LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

SS remote srart.. grumbles..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm...cornfields....THAT's what i'm doing wrong. I'd say you don't have much radio interference out there, huh?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Hmmmm...cornfields....THAT's what i'm doing wrong. I'd say you don't have much radio interference out there, huh?
Hah, and you all thought putting the FOB under your chin works!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Here is one for you when my remotes wouldn't work from more then 15 feet I tried the under the chin thing, and gained about 5 feet. then I got to thinking... so I dug around and found a large stainless steel mixing bowl... lol you guessed it, I made it into a big satellite for the transmitter I could then start it from about 80 feet and from inside my house. I couldn't believe it worked so if you don't want to fix your cars just carry around a 15 inch stainless mixing bowl lol!!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Lofl!
Old 04-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Teching In

I'm finally getting to posting my follow up. After I waited around for 3 hours at the dealership. They told me they fixed the car and everything worked perfectly. I held my breath...and rightly so. I got the fobs, stepped outside, a mere 10 feet away, and no luck...with either fob. Walked right back inside and told them that they're not working. After much discussion we came to an agreement that they would order the "new" part that just came out that day.

I must have asked 5 times if it was a new revision, and not just a new part. They assured me it was a new revision.

Got in the car and of course the tire pressure monitors don't work either.

So I set up another appointment. Come in...I meet family there and go get something to eat. On our way back we pass my vehicle on the road. I didn't see a reason they would need to be driving the car around when they're trying to fix the remotes. Their excuse was that they had to drive it for the Tire Pressure Monitor to relearn.

Can someone verify this for me? I don't know.

However, the problem is still not fixed.

Finally they agree to give me a loaner the following weekend and keep the car for a week to get it resolved. I get the loaner the next weekend. 2 hours later they call me and tell me its fixed. However, I couldn't get to the phone or come in that day as I went out of town after I dropped it off. Good thing though, because I talked get a call the next day saying that it wasn't fixed after all and needed to keep it.

Finally I get it back at the end of the week and everything seemed to be working ok. Except that they didn't install the pillar trims correctly and after closer inspection, noticed that the had broke both of them.

It's been about 3/4 weeks now and it definitely has better range than before. I'm not sold that the range is what it should be...but it's good enough. I found out that they installed a completely different antenna and receiver. The antenna in the windshield is now disconnected and the new one rests in the driver side pillar, which may be why the distance still doesn't seem completely 100% (more like 90%).

That being said...I still have a problem where the panic alarm goes off randomly when I open the trunk. I don't know why, but it scares the crap out of me and I know it's not me accidentally pressing the button because I account for that when I open it and it still goes off randomly. Weird.

The only other thing is that I did notice once or twice within the last week the turn signal started to make the same strange sound it would make when I was having the problems before. So if history teaches me anything...I'm in for some more headaches....suck.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Teching In

well, i had the new receiver and antenna installed a few months ago, and my range is a massive 15 feet, or less if i have big obstacles like a trash barrell or smothing big like that near the car. Of course when i took it to the stealership and tell them they get pissy and try it within the 15 feet and it works of course. So i tell them to go park the car in the lot near the other cars, and it wont work until your 5 feet away and they say it should it must be the aftermarket stereo or the other mods like intake and exhaust that mess up the range. i hate these stealerships!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jjariabko
well, i had the new receiver and antenna installed a few months ago, and my range is a massive 15 feet, or less if i have big obstacles like a trash barrell or smothing big like that near the car. Of course when i took it to the stealership and tell them they get pissy and try it within the 15 feet and it works of course. So i tell them to go park the car in the lot near the other cars, and it wont work until your 5 feet away and they say it should it must be the aftermarket stereo or the other mods like intake and exhaust that mess up the range. i hate these stealerships!
Tell them to prove your intake or exhaust is causing the range limitation. That is BS and a cop out. Call the 1800 number and get GM involved.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Teching In

ucfmat13,

I am assuming that you have a ‘06 or a ‘07 Monte and where you asked about them taking your car out for a drive to relearn the tire positions. That my friend is a bunch of B.S. for it to relearn the tire position you have to get it to the relearn screen on the DIC and push the check mark button to start the process. Then you let about 5 seconds of air out of the left front then the horn honks then the right front honk, then the right rear honk, then the left rear honk turn the key off, fill the tires back up with the proper amount of air, done! The book says nothing about driving it to relearn. Sounds like they’re giving you the old dick with him long enough and he’ll just give up treatment. My old antenna is also cut off and just stuck in the hole on the a-pillar and it works good, atleast 200 feet.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

I went to the dealer to get the TPMS issue fixed. It just needed a new sensor in one of the tires. What gets me is I had a fob stop working and he wouldn't give me a new one. He said they have to replace the antennea and give me two new fob's and it will take about 4 hours to do. The range is fine on the one that works and I don't really want them removing the dash.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

It's been about a month and i still get TPMS errors and the range is so-so.,..just don't want to lost the car for another coupla weeks.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

The dealer got the parts in and installed it in my MC today. Took about 3-4 hours and seems to be working good.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

My Left-rear TPM is shot...keeps giving me the "Service Tire Pressure System" error on every startup with no reading at the Left-rear. Geee, yet another trip to the ***king dealer! Just lovely! Now i can b!tch about the scratched glass, too, which will require replacing at every door.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Damn Buff, more problems?!?!?

Maybe you should start thinking about that G8???
Old 05-08-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

The G8 can suck **lls...i don't like it one bit. I'll hold out for the RWD Imp "of the future" thank you!

Old 05-08-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

Checked my tire pressure monitoring today and all of them just have --- on them, doah!! Should have checked that before I left the dealer. I had them rotate the tires hopefully I just have to do that learning feature in the DIC
Old 05-08-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Regardless they should read SOME pressure...just not at the right wheels.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Teching In

well, i figured I'd bring this thread back to see if i can get some help fixing my 07 impalas remote locks and starter since this is the most i can find on the web about the problems I'm having. The remotes have just stopped working and the car is no longer under any warranty so I'm trying to do this on my own because the dealer isn't much help. I checked the ground under the a-pillar and it wasn't even touching the metal so i sanded some paint away and pushed the pin back in but still nothing(I'm gonna run a self tapping screw in it tomorrow) I was wondering if i could buy the new antenna and rcdlr from the dealer or gmpartsdirect.com and install myself to fix the problem or if i would still need a scan tool and new programming? I searched the part number found in this thread for the antenna and i can get it for about 30 bucks through GMpartsdirect.com but cant seem to find the brain box.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Good question. I believe it requires some programming...so the dealer may be your only option. How far outta warranty are you? Because it's such a common problem with just about every car needing it, maybe the dealer/GM could cut you some slack...?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Teching In

I'll call the dealer and see what they say about the programming but i would like to think that a ''new'' RCDLR would have the newest programming already installed in it to fix the tire pressure problems and the remote problems. I'm going to at least try the new antenna and go from there. as far as warranty, I'll have to check into seeing if they will at least work with me on this problem since, like you said, it's so common.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they don't help you i would ask to talk to someone who has worked on the problem and see if they can give you some tips on Do-It-yourself i've made great freinds at dealers doing this

Quick Reply: SS remote srart.. grumbles..