LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

07 Monte Carlo SS Exhaust Gift

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Monte Carlo SS Exhaust Gift

So my girlfriend just bought a 2007 Monte Carlo SS. She wants to have a more muscle car sound to it without voiding the warranty on the car. She saw what a catback system did to my car (GTO) and likes it. Her stock exhaust is nice but wants to amplify that sound a bit (that throaty gargle). What would you guys recommend?

I would like to surprise her with it, but i'm sure she is looking around too and knows i'm looking as well. Any suggestions?

I was hearing that Hogan downpipes might do it. But i dont want to have O2 sensors going off on her car. However, ive seen them with Hiflow cats, which im sure will still throw a code, but maybe not. Or would you suggest going with a catback system?

Thanks in advance. Im not too keen on her car, so looking for some help here.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do what i did and get a electric exhaust cutout. That way you can turn it off if you have some law in your area or don't want to wake the neighborhood. I have some pictures on my car domain site if you wanna see how it would look.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Magnaflow is the most simple system that bolts in. You could go to an exhaust shop and specify pipe and sizing to create your own catback system. Hogan DP is more for flow, I haven't heard a huge difference in sound.

Cutouts are good, loud when you want to be, stealth when needed.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnaflow exhaust and hogan downpipe with cat. But you will still get the 02 code if you have HP tuner you can disable the code from ever coming back.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Well, I dont think she would want the exhaust too loud where its almost just a straight pipe. She wants it to be tolerable, but good sounding. I was thinking of going with the magnaflows and installing it ourselves. Are there any other cat back systems that are out there for this car? Its nearly impossible to find any. The only one i found was the Magnaflows from lmperformance.

But that catback would enhance the throaty sound to become louder? Thats what we are looking for. The later on, if she doesnt mind voiding the warranty, we'll do headers and such.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Krillian Hex
Well, I dont think she would want the exhaust too loud where its almost just a straight pipe. She wants it to be tolerable, but good sounding. I was thinking of going with the magnaflows and installing it ourselves. Are there any other cat back systems that are out there for this car? Its nearly impossible to find any. The only one i found was the Magnaflows from lmperformance.

But that catback would enhance the throaty sound to become louder? Thats what we are looking for. The later on, if she doesnt mind voiding the warranty, we'll do headers and such.
There's only the Magnaflow if you don't want to go custom straight pipe, and there's no headers for this car yet.

The MF usually wakes up around 2500 RPMs....and it has a rumble, but its not lopey or too loud.

And LSx engines aren't really "throaty" per se, they sway more towards lopey and very deep. Mustang 302s and 331s have more of a throaty, raspy note. Personally, I like the LSx exhaust when modded, it makes the car sound like it eats babies...lol
Old 07-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Haha, thats awesome. With the stock exhaust in place, the car sounds like it has the potential to sound like a modded Mstang with that midrange throaty gargle. But in the monte, it sounds very low pitch. So MF is the way to go since its the only way to go, aside from goin hardcore straight pipe (which might be a little too much since she hates the drone i get in my car from the loudmouth II). But if its lopey and deep, thats perfect. She said she wants that muscle car sound. I think ill put an order out on this one. And maybe an CAI from K&N.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have flowmaster 40's put on mine and it really made no noticeable difference to me. I ended up wasting 350 dollars for flowmasters and custom pipes being made. When the sound i was wanting came from a 120 dollar exhaust cutout. I'm just saying that i think you will be disappointed with any muffler you get. I was thinking for louder exhaust get a tube muffler , replace the resonator and have it straight back with no mufflers after that. I think that will raise the volume enough to not be to loud and not to quite so basicly just changing it to a single tube muffler instead of 2 mufflers.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The magna increasing the sound without being obnoxious. . . it doesn't droan during highway cruising. However, if you are on it, it will wake up. . check out magna's website for the drive by clip, it's pretty close.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sint3k
I have flowmaster 40's put on mine and it really made no noticeable difference to me. I ended up wasting 350 dollars for flowmasters and custom pipes being made. .
Not too sure what he's talking about...but I threw on 2 flowmasters and it made a very significant improvement to the sound. Remove the resonator if you want it to sound vicious...only downside with removing the resonator is that it sounds a little tinny if you rev it at cold start....but once it warms up, watch out mustangs....
Old 07-28-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
Not too sure what he's talking about...but I threw on 2
Really what i meant is it just wasn't the volume i was wanting and/or expecting.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just remove the resonator and install a straigt pipe. Most exhaust places do this. I promise you'll be very happy! The cost is about 50 bucks.

