LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

No more Catback for me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more Catback for me!!!

I'm doing a clutch in the car, took out the entire exhaust, includeing the Mag catback, i'm so sick of that POS, it gets in the way of all kinds of things & its a hassle to deal with, anyone else feel this way lol, i had to slip off the elbow over the rearend too get the ory out, then i just said FXCK IT it ain't going back, for now i'm just going with a 3" bullet muffler on the ory with a turn down, what would be a sounding bullet on the cheap. I'll prob be putting it up for sale, the catback that is.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LM97Z
I'm doing a clutch in the car, took out the entire exhaust, includeing the Mag catback, i'm so sick of that POS, it gets in the way of all kinds of things & its a hassle to deal with, anyone else feel this way lol, i had to slip off the elbow over the rearend too get the ory out, then i just said FXCK IT it ain't going back, for now i'm just going with a 3" bullet muffler on the ory with a turn down, what would be a sounding bullet on the cheap. I'll prob be putting it up for sale, the catback that is.
Was that your sales pitch for the mag catback? lol
Old 10-15-2008, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

I'd get a dynomax bullet. maybe a 16"

that'll quiet it down, but remember.....bulltes are just race mufflers, they'll take a few decibels off, but not a lot. if you use this as a DD, I wouldnt reccomnd bullets
Old 10-15-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

agreed. You may want to look into what bullet muffler will quiet your car down the most. Otherwise you may be buying another muffler.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah, shell be loud! with any bullet muffler and especially dumped under the rear axle. maybe port it out towards the side in front of the tire ? thats what id do. itd keep most of the reverberations down from the inside of your car
Old 10-15-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

that is exactly how my iroc is setup... if curious check out the link to the vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CMXVUpqoNs
Old 10-15-2008, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chavez885
Was that your sales pitch for the mag catback? lol
I spit out my drink reading that follow up... But I will agree I have the Mag Cat-back and although a nice piece, it's bulky but hey it comes out easy enough if you need to get around it.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

No sales pitch, but hey, i figured if someone wanted it, what the hell lol, i do sometimes like the sound, other times i want it to sound more muscle car like, i also never liked those tips they put on, too truck like, the original SS tips are cool. I love the way the car looks without those tips, i can also show off this more

Old 10-15-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

No sales pitch, but hey, i figured if someone wanted it, what the hell lol, i do sometimes like the sound, other times i want it to sound more muscle car like, i also never liked those tips they put on, too truck like, the original SS tips are cool. I love the way the car looks without those tips, i can also show off this more

Going for the sleeper look eh...lol
Old 10-15-2008, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll get tired of it. And it's not the Magnaflow catback that takes away from the muscle car sound, it's the Y pipe. An X pipe does it too. My next exhaust will be 2.5" true duals with no X or H pipe, and probably no muffs. It will be run all the way out the back.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:25 PM
Banned

Sorry but that Magnaflow is far from a piece of shi*. Just because it might get in the way of something doesn't mean it's a P.O.S. And no, I'm not PRO Magnaflow just had to call you on this one!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fergymoto
You'll get tired of it. And it's not the Magnaflow catback that takes away from the muscle car sound, it's the Y pipe. An X pipe does it too. My next exhaust will be 2.5" true duals with no X or H pipe, and probably no muffs. It will be run all the way out the back.

I remember those days of the straight pipes all the way out with no muffs, if you think glass packs are load, wait till you here without any mufflers lol, talk about a load **** & high pitched, sounds like **** IMO, i really hate to admit it, but i like the sound of the flowmasters, its the cab humming i don't like, it may not be old school, but it still sounds great, i've heard the bullets, they sound good too, i don't think i'll get tired of the noise, i'm used to open headers, i'm sure it won't be near that load, i did hear one at the track, all it had was a single bullet after the ory, with headers, i couldn't believe how quit it was at lower RPMs, you could barely hear it, but it had that deep throaty sound that i like.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Sorry but that Magnaflow is far from a piece of shi*. Just because it might get in the way of something doesn't mean it's a P.O.S.
Looks like i might have a buyer then lol, maybe i should have rephrased that, its not the magnaflow thats a POS, its a great muffler IMO, it the damn catback thats a POS, but thats just MY opinion, don't mean nuttin.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

I remember those days of the straight pipes all the way out with no muffs, if you think glass packs are load, wait till you here without any mufflers lol, talk about a load **** & high pitched, sounds like **** IMO,
I've already seen and heard it and it didn't sound anything like what you described. A bullet and a turndown on the y pipe are going to be loud as hell INSIDE the car. If you drive it any kind of distances you WILL get tired of it sooner or later.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

i have true duals dumped with glasspacks x-pipe dumped, it isnt too too loud, but u def notice it, but i like it
Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Moroso spiral-pro has a great sound.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
i have true duals dumped with glasspacks x-pipe dumped, it isnt too too loud, but u def notice it, but i like it

I am with this guy except mine is 3" with Dynomax Bullets and no turn downs. I like the sound not to loud until you put your foot into it. It does have an annoying drone. But so did my single chamber flowmaster prior to the duals.

D
Old 10-16-2008, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all the vids on my fquick page have that same setup, PS LT's anbd ORY with a dump dynomax bullet, and I agree with some of the guys here, depending on your tastes it might be a little loud for a DD, but then again I didn't mind, it's all up to you, and your local cops, LOL...

http://www.fquick.com/myvideos/index...r=1SlowFormula
Old 10-16-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

DO IT!!! i have the 23 1/4" overall length dynomax bullet on the end of my y-pipe with a turndown. to me it sounds as loud or a tad quieter than stock manifolds with stock cat and no muffler. I LOVE the sound of it. it certainly isn't too loud to me or anyone who has ridden in it. it is far quieter than an open cutout with longtubes.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

I have Mac Mid length headers and Ypipe right into a 3" bullet and thats it! No turndown. I had it pointing towards the RR tire but at the lights the fumes would stat to get to me a little more than how a have it now, pointing right to the center of car. Its loud but not too loud to be annoying.

Quick Reply: No more Catback for me!!!