LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Diablo Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
just checkin'... ;-)

thought they might have been in the new 8r01 download...

is there any chance you could also let me (us) know what the changes are between the normal/stock settings and the "street tune"? What got changed/modified?

such as:

adjusted such-n-such-n-such to get XX more HP
adjusted such-n-such to get xx more torque
adjusted such-n-such to remove this and that
adjusted such-n-such to firm up shifts
adjusted such-n-such to increase shift points to xxxx
such-n-such affects DOD
adjusted this to do that
etc etc...

It would help to know what was adjusted to do what, so that when we're trying to do our own custom tunes, we would know what controls what, and be able to know what to expect.

And while I'm asking too many questions... LOL... where can I find the OBDII connector on my 2006 Monte Carlo SS??

(no, I don't have the tuner yet - but working on it... just gathering all of this knowledge ahead of time... ;-) )
I'm not sure there is space here to go over every thing we have changed in these tunes. Everything affects everything would be the easy answer. That's why we set up the parameters in the Predator to be as simple as possible, so you can easily make adjustments based on LTFT's or KR info.
Rest assured this is not just WOT tuning, as we spend several days on the dyno and street building these tunes to optimize horsepower, torque, throttle response, and mileage.
Thanks
Mike
Old 10-26-2006, 10:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99sprayjunkie
I'm not sure there is space here to go over every thing we have changed in these tunes. Everything affects everything would be the easy answer. That's why we set up the parameters in the Predator to be as simple as possible, so you can easily make adjustments based on LTFT's or KR info.
Rest assured this is not just WOT tuning, as we spend several days on the dyno and street building these tunes to optimize horsepower, torque, throttle response, and mileage.
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about.. "LTFT's or KR info" -- for guys like me that are new to the tuning scene - what the hell are LTFT's and KR info??

And on another point of mine... -- "make adjustments based on LTFT's or KR info" -- well, exactly what adjustments are based on LTFT's and KR info?? and what should they be set at??? and what adjustments are they exactly???

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

adjusted such-n-such to increase shift points to xxxx
Bad idea to do this, other than to make your car rev more but not accelerate any faster, maybe even slower. Check the torque curve vs. before/after shift rpm first.

hptuners.com forums have some pretty good explanations of the terminology and desired results of doing some PCM adjusting.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about.. "LTFT's or KR info" -- for guys like me that are new to the tuning scene - what the hell are LTFT's and KR info??

And on another point of mine... -- "make adjustments based on LTFT's or KR info" -- well, exactly what adjustments are based on LTFT's and KR info?? and what should they be set at??? and what adjustments are they exactly???

LTFT=long term fuel trims, expressed as a percentage.
KR=knock retard, usually expressed in degrees of timing.

I'm definitely not trying to knock you or anyone else, but these are complicated issues, requiring complicated explainations. Perhaps look into some of the info available on the web concerning PCM tuning, or check out the EFI101 courses that are offered.
Thanks
Mike
Old 10-27-2006, 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah, that's what I've been doing a little of today... finding some good info, and like you said, it's complicated LOL

Thanks Mike!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 10-27-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
LTFT=long term fuel trims, expressed as a percentage.
KR=knock retard, usually expressed in degrees of timing.

I'm definitely not trying to knock you or anyone else, but these are complicated issues, requiring complicated explainations. Perhaps look into some of the info available on the web concerning PCM tuning, or check out the EFI101 courses that are offered.
Thanks
Mike
Sometimes, it's just easier to buy the hand-held programmer and pick between Tune 1 or Tune 2. Like was said earlier, these tunes are based off experienced tuners "tweaking" over time; dyno results; durability concerns; etc. Learning to program on your brand new $30,000 car is a giant / expensive leap! A hand-held may be the way to go.

Look at 15 minutes in your garage -vs- you ECM being off balance until you can figure out what you need to bump next. You wanna be the guy with that black smoke rolling out of your SS??? Your car on the internet with the ricers posting "I beat a Monte Carlo SS with a V8 in it today ... here's the vid".
Old 10-27-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
Sometimes, it's just easier to buy the hand-held programmer and pick between Tune 1 or Tune 2. Like was said earlier, these tunes are based off experienced tuners "tweaking" over time; dyno results; durability concerns; etc. Learning to program on your brand new $30,000 car is a giant / expensive leap! A hand-held may be the way to go.

