LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Impy SS exhaust piping size

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust pipe size (video links now)

Not to offend anyone as I appreciate people's opinions, but not looking for 'I think", "pretty sure's", or "I read.." here.

Looking for someone who has measured or replaced the various sections of the exhaust pipe (including the muffler(s) inlet and outlet) to get the size of pipe. (got rough dimensions of the offset/center mufflers the other day, but too damn cold to go back under the car again this week).

Hate the sound of glasspack type mufflers (Magnaflow included) and tired of Flowmaster, so going with a different company, just want to make sure I buy the right sized mufflers.

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a great day!

My poor, poor car is going to the dealer today, had a huge leak someplace in the last storm, water pouring out of the Homelink/sunroof control panel, dealer will probably keep it forever and never really get it fixed...
Well, maybe that will give them time to fix my cold exhaust manifold tick.

Last edited by 06 SS; 05-19-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

stock mufflers are 2.25" offset in/center out... case size is 12" W x 7.25" H x 16" L

just measured mine the other day, cuz I'm gonna be replacing mine too

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-05-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks a heap! I was just worried I would get conflicting answers and that would pretty much make the thread useless.

The fact that your muffler measurements essentially match mine gives the confidence as well.

edit below:
Just ordered the mufflers and they should be here by the time I get the car back from the dealerman.

Last edited by 06 SS; 04-05-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

You sure Monte? When i measured the piping, it was 2.5 to the Y, 2" to each muffler and 2.25" to the tips. Granted, i had no caliper to truly measure the piping, but i was pretty sure these were the numbers.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I don't have calipers either the mufflers people are putting on these are 2.25".... don't know about the actual pipe size, but like I mentioned, that was the size of the mufflers - here's the flowmaster people have been putting on - and it's 2.25": http://flowmastermufflers.com/produc...oducts_id=3429

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can make 2.25" work on 2" pipe, not that worried about it either way. Mufflers are backordered until May (meaning who knows when), sorta aggravates me to have to wait, but whatcha gonna do?

Going to leave the resonator alone (never seen one that was a restriction and they help tremendously with drone) and just go with the mufflers, should be (dB-wise) between resonator/FM 40's and no-res/FM 40's with no drone (double wrapped shells)

we shall see how it goes
Old 04-05-2007, 09:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

what's everyone's take on the u-bend delete on our cars - is it worth the trouble?? Will it really buy me anything performance-wise since it's not that bad, and I'm not really doing anything else to my car for mods anyway. I have a CAI and a Diablosport tune.

if I don't need to really do the u-bend delete, I can just get away with putting on some new flowmasters/tips and be done with it - I'm leaving the resonator on as well, since there's no restriction in it anyway and it helps the drone/raspy sound.

and if I'm just doing mufflers and tips, I can have them done tomorrow!!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Comparing it to the big-dog, the 5.7 gets 2 high flow cats and on mine has a 3" y-pipe feeding a 3" main pipe. These cars have a 2" ID down pipe feeding into 1 cat with a FUBAR'd kinky thing in the exhaust followed up with a 2"ish main pipe. All with .4L less displacement. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Somehow they do get down the track OK, but I plan on replacing my D/P this spring, prolly with the Hogan one. Since this is my D/D, I want to do a couple of flow things to help power for passing and on-ramps, not really interested in "racing" the thing.

But when it comes time to buy the pipe, my Monte mod money goes for buying stuff for my black pieces , cause I feel the car is pretty damn good. I have only pulled the 60 mm tube, added a K&N and the Magnaflow cat back. After 20K miles on it, the MCSS shakes dishes in the kitchen cabinets when I let it idle in my garage.

So YES - I will get the D/P and get rid of that kinky thing, but I have a scope that needs something underneath it, so when I don't know.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Personally, I would go with a set of Kooks bullet mufflers (something along these lines http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=527)...I have them and I love 'em. IMO the 40 series and magnaflows add more raspiness than I like, making the car sound cheap V6-ish. The stock system is way too restrictive, and only doing mufflers/tips is half-assing it while work is being done right there on the exhaust system.

Any quad core bullet muffler will give you rumble and bark like a F-body GMMG system (best sounding system ), and is still quiet inside the car. I have a full 3" custom system with Kooks mufflers, Hogan D/P, no resonator, and its loud, but loud as in "sweet/melodious" and "muscle car-ish" not raspy or obnoxious.

