LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Front end clunking solved...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Front end clunking solved...

well, after installing a totally new ISS, the front end clunking still remained... so over the vacation last week, I had a new steering rack installed, and while they were under there, they noticed that both front wheel bearings where bad so they replaced those too...

now the front end is nice and tight, and no issues whatsoever... just like, if not better than, new!!

About time!!

WHEW!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 01-02-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing what that new rack can do..My orignial was easier to steer...guess that ment somthing???
Old 01-02-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
well, after installing a totally new ISS, the front end clunking still remained... so over the vacation last week, I had a new steering rack installed, and while they were under there, they noticed that both front wheel bearings where bad so they replaced those too...

now the front end is nice and tight, and no issues whatsoever... just like, if not better than, new!!

About time!!

WHEW!!
I might have to start a jihad at my service department....they have lubed the ISS twice to no avail, but they are wary of installing a whole new rack...idiots I tell you.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Come to think of it I said the same thing about the car being better than new after they put in the new rack!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

they prolly didnt replace them , but said they did so they could make the money for it lol
Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh that's just fantastic.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kissmyss03
they prolly didnt replace them , but said they did so they could make the money for it lol
I thought the same thing when they replaced my hubs so when i did my rotors i made sure to notice them and they where infact brand-new. I did notice they lost the rubber peice that goes over the bleed nipple to keep dirt from getting in so i made them give me another one :X
Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Funny you bring this up now. She is up on a lift getting a new rack as we speak. They replaced the door glass yesterday due to the scratches, and are now doing the rack. I mentioned "alignment" on the little note i left for the dealer when i dropped it off two nights ago...hope they do one.

I've been feeling some pulsating in the gas pedal while cruising...wonder if that could be bearings? Any sure-fire way to check on them? What are the symptoms, aside from the clunking? Is it while turning? Driving straight? etc.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

for a new steering rack, the only alignment they do and that is required is for the toe-in... unless you specifically requested a 4-wheel alignment...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I mentioned my symptoms of my bearings in another topic but at high speeds driving straight it feels like you have a bad tire. In a parking garage you can clearly hear the bearings. I never noticed anything while turning tho. I've had the rears replaced twice now.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Funny you bring this up now. She is up on a lift getting a new rack as we speak. They replaced the door glass yesterday due to the scratches, and are now doing the rack. I mentioned "alignment" on the little note i left for the dealer when i dropped it off two nights ago...hope they do one.

I've been feeling some pulsating in the gas pedal while cruising...wonder if that could be bearings? Any sure-fire way to check on them? What are the symptoms, aside from the clunking? Is it while turning? Driving straight? etc.
I'm getting the same thing with the bearings...book 'em Dano.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Well, i got the car back last night...looks naked without the tint on the replaced windows. The car is definitely more responsive with the new rack...but the alignment is way outta wack. They did the toe-in, so i'm thinking my camber was way off before then, and the "wandering steering wheel"/loose rack hid that issue.

I'm still getting the vibration at 75-80+, but that could be the winter tires, possibly out of balance, or the bearing, or the...who knows. I don't hear any noises now...which is good...so i can just enjoy the exhaust.

Now, i just gotta find the time to get the tint re-done. I think i'm going 30% all the way around, instead of the 30/15 that i had before. The wife just got another tint ticket two weeks ago, so she's harpin' on me to go semi-legal, which ain't gonna happen. Anyone have 50% tint with the black interior? I know i'm getting way off topic here.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

What a buddy of mine did was...
He did 35% all around, and then do a 50% on the front. Now that's illegal, but you can BARELY tell that it's done with how the other windows are. And no one ever checks the front. State of WI the rear can be anything, but the sides have to remain legal which is the 35%. You'd be amazed how much of a difference that front tint made. BUT, he did say night driving was a little weird in the country wooded area with no street lights
Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tint the front ? Why on earth would you do that hehe
Old 01-05-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

How many miles did you guys have on your cars when the clunking started
Old 01-05-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I got mine done around 10,000. The noise wasnt even that loud and I thought it was the car just being stiff in the cold...Apparently it was alot more than that.They replaced the right front strut to no avail then they relaced the rack. set the alignment perfect like new.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine started around... 22,000 and i got it fixed around 26,000 as it got worse after every few hundred miles.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

The clunking for me was first diagnosed as the ISS at 18,000, but they misdiagnosed the squeak from the rack as a "horn ring/noise canceling cam lubrication" issue. At 29,000 or so i went to the new dealer and with research from here and other forums, i pointed them to the rack as the source of the squeak (and subsequent clunk). So ultimately it was going bad at 18,000mi.

Regarding the tint, i wouldn't consider doing the windshield. My vision isn't the greatest. I think i'm going with the illegal 35% on the sides with the 15% already on the quarter-glass and back windshield. The $60 ticket isn't much of a deterrent so long as it's only an annual affair....or at most every 6-mos...as long as they don't tack on the no front plate or other equipment issues. FWIW, i have had an officer ask if the windshield was done before...so i'm not looking to get pagged for that, too.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

You guys are getting tickets for tint not here you can have what ever you want.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Not quite accurate...although their enforcement may be nil.

Louisiana Tint Laws

Lousiana Window Tint Law
Lousiana Tint Law Enacted: 1993
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN LOUSIANA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Lousiana, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 40% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 12% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN LOUSIANA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more than 20% reflective.
Back Side Windows Must not be more than 20% reflective.

OTHER LOUSIANA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Side Mirrors No restrictions.
Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in the state. Ask your dealer if they are using ceritified film.
Sticker Requirements The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on the driver’s side window.

Quick Reply: Front end clunking solved...