LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

SS remote srart.. grumbles..

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default SS remote srart.. grumbles..

i have the factory remote start and this thing has NO range. even the remote locks have no range. is this normal? like 10-20 feet is all i get.. whats the deal?? batts??
Old 10-25-2006, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noticed the same with mine, ever the lock, unlock features on both my remotes. Really starting to **** me off. Going to take it to the dealer pretty soon, to have it checked out. I think it is supposed to be like 200ft. working distance. I get like 10-15 feet.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I havent had a problem with mine. I live in an apartment and the garages are attached on the other end of the buliding and it starts fine sitting in my apartment. This is going thru a few walls and a pretty good distance. Mine's an '07 Impala though. I wonder if its just a problem on the 06 models. Just Monte Carlos maybe?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Teching In

I'll tell you one thing I am unhappy about though.........creaking. I dont even have a thousand miles on the car and have developed a creak somewhere around that pillar that the seatbelt is attached to on the passanger side. Gimme a break.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

my remote start works great...you could always try the old trick of putting the tip of the keypad under your chin to increase the range. Seems like when you hit the lock and the remote start the second time it doesn't always add that extra 10 mintues. One other problem I have is driving when its dark the dash lights will flicker once and awhile, doesn't matter how fast I am going but seems like it is worse when I am stopped. It doesnt happen to the lights for the radio or heater though.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I get about 75 feet I would say
Old 10-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by maintainin
I'll tell you one thing I am unhappy about though.........creaking. I dont even have a thousand miles on the car and have developed a creak somewhere around that pillar that the seatbelt is attached to on the passanger side. Gimme a break.
Same here! Only its more of a rattle. same area as you describe.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

i am a GM tech and i had the same issue. had to be next to my car to get it to auto start. here is the fix. its an updated software.

Document ID# 1866294
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Remote Keyless Entry (Inop/Intermittent Function) Or Tire Pressure Monitor Concerns - keywords fob RCDLR RKE RVS start TIMS TPM transmitter vehicle #PIC3764N - (10/11/2006)

Models: 2006-2007 Buick Lucerne

2006-2007 Cadillac DTS

2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo

2007 Cadillac Escalade and SRX Models

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe, Equinox

2007 GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali Models

2007 Pontiac Torrent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was updated to include check fob battery message and to clarify other concerns and repairs in the PI. Please discard PIC3764M.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The vehicle may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

The RCDLR and RKE Transmitters will not function after the serial data bus has gone to sleep.
Intermittently inoperative Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) - A condition of intermittent operation of the RKE transmitters (key fobs) has been identified.
Poor RKE range and/or Service Tire Monitor System message
RKE inoperative after programming any module on the vehicle
New RKE transmitters cannot be programmed
Vehicle may display low fob battery.
The RKE and Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) are functions of the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) with the exception of the 2006 Lucerne which uses the EBCM for Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) since there are no tire pressure sensors mounted inside the wheels.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Note:: When programming a new or existing RCDLR the programming instructions in SI for the must be followed. On vehicles equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM), if the tire type and tire pressure are not selected in module setup on the Tech 2, the RCDLR will not retain the tire pressures after the TPM system is learned.

RCDLR and both RKE Transmitters Will Not Function After the Serial Data Bus Has Gone to Sleep:
⇒ Open the drivers door to wake up the serial data bus, then verify the RCDLR functions normally, both transmitter will function.

⇒ Program RCDLR with the latest software available in TIS (New S/W released 9/18/06)

⇒ Steps to follow after programming, refer to SI Control Module References for RCDLR.

⇒ Verify RKE functions after vehicle serial data bus off conditions, 12 - 15 minutes from off powermode. (vehicle doors must be closed, keys out of vehicle and no scan tool connected).

⇒ If RKE will not function open drivers door to wake up serial data bus.

⇒ Replace the RCDLR .

⇒ Program RCDLR with the latest software available in TIS (New S/W released 9/18/06)

⇒ Steps to follow after programming, refer to SI Control Module References for RCDLR.

⇒ Verify RKE functions after vehicle serial data bus off conditions, 12 - 15 minutes from off powermode. (vehicle doors must be closed, keys out of vehicle and no scan tool connected).

Intermittently Inoperative Remote Keyless Entry (RKE): One or more RKE transmitters will not program or function.

