LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Question Regarding Cold Air Induction for an 05 GXP

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Question Regarding Cold Air Induction for an 05 GXP

I have an 05 GP GXP and am finally thinking about modding it a lil....I can't install a K&N intake because it is only compatible with the 06-08 model years because of the changes in MAS and ECU programming which makes it incompatible with my 05. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the cold air intake box from cold air inductions as it pertains to the 05 GXP. It says that it will work for 05-08 GXP's but i want to be sure before I shell out $285 or so ordering it as it may be an oversight on their part. Also any other suggestions for mods besides the Magnaflow or $5k Turbo? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think the intakes are any different through out the years. This is the first i'm hearing about changes between years. I have a 05 and have had both i have a cai air intake on right now
Old 08-04-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yeah, it should work just fine! The K&N 633059 - K&N 63 Series Aircharger for the 05 set ups are consistent to the 07 & 08 set up.
What you would need to do when your installing (this info is also for everyone else as well who either has or plans on installing K&N intakes):
Once you're running the trim along the front of the shield of your Intake(pointed towards the front of your car) there has been an issue with the rubbery foam splitting away from the bottom part of the trim(that clings to the sheild). I've seen this on a lot of LS4 engine bays including mine!! This issue is caused by the severe curve/drop along the sheild.
Once this has happen, you can easily order FREE trim from K&N!! But to deaden the issue, either cut the trim a inch short so that it doesn't stretch the foam severely to the point that it rips away Or the ghetto way, add a small strip of electric tape across the foam at the very end/bottom. Or even try to keep it loose on that roller coaster drop while applying the trim. These are proactive ideas that you can achieve, before that day you pop the hood & show off your engine bay & notice the hangy foam dangling off the shield. Sorry for babbling but to answer the rest of your question: you can order hogan down pipe, flip your motor mount or purchase the poly motor mount, strut bars, Diablo U7191, HS 1.8 rockers, shift kit, ls6 yellow springs, even spray it!! as the years progress, we should get more mods for these LS4s hopefully!
I want headers, I want Headers, I want Headers!!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:37 AM
TECH Resident

you can also get your throttle body and intake manifold ported
Old 08-04-2008, 04:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hey thanks stealthV8 for adding to the mod list.
Who does those ported TBs?!
& Your TRUE CAI=Kewl!! & I mean that in both ways!!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the information! I was concerned because a week ago I was just about to pick up the K&N 63-3059 and install it but noticed that it's application was '06-08 and not '05...so I emailed a tech at K&N and he's the one who got back with me and said it was incompatible. He said the MAS and ECU would not be able to adjust because of the changes in programming from 05 to 06-08.

Stealth, you have an '05 and you say they both work so I will trust what you say. I think for now I will go with the CAI box like you have (looks really good under your hood and it says 05 application). Unfortunately there is no dyno test that I've found to show any difference in HP and TQ comparing the K&N to the CAI but I'm sure they're both pretty close and are priced pretty much the same. CAI is on back order for 1-2 weeks so I hope it's worth the wait.

Thanks again everyone for your help! Great info and list of mods Carlocrusader, thanks!

Last edited by O5GXP; 08-04-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by O5GXP
Thanks for the information! I was concerned because a week ago I was just about to pick up the K&N 63-3059 and install it but noticed that it's application was '06-08 and not '05...so I emailed a tech at K&N and he's the one who got back with me and said it was incompatible. He said the MAS and ECU would not be able to adjust because of the changes in programming from 05 to 06-08.

Stealth, you have an '05 and you say they both work so I will trust what you say. I think for now I will go with the CAI box like you have (looks really good under your hood and it says 05 application). Unfortunately there is no dyno test that I've found to show any difference in HP and TQ comparing the K&N to the CAI but I'm sure they're both pretty close and are priced pretty much the same. CAI is on back order for 1-2 weeks so I hope it's worth the wait.

Thanks again everyone for your help! Great info and list of mods Carlocrusader, thanks!
The CAI intake uses the same K&N Cone filter as the K&N intake so it will give you pretty much the same performance gains maybe alittle better since the box keeps some of the heat out.

hey thanks stealthV8 for adding to the mod list.
Who does those ported TBs?!
& Your TRUE CAI=Kewl!! & I mean that in both ways!!
There was a company doing it, heres the link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...porting+intake

The special is over but i'm sure they still do it.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

StealthV8 where did you buy the CAI in the picture???
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

WOW $265.99 is alot for a CAI, is this the newly redesigned CAI?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

$260-280 is about average