LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

K&N Aircharger for 2006 Impala SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Aircharger for 2006 Impala SS *PIX*

So i sprung and ordered myself the k&n cai for the impy. I bought the system at . I got it for $230 ish with free shipping. So far its been a good experience with them and i highly recommend them. I will be having one of the service techs at the chevy store where i work. Can't pass up something like 25$ for labor . I will post lots of pix when it is installed (i'll make sure the engine bay is clean ).

Chris

Last edited by Richiec77; 02-13-2007 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Non-sponsor link
Old 02-07-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

umm that is something u can definitly do urself. save the 25.00
Old 02-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZieglerSS
I will be having one of the service techs at the chevy store where i work.
O really now?? HAHA sorry couldnt resist! Yea I agree tho... thats probly the easiest mod you can do for the car, But hey whatever gets it under the hood. Im making a fiberglass Air box myself.. save me a little money. Time.... not so much lol. Ive been workin on it for like 2 weeks now. Lotsa sanding. I got the primer drying as we speak. Ill post some picks when i get mine installed too. But chances are my engine bay wont be clean haha, still lots of salt on the road.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kissmyss03
umm that is something u can definitly do urself. save the 25.00
The problem is I just dont feel comfortable doing it myself. I know i could do it, i also know it would take me quite a while to do and i probably would have problems during the install. Considering its -5 degree's right now, i think the $25 is worth it to me.

Chris
Old 02-08-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK, so you're saying you don't know how to work on cars - the intake would be a very easy starter project, you know - the crawl before you walk theory.

Just a couple of clamps, and maybe a screw or two. Unplug a couple of wire harnesses / reconnect. Directions are prob on the website you can scan in advance.

Tools needed: rachet / sockets; screwdriver(???); 2 beers. You could even treat yourself to a pair of Mechanix gloves.

If you were in my town, I would do it for the two beers, but you would have to watch how easy it was to do.

BTW: -5* keeps the beer ice cold compared to 70*+
Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
BTW: -5* keeps the beer ice cold compared to 70*+
yeah, I keep mine out in the garage now too... frees up some fridge space

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

$25 or -5? Hum, here's the $25.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by live2ride
$25 or -5? Hum, here's the $25.
True that ... I'm basing that off I have a garage that will heat to 50*+ with the house door open!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

I feel your pain...literally. I attempted to change my oil in my driveway (no garage) and couldn't do it. With the winds bringing the chills down near -20, i had to go elsewhere. I went to the 'rents garage and did it there instead...maybe 30* in there. I'm contemplating installing my Poly mount this evening in my driveway after dinner...we'll see what happens there.

Anyway, pay the $25 and git-r-done! To each his own...

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
True that ... I'm basing that off I have a garage that will heat to 50*+ with the house door open!
Your wife must LOVE you when you do that

"Honey, i just gotta keep her warm during these cold nights!"
Old 02-09-2007, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS

Your wife must LOVE you when you do that

"Honey, i just gotta keep her warm during these cold nights!"
LMAO - cars are unisex now, used to be the 70's and 80's Z-28 / MCSS's mufflers made them look like they had nads ...

When I had the house built I had a gas line ran to the garage for an overhead heater, but never installed one now that I think about it ...

No one here to do this:

But yeah, for emergencies (like new part installs) opening the house door gets rid of the frost.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Teching In

So i just finished installing it. I decided instead of waiting till monday to have the techs install it i would give it a shot. The install was an absolute breeze. It did take me 2.5 hours to complete it, but taking my time on each step payed off.

When i first goosed it a bit in park i instantly went . The sound is just amazing. Then once on the highway i put her down and its like a whole new car. The engine almost sounds like the ls2 in the vette. I could also see gas mileage improving steadily as i went for a couple miles. Of couse my favorite, cruising at 30 mph on nice sand free blacktop, putting it to the floor, and burning the tires all the way to 45 mph.

Overall, it was worth the $235 i spent. SOP hp seems quite a bit more, i just cant wait for it to warm up a bit, this -5 degree weather is terrible. Anyone looking to do a cheep easy mod for 13 hp i would highly recommend the k&n aircharger, and for the price and service at 4filters.com, they would be the only place i buy filters from.

Chris
Old 02-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Okay, i figured i would post some pictures of my beauty with the k&n, and just some other shots .

Edit: i havnt waxed it since september, and i drove home 10 miles after the wash. I love white .

Chris

Old 02-11-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Make sure you re-torque the clamps after about a week and every month thereafter. The heat & cold causes them to loosen pretty badly. A couple months back I actually found the filter sitting on the PCM, completely off the MAF, after driving somewhere...and i wasn't in there for the filter.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

dab of the old thread locker will do wonders on the clamps.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

huh, interesting... I have the intake from cold air inductions, and mine hasn't loosened up one bit since the day I installed it...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Nice Job,
But I can't seem to get myself to pat $200 plus for an air filter,,I mean yea a c/a kit will give better preformance but it still looks like you get 1:filter 2: (2)sides of a plastic box 3: a couple of hose clamps 4: a plastic replacement elbow
Total= $40 + $5 + $3 + $10 = $58
No trying to be a jerk but How about just trashing the stock box and putting on a replacement K&N filter head??
Old 02-11-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NewYork Art
Nice Job,
But I can't seem to get myself to pat $200 plus for an air filter,,I mean yea a c/a kit will give better preformance but it still looks like you get 1:filter 2: (2)sides of a plastic box 3: a couple of hose clamps 4: a plastic replacement elbow
Total= $40 + $5 + $3 + $10 = $58
No trying to be a jerk but How about just trashing the stock box and putting on a replacement K&N filter head??
GM took care of you already - you can remove the 60mm tube in your stock box, which will make the hole 80mm, like the rest of the intake track, and install a K&N for the $45.

Quick Reply: K&N Aircharger for 2006 Impala SS