Note: If both transmitters will not function confirm item A above.

⇒ Verify concern and attempt to relearn the transmitter(s) to the vehicle.

⇒ If the transmitter operation returns to normal following the relearn function, the inoperative condition may return, new RKE transmitters will be available in late October 2006 to correct the condition.

⇒ If the transmitter operation does not return to normal after transmitter learn, press and hold the Lock, Unlock and Panic buttons simultaneously. Attempt to relearn transmitter(s). The inoperative condition may return, new RKE transmitters will be available in late October 2006 to correct the condition.

⇒ If neither method will restore the transmitter function. New RKE transmitters will be available in late October 2006 to correct the condition. (note: current service stock may correct the condition temporally)

Poor RKE Range and/or Service Tire Monitor System (TPM lost individual sensor data) (Applies to Car models only Impala, Monte Carlo, DTC and Lucerne):

⇒ Follow the diagnostic system check, are there any related DTCs? Are there any DTCs in the RCDLR? If yes follow published diagnostics.

⇒ Verify External Antenna Coax connections at the RCDLR and at the glass.

⇒ Check for proper coax ground attachment of the antenna cable.

⇒ If all checks OK secure the ground attachment on the coax with a self tapping screw, securing it to the (A pillar Impala and Monte Carlo Only) and in (D pillar for DTS and Lucerne.

⇒ If securing the ground attachment on the coax does not restore the RKE range replace the RCDLR and follow programming and setup procedures.

Note: Verify you are using TIS to Web or the latest TIS calibrations so the RCDLR will be programmed with the updated software.

RKE becomes inoperative while programming another module on the vehicle: This may occur during programming of any module on the vehicle or from normal operation.

⇒ Do not replace the RCDLR

⇒ Program RCDLR with the latest S/W available in TIS (New S/W released 9-18-06)

New RKE Transmitters Will Not Program or Inoperative

⇒ Press Lock, Unlock and Panic together and hold for 3-5 seconds.

⇒ Perform transmitter learn procedure.

⇒ Verify all functions. This can be done using the scan tool and monitoring the transmitter commands.

⇒ If programming is unsuccessful, new RKE transmitters will be available late October 2006.

If the RKE transmitter low battery message is displayed.

⇒ Press and hold the lock, unlock and panic buttons to restore transmitter function. Attempt to relearn the transmitters.

⇒ If complete function is restored in the RKE system. The condition may return, new RKE Transmitters will be available in late October 2006.

⇒ If the transmitter function will not return to normal, current service stock may fix the condition temporally new RKE transmitters will be available in late October 2006.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1866294
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Old 10-26-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Kissmyss03 beat me to it. A tech at another forum told me about it. Make sure to write down the Document ID for the dealer or they will tell you there's nothing listed for the Imp.

Ultimately, it involves a new program and grounding the antenna better. Right now, there is a copper washer that is held against the driver side A-pillar with a plastic push-tab...not exactly the best way to ground it. They'll replace it with a self-tapping metal screw which should help. This is on my list of things to have done when i get back to the dealer for the other thousand issues i'm having. Mysterious "clunk" from right-rear suspension, no range from remote, pass. side seat heater is acting funky again (turns off for no reason at times), they replaced the right-front tie rod and now it sounds as if the left is bad, the ISS (intermediate steering shaft) is clicking (same problem they never fixed on the 00-05 Imps - ***king GM), ummm...i've got a list somewhere.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tony_SS
Same here! Only its more of a rattle. same area as you describe.

Hmm, I got sort of a rattle, I thought it was the trunk lid but I didnt try to track it down yet, I'll look there. I did have a squeaking sound coming from the driver side in this area, turns out there is a big piece of styrofoam behind the side panel that is along the rear seat bottom cushion. I pulled the panel back along the door edge and sprayed some silicone spray polish (best I had laying around) in there nice and heavy. Squeaking gone. I tried repositioning the panel out a bit before but the squeaking came back so I sprayed it.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

ahhh.. so i will print all that out and take it today.. thanks guys.. thats the ticket!!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4
Hmm, I got sort of a rattle, I thought it was the trunk lid but I didnt try to track it down yet, I'll look there. I did have a squeaking sound coming from the driver side in this area, turns out there is a big piece of styrofoam behind the side panel that is along the rear seat bottom cushion. I pulled the panel back along the door edge and sprayed some silicone spray polish (best I had laying around) in there nice and heavy. Squeaking gone. I tried repositioning the panel out a bit before but the squeaking came back so I sprayed it.
See, that's BS. I'm not doing a thing except taking it right back and telling them to fix it. I dont want to hear a peep when I drive.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Mysterious "clunk" from right-rear suspension,
Nice!! someone else with this issue!!!

