LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

SS remote srart.. grumbles..

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is an RF system, lighting has no bearing on function. Maybe at your work there is a higher background RF level affecting range compared to your house
Old 10-27-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

In my office right now, standing 30' away from my car looking through a double-paned window, i needed to put the fob to my chin to get the range. This a bunch of BS. It has everything to do with the fact that the system is not properly grounded and sh!tty electronics.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
I can be up on the second floor of my house and at the opposite end of the house away from the garage, and I can start my car. But put it outside at work, where the sun/glare is shining in the windows on the dash, and I have to be at about 20' before the remote will work... so I know lighting and the way it hits the dash sensor definitely plays a role...
The dash sensor is for your headlights, the antenna for the remote keyless entry/start is in the windshield.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yah, look up on the front drivers side.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE.. after telling them to get on the ball and FIX IT!.. they ended up looking into some GM tech doc's and ordered a new receiver unit and 2 new key fobs.. will go back in tomorrow for the install.. i will update then..
Old 10-31-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm, interesting.
must be a imp/mc ordeal only.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Took the car to the dealer today because one of the fob's stopped working. The guy told me that GM is aware of the problems with the remote start and keyless entry. Only the Impala and Monte affected. He wouldn't give me a new one but said they will have a fix early 07 and basicly will install a new antennea and 2 new transmitters. He said it won't be a recall it will only be a fix to people that complain about it.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yup, that's true... I called my service guy earlier today about the same issue - the fob range and also the Service Tire Monitor System message issue... same fix for both, since they all rely on the remote receiver - and he said the same thing... they'll try the software update first, but he said it only works for about 20% of people - other than that you have to wait until Q1 2007 for the new fix to come out, which includes new coax antenna cable, new remotes, and new receiver.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 12-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

No remote start troubles to report.. BUT even if the car is locked, I have to lock it again before the remote start will work for some reason.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_SS
No remote start troubles to report.. BUT even if the car is locked, I have to lock it again before the remote start will work for some reason.

yes, that's the way it's supposed to be... you have to hit the lock button first, then hold down the start button... it's designed that way, it's normal.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 12-20-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Designed to keep your kids from hitting one button and starting it up...having the key in your purse (or pocket) and accidentally pressing the right button.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine works fine from a good 1/4 mile away

i can sit in my cube at work, which is about 100 yards from my car, and start it.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

what it causing it is the ground behind a pillar. its grounded with a plastic christmas tree. the gm bulletin says to use a self tapping screw to ground it so we did it to my car and replaced the RCDLR and now i can do it from far far away. problem solved.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Latest Guess

Document ID# 1875244

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Remote Keyless Entry (Inop/Intermittent Function) Or Tire Pressure Monitor Concerns - keywords fob RCDLR RKE RVS start TIMS TPM transmitter vehicle #PIC4325A - (12/01/2006)

Models: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was updated with the latest information on the RKE and TPM concerns, advising dealers of the upcoming TSB. Please discard PIC4325.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The vehicle may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

The RCDLR and RKE Transmitters will not function after the serial data bus has gone to sleep.
Intermittently inoperative Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) - A condition of intermittent operation of the RKE transmitters (key fobs) has been identified.
Poor RKE range and/or Service Tire Monitor System message
RKE inoperative after programming any module on the vehicle
New RKE transmitters cannot be programmed
Vehicle may display low fob battery.
Recommendation/Instructions:
A new coax antenna has been developed for the Impala and Monte Carlo. The new coax antenna and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for all the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) and Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) concerns will be available in January 2007. Do not attempt any further repairs for any RKE or TPM concern on the 2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala or Monte Carlo until the TSB is released.

Note: The parts that were available through the Warranty Parts Center (WPC) have been exhausted and no additional parts will be available through the WPC.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1875244
Old 12-21-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the info. My 06 Impala has poor range. Guess I'll wait until spring to take it in.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Default remote issues

hi all,
I have had the same remote issue (will only work 10-20 feet from the car). I brought the car back 5 times!!!! first it was my EZ-pass then my cell phone. then the charger to my cell phone. even though it is not my daily driver it was starting to get annoying. finally the said the attenna had a bad ground. after this was fixed i have not had a problem since.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

yes it is a bad ground causing it. the ground is held in by a plastic christmas tree, when u go to dealer they will put a self tapping screw in place of the plastic tree and problem solved
Old 12-30-2006, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

This week I started to have the Service Tire Pressure Monitor message appear when the car went over 65MPH. The car was not receiving a reading from the passenger side rear tire. Everytime I slowed down, it was able to read the sensor.

Is this the same problem that is caused by the bad grounding?

This car is starting to annoy me.

Had the following problems so far:

300 miles (owned car for only 4 days), blown fuse for transmission shift solenoid. Dealer replaced fuse, problem has not reoccurred.

1500 miles (owned car for 1 month) get the Service Tire Pressure Monitor message each time I drive on the highway.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^I had the same problem with the rear passender side tire. However, mine only did it once, right at the start of a trip.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Teching In

My monte has had all of the above problems since almost new. Tire sensor error, remote start not working one day, then working the next. It is stored away now for the winter so I am not too concerned, as soon as the weather is better I will take it in to get fixed...

Jaosn

Quick Reply: SS remote srart.. grumbles..