originally told back in late September that it would take 2 weeks for them to get corrected. Called them back and they state they do not have an ETA date.

Before they put a product out, they need to make sure it is correct. We have new vehicles pretty much and I do not want a tranny or engine to go out. The new file on their site does not work as was previously stated.

I am more familiar with SUPERCHIPS. I hope they come out with a tuner.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by boba17
Mike at Diablo told me Not to use the New file on their site, it Doesn't work. They sent me a Tune yesterday which so far seems to work on my 2006 Impala SS.

Bob
Its not so much that the 8r01 rev. does not work...its fine. The 8r01 is not however the fix for the DOD issue. Upgrading to this revision will have no ill side effects.
We are currently working on these tunes as we speak. I will post here when we have solved the DOD issue.Thanks for your patience guys...
Hey boba17, any more impressions of that tune we sent ya?
Thanks
Mike
Old 10-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Default 2006 Impala SS Surging Problems

Mike from Diablo is Correct on their newest tune, I should have stated the DOD issue is still there, and their currently working on it to resolve this issue. In fact, I'm using my 2006 Impala SS as a test vehicle whenever needed. I received a tune last Friday and tested the vehicle all weekend and I concur with another Diablo tester with these latest results:

The latest tune has great upper RPM pull. Low RPM’s leave something to be desired though. Fuel mileage is up about 3 MPG. DOD activates great but it still has a slight surge. When your speed is up above 50 MPH you really don’t notice it to much but at low speed it is still noticeable. Throttle response is good on the upper RPM range but from a stand still it is still slow. The stock tune has better bottom end. If they can improve the bottom and keep the top it will be golden.

Diablo staff have been more than willing to help me resolve these problems, and I appreciate their willingness to let me be a tester, thanks to Mike and Johan.

Bob
Old 10-16-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK guys, we got it!
We are planning to release a new revision which will give you the option of two tunes. One will be called WOT performance, which will be similar to the current tune, with all the power, still with a slight DOD issue, for racing, performance driving scenarios.The second will be a street tune, with no DOD issue, with a slight loss of power from the WOT tune, yet still a solid improvement over what is out there now(and over stock).
Please let me know if you guys have any input on this matter.
Thanks
Mike@Diablosport
(the new revision will be posted as soon as we finalize how to set up these tunes with input from you guys, as what you guys want is what matters the most!)
Old 10-17-2006, 07:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey sprayjunkie...

for those of us evaluating the different tunes available, I don't know if I'd want to risk my engine/tranny by using the one that still has the DOD issue...

so what are the differences and performance gains from stock to the street tune with no DOD issue??

also, I will be installing this cold air intake in a couple days:

http://coldairinductions.com/W-BodyLS4V8ColdAirBox.html

is there a tuning parameter for a cold air intake in the Predator, or is it already adjusted for a cold air intake with the performance tune, or would nothing need to be changed for this?? How would this work?

Thx!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 10-17-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

I'm kinda curious, what editing program are you guys using to create PCM maps for these cars? Are you having trouble communicating with the transmission controller to reduce requested torque management vs. wiping engine torque management in the engine controller affecting DOD transitions?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
Hey sprayjunkie...

for those of us evaluating the different tunes available, I don't know if I'd want to risk my engine/tranny by using the one that still has the DOD issue...

so what are the differences and performance gains from stock to the street tune with no DOD issue??

also, I will be installing this cold air intake in a couple days:

http://coldairinductions.com/W-BodyLS4V8ColdAirBox.html

is there a tuning parameter for a cold air intake in the Predator, or is it already adjusted for a cold air intake with the performance tune, or would nothing need to be changed for this?? How would this work?

Thx!
The idea behind the WOT performance tune is to use it at the track, or during spirited driving. The street tune will have NO DOD issues. Boba17 is running our latest 'street tune' and has reported no issues. Hopefully he will chime in here as well with his experiences.
We appreciate any input you guys have, so keep it coming!
Thanks
Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4
I'm kinda curious, what editing program are you guys using to create PCM maps for these cars? Are you having trouble communicating with the transmission controller to reduce requested torque management vs. wiping engine torque management in the engine controller affecting DOD transitions?
We are using our CMR tuning software. Currently we do not communicate with the TCM, that feature is planned for later updates.

Hey 06MonteSS- almost forgot, the cold air intake should work just fine with the tunes provided. We'll try testing on a car with a cold air in the future to see if there are any gains available through more tuning.
thanks
Mike
Old 10-17-2006, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
Hey 06MonteSS- almost forgot, the cold air intake should work just fine with the tunes provided. We'll try testing on a car with a cold air in the future to see if there are any gains available through more tuning.
thanks
Mike
cool, thanks!

also, as per my other question:

what are the differences between, and performance gains from, stock to the street tune??

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 10-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Default Testing Diablo Performance Tunes

I'm currently running a 'Street Tune' developed by Johan at Diablo. I must say, it's the Fastest tune to date for my car. My son drove the drove the car with my observations. The car was driven in Drive at a 5 mph roll, very little tire spin, but a Tremendous lurch, and the low end torque was amazing, the speedometer went from 20 to 90mph, in no time at all.
My 'Street Tune' does Not use the DOD, nor do i want it! I have another 'Tune' file which has the DOD enabled and works just fine. My 'Street Tune' from Johan has more 'Top End Power'.
I want to thank Mike and Johan at Diablo for letting me tune their software, I love doing it, and my car is certainly faster than stock.

Bob
Old 10-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Has anybody Dynoed the tune yet?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by boba17
My 'Street Tune' does Not use the DOD

so even in [D] Drive, they totally disabled the DOD?? Or did they just fix the DOD issue they were having so you don't feel it now??

Old 10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Default Diablo Tunes

I have Two (2) tunes, one which had the DOD disabled, and is by far the Fastest tune. The second tune is with the DOD enabled, with no surging taking place, but not as fast due to Top End Power not programmed in the software.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Some one needs to get this to a dyno and let the world know the truth about these numbers. I really would like to know the difference between stock/street and street/race tune and the numbers they produce.
Tate
Old 10-18-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Compg
Some one needs to get this to a dyno and let the world know the truth about these numbers. I really would like to know the difference between stock/street and street/race tune and the numbers they produce.
Tate
Anyone in south Florida thats interested let me know, I'd love to get a car in here to show you guys some dyno numbers on both tunes.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

yeah please someone jump in. I cannot because I am in Nevada! LOL
Old 10-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Default I live in Fort Lauderdale and I own a 2006 SS IMP

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
Anyone in south Florida thats interested let me know, I'd love to get a car in here to show you guys some dyno numbers on both tunes.
Where is it that you are located? I my be interested. I have a bone stock 06 Impala SS with 3000 miles on it. Synthetic oil is the only thing I have done to the engine.

Quick Reply: Diablo Tuners