-Mike
Old 07-28-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Resonator is removed :X it was the first thing i did when i wasn't happy with my mufflers.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Teching In

I recomend flowmasters! Especialy if she just wants a pure american sound. Magnaflows have great performance and they are alot easier to install because you dont need to fab up a kit but in my opinion and if ya go listen to a bunch of sound clips you will hear what im talking about magnaflows have a very resinating sound while flowmasters just sound like pure thunder! just my opinion but i would go with flowmasters
Old 07-29-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

my muffler swap has about 5K miles on it now, they seem like they have settled in, deeper and louder then the last video I made with them, with just the slightest hint of a burble at cruise. Part of that is probably the quick lift rockers I have increasing the overlap area by a fairly high percentage (at a guess, along the lines of 30%). When I get home after my trip this weekend, I will see about getting some new recordings. I am very happy with the sound, both at idle and under load. Had Flowmasters (50 series) on my true dual LT1 Caprice, swapped them out for the same ones I have on the LS4 now, no comparison, sounds a lot better than the FM's.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

On my Magnaflow exhaust system with about 400 miles on it, its getting alot better with idel and also when I drive and get up around 2500rpm. I think I will give it about another 2-300 more miles of "break in" time before I buy a pipe to remove the high flow res. that came with the magnaflow system, but I am still getting a hogan high flow cat downpipe put on.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

The resonator definitely improves the sound when removed...I am leaning towards a set of Kooks flow-thru bullet mufflers. People that have them on F-bodys really like the quality and fit, and the sound is more of a deep, lopey cammed sound. Leave the rasp to ricers and the bark to the mustangs.

LSx's should sound like they eat babies.

I want my car to sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOxfk72WEso
Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Teching In

So you guys are saying that i should go with flowmasters instead of magnaflow? I know for a fact that she wants that american muscle sound to eminate from the rear end of her car. If she had the money, she would go for a classic monte, chevelle or challenger...so you kinda get what she is looking for. She wants a muscle sound, not a ricer sound that is too high pitch and an idle that will intimidate with a low rumble and the sound of looping (i know its a cam sound, but shes looking for it).

So, flowmasters, eh? Ive looked around for her car and cant find a full catback system. So im guessing you guys just changed the resonators or mufflers? If so, that would certainly help out with cost. If the resonators are just replaced on the factory pipes, would it all fit?

Also, where are you guys getting all these sound clips? I cant find anything on their sites.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Since the stock exhaust system is all welding together, here are your choices.

1. Order the Magnaflow cat/back system and install that.

2. Keep stock exhaust, order the flowmaster mufflers and tips and take your car to an exhaust shop, They will have to cut off the OEM mufflers and replace/weld them on since the OEM ones are welded on the exhaust pipes. They you will have to have them cut off the res and weld on a new res.

IMHO, I would just get the Magnaflow system and then if you want the res removed, all you have to do in unbolt the c-clamp holding it in place and the 2 bolts from the cat and you can remove it, install the new one and your done. The guys from Hogan Performance can make a 409 stainless steel pipe in replacement of that.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Ok, i found the sound clips on the flowmasters website...and she loves the 40 series resonator. Only problem is that there will be ALOT of resonance inside. Shes not crazy about that, but loves the sound it makes (according to the clip).

So the best way to do this is to cut the resonator for the stock pipes and have it welded in?? I wish it didnt have to come to that since i dont know what she plans to do with the car later. But that would be awesome if she had that.

Quick Reply: 07 Monte Carlo SS Exhaust Gift