Look at 15 minutes in your garage -vs- you ECM being off balance until you can figure out what you need to bump next. You wanna be the guy with that black smoke rolling out of your SS??? Your car on the internet with the ricers posting "I beat a Monte Carlo SS with a V8 in it today ... here's the vid".
Well said....
Old 10-27-2006, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LOL I agree... that's why I was just going to load in the preset performance/street tune...

but after I learn more about this stuff, I figured it would be good to know what's what if I ever wanted to take a whack at my own custom tune.

Another question... if you create a custom tune and upload it to the Predator, does it delete/remove/overwrite any of the preloaded tunes that come on it?? Or does it get added to the list of tunes available - so then your menu choices in the predator would be Performance Tune, Street Tune, Custom Tune ???

Old 10-27-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, the new tune will show up as 'custom tune'. It will not replace the preloaded Predator tunes in this(U7191) tool.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For people that don't have the knowledge or experience with tunning, Hand-held programmers are the way to go for a while.

If you start modifying the engine heavily, a true custom tune in conjunction with a dyno and good diagnostic equipment is better. That is usually where shop's and HPT and EFI come into play.

06MonteSS, I'd stick with Custom Tunes and hand-held programmer for now. Tunning a PCM takes know-how, knowledge and GOOD diagnostic equipment like Wide-band O2's and such. Dyno time is also a good idea too...It get's expensive.

Last edited by Richiec77; 10-27-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Richiec77
For people that don't have the knowledge or experience with tunning, Hand-held programmers are the way to go for a while.

If you start modifying the engine heavily, a true custom tune in conjunction with a dyno and good diagnostic equipment is better. That is usually where shop's and HPT and EFI come into play.

06MonteSS, I'd stick with Custom Tunes and hand-held programmer for now. Tunning a PCM takes know-how, knowledge and GOOD diagnostic equipment like Wide-band O2's and such. Dyno time is also a good idea too...It get's expensive.
Yup, I totally agree. I haven't gotten my Predator hand-held yet, but when I do (in a couple weeks), I'm just going to use the pre-loaded tune(s) - since I'm new to the whole tuning scene and don't know what I'm doing with all those adjustments

But I figured once I do get into it more and learn what's going on with what, I'll already have answers to the questions I'd have. This is all a learning and information gathering escapade for me at this point.

Thanks everyone for all the answers/info you're providing, it's much appreciated!! I'm sure I'll have more questions...

Old 10-31-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

New update guys....please see my new thread!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Does the tune include like nutral rev-limiter increased(maybe about 5000rpm or so) and shifting point change???
Old 11-01-2006, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

how about showing a real dyno graph. not a half throttle, then going wot at 4k?

just me thinking. then again, people have no idea how hard it is to fine tune a car so it runs like stock, without any hiccups, or anything funky.

also think on a grand scale of things, the things some of you are asking for isn't a worry of the general public. it comes down to power, hp sells. shift points at 6150 don't.
if you want to change these things, to change the dod settings, buy hpt, or efi live. they are really not that hard to learn and tune if you have knowledge of how an engine works and how certain things will affect it,

Last edited by Area47; 11-01-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yuimyt
Does the tune include like nutral rev-limiter increased(maybe about 5000rpm or so) and shifting point change???
Im not sure about a neutral rev limit increase, and these Predators still do not have the capability to communicate with the TCM, so adjustable shift points are not yet available. This revision does include a fix for the DOD issued by experienced in the early revisions. It also updates the Predator to allow you to use our new CMR DAT viewer 3.0. This is an awesome tool, available as a free download on Diablosports website. Check it out.

Anyone can download this, and it comes with some sample logs. It is worth checking out even if you dont have a Predator....yet.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

if you can't communicate with the TCM yet, how were the shifts firmed-up and/or made quicker? I believe I read that somewhere, that it shifts firmer and quicker now with one of these last updates...

Old 11-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99sprayjunkie
Im not sure about a neutral rev limit increase,
I mean with gear in Park, we can only rev upto 3500rpm. To hear my flowmaster sound real good, I want to rev up to around 5000.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

if you can't communicate with the TCM yet, how were the shifts firmed-up and/or made quicker? I believe I read that somewhere, that it shifts firmer and quicker now with one of these last updates...
I second this question. And thanks to everyone for providing all the feedback on their tunes. I am still trying to get my car to even use a tune! I keep getting an error. See Sprayjunkies new thread for more details on my problem.

Quick Reply: Diablo Tuners