Just my .02.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I need to go out and buy that new hard drive Sony handy cam and record just how non-V6ish the Magnaflow system really is. Not to discredit what you're saying Nacho, I had several V6 W-bodys, and this MCSS does sound like a proper Chevy small block, not a V6. My car has a very low sounding rumble to it.

Like I said, it shakes the dishes and a lamp in my house idleing in the garage. My personal opinion is that the M/F system fits the sophisticated image of the MCSS. As I said before, mean enough sounding for the guys, quiet enough to not freak out the gals.

But have to agree with you on the GMMG - nothing like my GMMG on my Z - can't beat the C6-R sound @ WOT. Again, only the guys like the sound, most gals, say "that's nice".
Old 04-07-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will put my non-turbo, non-glasspack, short mufflers against any other system for idle rumble/lack of drone at speed, any day of the week. Video's to follow after install. Lousy JCW is shipping the one they have and calling for the second to arrive in 30 days or so.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

It would be nice to get an exhaust for these cars that would wake the neighbors up if someone really wanted to. Hope your's turns out ...

These cars are the only "new" option GM diehards have untill the new Camaro comes out.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

i love my magnaflow. its loud and mean sounding
Old 04-07-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I enjoy my magna as well It won't wake up the neighbors but definately gets attention. If I want to wake up the neighbors i just hit the right pedal and let them roll
Old 04-07-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
I need to go out and buy that new hard drive Sony handy cam and record just how non-V6ish the Magnaflow system really is. Not to discredit what you're saying Nacho, I had several V6 W-bodys, and this MCSS does sound like a proper Chevy small block, not a V6. My car has a very low sounding rumble to it.

Like I said, it shakes the dishes and a lamp in my house idleing in the garage. My personal opinion is that the M/F system fits the sophisticated image of the MCSS. As I said before, mean enough sounding for the guys, quiet enough to not freak out the gals.

But have to agree with you on the GMMG - nothing like my GMMG on my Z - can't beat the C6-R sound @ WOT. Again, only the guys like the sound, most gals, say "that's nice".
Yeah...I know its not V6-ish but I just really don't "love" the magnaflow sound. I have had '02 SS with the GMMG and my bro has a Z28 with a GMMG and I just try to make all my cars sound like that....I do like a brawny loud system, and thats just my take on owning a SBC.

Anywho....C6-R now there's an exhaust system....I love dump tubes .
Old 04-08-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Yeah...I know its not V6-ish but I just really don't "love" the magnaflow sound. I have had '02 SS with the GMMG and my bro has a Z28 with a GMMG and I just try to make all my cars sound like that....I do like a brawny loud system, and thats just my take on owning a SBC.

Anywho....C6-R now there's an exhaust system....I love dump tubes .
Man - 2 cars w/ the GMMG??? Would be cool to be in your block when you guys come over to Mom's for dinner!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Finely (after much unpleasantness), my second muffler has a tracking number and is scheduled to be delivered Saturday. If I can figure out how to transfer my 10 year old video camera file to the computer and somehow puzzle my way into posting it online, I will get a video pre and post from the same relative camera position. Crossing my fingers on how they will sound. At least JCW is paying for the FedEx and dropping the price some for my trouble on the mufflers.

Leaving town for work in Oshkosh on Sunday, then down to STL for fun over the long weekend, so if I do not get it installed this Saturday (depends on delivery time), then it will be a couple of weeks. Why the teaser? So I am shamed into actually making the video.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

What are you doing in St. Louis, some of us are going to the track tonight.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

got a buddy that lives in Sunset Hills, he throws a pretty decent Memorial Day bash. Usually start off in Saugut at Penthouse Club or PT's (and can't miss a side trip to Pop's) Friday afternoon, then hit Helen Fitzgerald's on Friday night (walking distance to my bud's house. Then Sat/Sun do the grilling, pool/hot-tub/Washers thing with whatever women I can convince to come out to his house during the party. Not a big driving weekend for me after I get there. Car gets parked and the cabs get called. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the hogan downpipe with Magnaflow high flow cat and Magnaflow cat back exhaust and I love it. Quiet while you are driving and then when you stomp on it heads role looking at the car (2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP)

Quick Reply: Impy SS exhaust piping size