LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C box

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C box

Ok, I want to know who here has successfully pulled out there stock air box from their firewall. That's the first part, the part that I really want to know is how to pull it off without losing the heater core, and fan... I have my theory, I just want to see if anyone else has done this yet, or if I will be the first. I don't know about you guys, but I can't stand a cluttered engine bay, drives me crazy!
Old 12-29-2008, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

I haven't done this but pretty sure you got to pull the dash. Check this thread out https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ete-panel.html
Old 12-29-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I deleted my A/C and kept the heater core and fan. It looks the exact same as the picture in the link above^^ but it has a hole cut out for the heater core hoses... and the vacuum line for the climate control (you need that vacuum hose). And you don't need to pull the dash out. In fact you don't do anything to the interior.
I used a dremel and cut around the box. I used a vacuum while cutting cause your going to be breathing fiberglass smoke.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

heh I just made a OC Delete box for my friend's S10 I cut the plastic part of the box that houses the AC 'radiator' thingy with an air cutoff wheel, then hacked up the cut off section to cover up the big hole in the box. Then I took some card board and taped that up over the open areas that the hacked up plastic sheet didn't cover, and then laid some fiber glass over that (2 layers). Had we cared about aesthetics, it would've looked MUCH better, but I didn't sand it down or anything, so it was quite bumpy Turned out damn nice though haha

While that's not much help, since it's an S10, it's something to think about for doing AC Delete while keeping heat! Was my first time ever doing that (or glassing) too, so I'm sure you could tackle it
Old 12-29-2008, 07:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...questions.html

'the merv" has done what your wanting to do. I plan on doing this later in February. There are several trheads about it with more pics in the drag racing section. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ralls
I deleted my A/C and kept the heater core and fan. It looks the exact same as the picture in the link above^^ but it has a hole cut out for the heater core hoses... and the vacuum line for the climate control (you need that vacuum hose). And you don't need to pull the dash out. In fact you don't do anything to the interior.
I used a dremel and cut around the box. I used a vacuum while cutting cause your going to be breathing fiberglass smoke.
Yeah, I was thinking about using a cut off wheel to do the same thing, but there's not much room when you get back into the area of the computer, how'd you manage in that tight section?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, one other thing, as far as cutting out the hole for the heater core lines... anyone have any measurements by chance? I'll be fabbing my own out of some aluminum coil stock so it's ok to mess it up, but I just wanted to see if anyone knew off hand?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hot93rod
Yeah, I was thinking about using a cut off wheel to do the same thing, but there's not much room when you get back into the area of the computer, how'd you manage in that tight section?
I unbolted the PCM and set it to the side. I did this with motor out... is your motor out?? I went out and bought that dremel cable extension that attaches to the actual dremel tool because it's small and flexible. I'm sure it's just as easy with a large cut off wheel. Anyways, the trick is to cut around the box in the middle first then remove the A/C evaporator. Now the box will be hollow and you can cut from inside the box making it easier to get in that tight area your talking about.

I don't have any measurements. I just measured from the outside edge to how far the heater hoses are.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, my engine's in right now, but my question is how do you know how far in or out to cut (to make sure you're cutting flush against the firewall) when you cut it from the inside? I already have the evaporator out, so that is one issue out of the way...
Old 12-30-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

This may help:
I wasn't completely done at this point. You still need to cut the section out between the blower motor and flapper door (otherwise it will be separated when you put on your block off panel).
Don't worry about getting flush with the firewall right away. Cut off sections little by little and eventually it will look very simple.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ralls
This may help:
I wasn't completely done at this point. You still need to cut the section out between the blower motor and flapper door (otherwise it will be separated when you put on your block off panel).
Don't worry about getting flush with the firewall right away. Cut off sections little by little and eventually it will look very simple.
Actually, that is a huge help... pretty much took care of everything! Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: A/C box