I've had this issue for months and months and months. When the right rear tire hits a hole in the road just right (or if it's big enough), I get a clunking/clanking noise - like a metal on metal noise. Only happens if the wheel/tire goes DOWN first and then up -- if there's a raised structure, like a rib or speedbump etc. in the road, and the wheel goes UP first and then down, it doesn't make the noise.

The dealer had looked at it once before, but they couldn't re-create the noise up on the lift. They had the tire off and checked everything - but everything was nice and tight, nothing loose. They said it could be that backing plate on the back side of the disc.

And as far as the squeeking noises - I've also got it in the rear passenger side - sounds like it's coming from the panel next to the right rear passenger seat. Not really a loud squeeking, but more like creaking or the rubbing styrofoam that was mentioned.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 10-26-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
Nice!! someone else with this issue!!!

I've had this issue for months and months and months. When the right rear tire hits a hole in the road just right (or if it's big enough), I get a clunking/clanking noise - like a metal on metal noise. Only happens if the wheel/tire goes DOWN first and then up -- if there's a raised structure, like a rib or speedbump etc. in the road, and the wheel goes UP first and then down, it doesn't make the noise.

The dealer had looked at it once before, but they couldn't re-create the noise up on the lift. They had the tire off and checked everything - but everything was nice and tight, nothing loose. They said it could be that backing plate on the back side of the disc.
It's been in 4 times for this issue (consecutive saturdays, too ). On the first visit, they could not recreate the sound. The second visit they said it was the hitch i put on, so they tightened it up...i told them they were out of their mind On the third (unrelated visit) i asked them to loosen the hitch bolts that they must have put in at 200lb.ft. torque b/c i couldn't, which they so nicely did. On the fourth visit, i had the hitch off and they then blamed it on the bumper where my wife backed into a p/u truck (at 3-5mph). At that point i told them they were full of $h!t!

I've since had the bumper replaced (yesterday) and the noise is still there. All i know is that when there is weight transfer from side to side, it happens, like when hitting uneven pavement (at any speed) or entering a driveway from an angle...when the car moves side to side, the clunk can be heard. My collision guy said it might be hub/axle related...loosness or play in the axle...and he did also mention the backing plate.

I don't know but haven't given up on it yet.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LOL -- we'll get these things figured out eventually!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 10-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Teching In

I have the same issue with squeaking coming from passenger side rear. It does not do it every time, but it is annoying. Trunk does not open every time I press remote. Squeaking from drivers side door panel also. GM will never get it right.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

The trunk is likely the remote issue for you, ATL HAWK. As far as the squeking goes, i've been so caught up with this "clunk" that i've not listened for other noises...cept the clicking of the ISS and the tie rod issues.

Maybe it's me, but i have a helluva time with suspension issues. I probably spent $1500 on my Explorer's ball joint problems before i traded her in.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

for my remote issue it goes in tuesday to see whats up.. i took in the Document ID# 1866294 that kissmyss03 posted and the shop guy looked at it and just blew it off. what a dork.. we will see.. i hope they fix it.. he said, did you replace the batts in the key fobs.. i said, HEY..it's a 06 with 3,000 miles.. if i have to replace batts in both key fobs every 3,000 miles you can have the car back.. lol..
Old 10-27-2006, 05:08 AM
Launching!

Took my car to the dealer in september and they told me there was nothing wrong with it and tried to blame the poor range on overhead lights and all the bs in the book.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I can be up on the second floor of my house and at the opposite end of the house away from the garage, and I can start my car. But put it outside at work, where the sun/glare is shining in the windows on the dash, and I have to be at about 20' before the remote will work... so I know lighting and the way it hits the dash sensor definitely plays a role...

Quick Reply: SS remote srart.. grumbles..