LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

SS remote srart.. grumbles..

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
You gotta be ***king kidding me! Called the dealer today, as the parts were supposed to be in for the keyless system and the PS system. The PS line came in and was fixed, but now i'm waiting for two adapters for the new keyless wiring or something like that...and it's on NATIONAL BACKORDER! He said it could be 2 days or 2 weeks...so i'm still driving this POS Uplander. I told them they needed to get me something better to drive and fast! I'm sick of driving this effing thing!

2 weeks? GTFOutta here! I've figured it out...between the tensioner braking, the VAT system and ECM failing, the Power steering issue and all of my other issues, the car has been in the dealers possession for 1 month out of the 17 months i've owned it.
Dang ... you shoulda got your car back in the interim. Sucks when you have a nice car and they give you a loaner / rental that's not the same type.

I'm sure an Uplander is in the same $$$ catagory, but a minivan???
Old 03-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Got a message on my answering machine from the dealer stating that there is now another update for the remote keyless and the tire monitor problems got my fingers crossed!!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Teching In

really? for what car, the MC?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Teching In

yes i have a 2006 monte carlo 3LT but i imagine it will be for all the monte carlo's
Old 03-29-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Just yesterday i got 2 TPMS errors showing 7psi at the front left tire...couldn't get the cap off the stem to test the pressure, but it sure wasn't 7...after about an hour, all was normal again. Looks like 2 weeks wasn't enough time to fix the problem properly
Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Buff - Did you get the cap off?

Saw validation failures with the old Schraeder (sp?) PSI valve stems and the metal caps, the salt would weld the caps to the stems, and people would break the valve bodies trying to twist them loose.

Thought that was addressed a couple years back - I watched mine all winter, and had no problems.

Maybe you might just need to retrain the PSI system? Was it done at the dealer when it was installed?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

No, i didn't attempt to get it off after that...didn't have a pliers handy. They're aftermarket chrome caps...someone stole one of my stock caps. She's been washed a few times since they last salted, but i'll get it off tonight when i do the sway bar and wire brush it up to make sure there's no salt on there.

To be honest, i don't know if they retrained it there. Yeah, they should have, but i'd bet they didn't.

Anyone know the trick about using a magnet to retrain the system instead of letting out enough air to get it to work? That's a PITA imo.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This can be done by placing a J-41760 magnet (or other BF magnet) over the valve stem...

Magnet method: With the key on, engine off, press both the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob. A horn chirp within 10 seconds indicates the TPMS receiver is in the programming mode. Place the magnet over the left front valve stem until the horn chirps. This forces the LF pressure sensor to transmit its code to the main module. Repeat the same procedure for the right front, right rear and left rear sensors in this order. Verify all four pressure readings are displayed on the driver information center.

Also, if the battery is disconnected or drops below a certain voltage, the vehicle may forget the location of the tire pressure sensors and have to be reset. This may also set diagnostic trouble codes for all four pressure sensors.

The receiver for the wheel pressure transponder signals is the keyless entry system module. If there's a problem with this module, it will obviously affect both the ability to unlock the doors with the remove key fob and the ability to monitor tire pressures.

here's a pic of a kit where you can see the kind of magnet they use - looks like a thick donut magnet that slips over/around the valve stem... http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/ima...e.height.max=0

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 03-29-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmmm...looks expensive...lol
Old 03-29-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does the magnet work with the current DIC? I thought the systems are from two different suppliers.

Supplier magnets were also cylindrical rare earth ones, super strong like on the tips of those extending ones to grab bolts from under your car. Have 2 on the fridge, people love to try and seperate them, usually get skin snapped between them.

The magnet method is by far the easiest way, who ever heard of deflating your tires to train? POS
Old 03-30-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Got the cap off and cleaned up the stem...no biggie. Just gotta get around to retraining the sensors...POS is right. I paid good money for my N2flation system from DunnTire when i had my winters installed...don't wanna go letting that ***t out, you know? LOL (j/k...the N2 was included in the price of the tire install...please don't smack me )
Old 04-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Does anybody know if the bulletin has been updated for the Monte Carlo yet?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Teching In

i had my monte into the dealer a few weeks ago for the new antenna and receiver, and the car still has a range of 10-20 feet on a good day, but if you park a car infront of it no range at all! this sucks!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the cap off and cleaned up the stem...no biggie. Just gotta get around to retraining the sensors...POS is right. I paid good money for my N2flation system from DunnTire when i had my winters installed...don't wanna go letting that ***t out, you know? LOL (j/k...the N2 was included in the price of the tire install...please don't smack me )
You do know that air is like 79% Nitrogen anyway right. . .if i am remembering college right
Old 04-02-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

I know...i brought that up in jest. I found it funny that they make these claims about upping gas mileage with the stuff...

I will say, though, i didn't have to put air in my tires since i had the winters installed...FWIW.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Just got my Monte home from the GM dealer to fix the remote/service tire monitor system problem and it seems that they got it, I have a 300 foot range now. They also replaced the right front wheel bearing assembly, I feel allot better now!!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know...i brought that up in jest. I found it funny that they make these claims about upping gas mileage with the stuff...

I will say, though, i didn't have to put air in my tires since i had the winters installed...FWIW.
I aired mine when it was cold almost 4 months ago and everything is still the same. The only plus I've read is no moisture which is where the extra weight would come from and to avoid long term degrading of the tire and wheel from the O2 along with moisture.

Not enough benefit for the cost.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Teching In

The moisture inside your tires will definitely cause them to increase more rapidly in pressure, because of heat build up. Back in my open wheel modified days we used nitrogen in our tires, not because there is anything special about nitrogen accept that it has 0% moisture in it. If you know someone that has a big body shop they usually have a pretty elaborate air dryer to keep water out of the paint I know I’ve gone to gas stations that have an air compressor and the first second of air that comes out is filled with water! remember the more dry the air is the better!!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by twizzle12
Just got my Monte home from the GM dealer to fix the remote/service tire monitor system problem and it seems that they got it, I have a 300 foot range now. They also replaced the right front wheel bearing assembly, I feel allot better now!!
Mine is not quite that good, but I am hovering around the 60m range they advertised on an open parking lot. Maybe 30m from inside a building, plenty good enough for me
Old 04-10-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Took my Impala in yesterday. Range was down to about 30'. They ordered the parts yesterday, got them today and had it ready by 5. When I got home I walked about 125' into the corn field plus the 200' to the back yard and everything worked perfect. Makes a big difference. I could have walked another 50-60' and still had line of sight, but got lazy.

Quick Reply: SS remote srart.. grumbles..