LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Buying a new 2006 Monte SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new 2006 Monte SS

Hey gang,

Been reading here for a few weeks, trying to soak up all the info. I can.

Local dealer has five 2006 Monte Carlo SS's for sale. I figured they'd really be trying to move them because they're two model years old.

All of them are brand new, never titled, and less than 14 miles on each of them. 3 are black and 2 are silver. Neither are my first color choice, but I don't mind either of them.

The one I am interested in has a sunroof, XM, and cloth seats. Sticker is for $24,270 (plus tax, title, etc.) and zero percent for 60 months. Original MSRP was mid $28's. Seems like a decent deal to me, but wanted some feedback.

Being almost two years old, I thought they might be offering more than $4,000 off. should I expect to do better than this, or does this seem like a fair price?
Old 08-05-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

That's how much I paid for my 2006 monte with 1000 miles in 2006....FULLY LOADED with leather....they can do better imo. Do they qualify for the 7 year warranty?
Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Teching In

That's what I was thinking. Personally, I'm thinking that a non-leather 06' should be going for $21,000 - $22,000.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DKRanger22
That's what I was thinking. Personally, I'm thinking that a non-leather 06' should be going for $21,000 - $22,000.
Agreed. Talk em down at LEAST 2k.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hurry up and get it before they're gone ... never understood why they never sold after they got the V8's.

Neighbor has a black SS, looks great 'cause they keep it clean. Black Monte Carlo SS's will always be associated w/ Dale Earnhardt Sr., which ups your bad *** rating w/ the NASCRAP fans. Everyone assumes I'm a Jr. fan 'cause mine is red. Don't follow him but the Bud car always looks mean and looks a lot closer to a real car than the Miller car.

I love my car, not as much as the Z, but it's a great car. I've got the cloth seats and it's soooo comfortable on long rides. (I do 30K+ / year)

Thinking knock a couple off as well, think I paid $25ish last year.

Good luck!

Last edited by Kazmaniac; 08-05-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Honestly, I think these LS4 models would have sold like hotcakes with RWD.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nighthand
Honestly, I think these LS4 models would have sold like hotcakes with RWD.
GM wasn't smart enough for that...
Old 08-06-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
GM wasn't smart enough for that...
GM doesn't care about selling cars, they care about making money.

While they could have sold more rwd LS4 cars, you are looking at a substantial investment in new tooling, new design work, etc to build a rear drive platform. Would the profit from selling the extra cars offset that extra cost?

Doubt it, so does GM. They dumped minimal cash into modifying a 15+ year old platform that r&d was paid off a decade ago. More profit per car multiplied by fewer cars is what they figured would make them the most net money.

edit below;
anyway, my '06 has pretty much everything except Bose and took it off the lot new for 26.2K (stickered at almost 31K) last December. I would think that another 8 months of depreciation and the lower options would drive that price down at least 2 grand more, especially since they have essentially 5 of the same car sitting there costing them money in interest. I would think 23K plus tax would be a fair deal for all concerned.

Last edited by 06 SS; 08-06-2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06 SS
GM doesn't care about selling cars, they care about making money.

While they could have sold more rwd LS4 cars, you are looking at a substantial investment in new tooling, new design work, etc to build a rear drive platform. Would the profit from selling the extra cars offset that extra cost?

Doubt it, so does GM. They dumped minimal cash into modifying a 15+ year old platform that r&d was paid off a decade ago. More profit per car multiplied by fewer cars is what they figured would make them the most net money.
Well...there were a few RWD platforms that they could have based the 2000 monte carlo on....and they didn't. If they just did it right the first time...well...GM just isn't/wasn't smart enough.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't think RWD would have effected it much. We are not your average person who buys vechicles. Most people i talk to don't know the diffrence between front wheel drive and rear wheel drive and a very small amount purchase the SS to make use of the rear wheel drive like most of us want to.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Teching In

true. ive seen a few and they all looked stock.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sint3k
I really don't think RWD would have effected it much. We are not your average person who buys vechicles. Most people i talk to don't know the diffrence between front wheel drive and rear wheel drive and a very small amount purchase the SS to make use of the rear wheel drive like most of us want to.
Yet, they killed the Grand prix FWD to replace it with a RWD G8.... I agree most people could care less, but, there is an undeniable RWD market.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Teching In

So back to the price...

It is pretty much agreed that I should be asking for another $1-2K off of the current price ($24,270)?

Once again, car has sunroof, XM, CD/MP3 playback, cloth seats, black on black, with 14 miles on the odometer.

I like to see what you guys paid for your SS MC's, because I'll print this off and take it in to the dealer.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DKRanger22
So back to the price...

It is pretty much agreed that I should be asking for another $1-2K off of the current price ($24,270)?

Once again, car has sunroof, XM, CD/MP3 playback, cloth seats, black on black, with 14 miles on the odometer.

I like to see what you guys paid for your SS MC's, because I'll print this off and take it in to the dealer.
I personally wouldn't pay more than 22.5k
Old 08-06-2007, 01:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My car is fully loaded with everything - except no XM, side airbags, or the upgraded 8-spkr stereo system... sticker on mine was just about $31k...

I special ordered it in October 2005, took delivery on November 23rd 2005, and I got it for about $23k/$24k... that was with the current GM incentives, plus the employee discount (mother-in-law is retired GM employee)...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 08-06-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

those dealers are pretty much stuck with them, because after Jan 1 the end of the year dealer money goes away...look at the GTO's now, there's 0% or 2000 rebate. Just because its a previous model year doesn't mean that they have endless markup. Usually, in a situation like this, if they say its their best price, it truly is...they would rather cut their losses on a super old car than sit on it for another 2-3 months.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

My car was fully optioned with leather seats, XM, sunroof...everything. It was stickered @ $32k, and I bought it for $23k.

Although since I have bought mine, Monte's have been on a premium, see way more Imps not selling. This could influence his price, but he has 5.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
My car was fully optioned with leather seats, XM, sunroof...everything. It was stickered @ $32k, and I bought it for $23k.

Although since I have bought mine, Monte's have been on a premium, see way more Imps not selling. This could influence his price, but he has 5.

Id like to know how you got that car for 23K considering that is below GM employee pricing. A 32K Monte would have a GM Employee price around 27K at best. I know because im looking at purchasing a 07 Imp ss right now and with a 32K sticker, my price on it is 27,500. Even if you got employee pricing on it, there were no additional rebates that would have gotten that car close to 23K.

Unfortunatly im gonna have to say your full of it and anyone else on here that has access to GM dealerworld that can pull invoices with pricing on them would know that as well. The only way you got that car for 23K is if it was used, and even then that would have been cheap.

Sorry for being the dick........

If you want to sit here and say im full of ****, please post your VIN number and Ill pull your factory invoice and post it for everyone to see with the discounted employee numbers on it.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Id like to know how you got that car for 23K considering that is below GM employee pricing. A 32K Monte would have a GM Employee price around 27K at best. I know because im looking at purchasing a 07 Imp ss right now and with a 32K sticker, my price on it is 27,500. Even if you got employee pricing on it, there were no additional rebates that would have gotten that car close to 23K.

Unfortunatly im gonna have to say your full of it and anyone else on here that has access to GM dealerworld that can pull invoices with pricing on them would know that as well. The only way you got that car for 23K is if it was used, and even then that would have been cheap.

Sorry for being the dick........

If you want to sit here and say im full of ****, please post your VIN number and Ill pull your factory invoice and post it for everyone to see with the discounted employee numbers on it.
Hey no hard feelings man...No employee discounts just blessed I guess?

But anyway, the car is fully loaded with white/silverstone metallic paint and it stickered for $30k and change, but the dealership has some price adjustment (same thing they do on the corvette) that brought the car near $32k. The adjustment thing is kinda a ploy since some people pay the markup if they don't inquire about it....for example I saw an '08 Z06 for $77k the yesterday, and it had the same markup bringing the car to $90k. Lame if you ask me....but I digress.

After the initial contact with the sales rep, the car was put on sale for ~$29,170K. The Chevrolet dealer near me is not very high volume in cars, since most people are buying Benz, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Cadillac. You could say I live in a ritzy neighborhood (I'm not flaunting it), and honestly, people scoff at Chevy's. Its like a primitive automobile to them. The dealership makes their money on work trucks and SUV's....and apparently they had no bites on the monte and it sat for a long time. I know people at the dealership (the owning family's son is a head coach at my school) so I was "taken care of." They really wanted to make a deal, little did they know that a monte would be so hard to find now.

I was able to talk the car down to $23k and change since it was an '06 that sat for a long time, and I was paying cash, not leasing the car. So call bullcrap if you want....but I thank the Lord and count my blessings getting a great deal.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds good to me.