LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New personal best for my bolt on only LT1!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

One of the best mods I ever saw was done to Ben Moores car. I am really surprised that hardly anyone else does this to their own. It is cheap and it is very effective. I'm not saying what it is for a while, I will leave you to google it and ponder, lol.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just read the write up of ben moore's car in hot rob mag... ummm nasty!!!! lovin that intake idea... (minus the aftermarket intake) and that crankcase vaccum pump? hm weird but inventive...
Old 01-30-2009, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

That's what I am talking about. The ram air setup he has. This is a direct quote from him:

"and Ben says the ram-air effect is good for an honest 2 mph in the quarter-mile. "

He swaps from a CAI elbow setup to the ram air when he is at the track, so I would assume he's has tried both on the same day. You could EASILY duplicate this setup without any trouble with some stiff dryer tubing. It wouldn't look too good but it would be a dirt cheap way to go fast. Get rid of those damn foglights and get yourself a ram air setup!
Old 01-30-2009, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joelster
That's what I am talking about. The ram air setup he has. This is a direct quote from him:

"and Ben says the ram-air effect is good for an honest 2 mph in the quarter-mile. "

He swaps from a CAI elbow setup to the ram air when he is at the track, so I would assume he's has tried both on the same day. You could EASILY duplicate this setup without any trouble with some stiff dryer tubing. It wouldn't look too good but it would be a dirt cheap way to go fast. Get rid of those damn foglights and get yourself a ram air setup!
loli think it looks pretty freakin badass if u ask me lol...

oh and the fogs were in the trash about a month ago

oh and hopefully i could make it fit with the reg sunoco hood

oh and the only thing im worried about is the MAF sensor..... hmmmm im sure i could make it work somehow

Last edited by CamaroRacing12; 01-30-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
loli think it looks pretty freakin badass if u ask me lol...

oh and the fogs were in the trash about a month ago

oh and hopefully i could make it fit with the reg sunoco hood

oh and the only thing im worried about is the MAF sensor..... hmmmm im sure i could make it work somehow
Ben Moore's setup looks badass but what I am saying is that you can duplicate this with some aluminum dryer tubing, and THAT won't look too good, lol. Head to Home Depot in the furnace section and they will have those Fernco rubber couplers in there. Run one off of the intake and mount your MAF facing forward, then have at it with the dryer tubing.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

what type of tubing is he using? it looks good i wont mind spending some $$ to do it right...
Old 01-31-2009, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just left the dyno shop... sadly we couldnt get any torque readings because the laser that shot at the balancer kept gettin out of line when ever he got on it and the motor twisted. wasnt really to worried about it anyways, just go back with solid motor mounts next time... but any ways it made 265.6 then 265.3, so its the exact same as what it was a while back when i had the 10 bolt w/3.73 and 4l60e with 3000 stall... he gave me a printout of the hp and comparing it with the mph it was real flat line across the board.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

so that must be good... meaning ur making good pwer all the way across the powerband correct?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Ok so its been a while since ive done anything to the car but thats about to change! But first i need opinions... Im debating between two options right now and they are:

Option 1 : Buy Scorpion 1.7rr's, LT4 springs, EWP, and 160deg thermostat ($600 ish)

Option 2 : Buy a welder and and make a semi tubular front end like this ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ront-pics.html ) , the trunk delete mod, and get happy with my anlge grinder and lots of discs. (probably $600 ish also after i buy the welder, rear sheet metal, front aluminum tubing, and countless cutting discs) knock off about 150lbs.

Either way i need to buy a set of slicks for my bracket racing(gonna buy some 28x10.5x15 just to be on the safe side). But ill keep my 275/50's that have maybe a race or two left worth of passes for record setting. And i also have a ticket i gotta pay for : contest of speed, no insurance, no inspection, no registration, excessive noise... Which is why im limited to one or the other. Just dont think ill be to enthused to do option 2 later on in the year since going to full tubular front next year. Guess i could just sell the front setup when the time comes...

So whats yalls opinions?

Last edited by 95z28camaro; 02-14-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

^^^^^^for starters you need a lawyer,lol^^^^^^^^
you are on the right path for weight reduction
i would change the Lt4 spring idea for more seat pressure with the 1.7s like 135 on the seat.....
Old 02-14-2009, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
^^^^^^for starters you need a lawyer,lol^^^^^^^^
you are on the right path for weight reduction
i would change the Lt4 spring idea for more seat pressure with the 1.7s like 135 on the seat.....
Yea i got one. But still not gonna be cheap

What about the crane cams 10308 kit? Wanting to stay cheap since its only gonna be in for this season...
Old 02-14-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Junkie

no problem with those springs either......
Old 02-14-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, keep going! There are tons of things left that you can do. Get another tune, de-sensitize the knock sensor, run 93 octane. Ditch those fog lights! Gut that pig! You say you have 120lbs or so to go...I call BS, I could look at your car and see 250+ left to lose, Taubr could look at it and find 350+,lol. Run 2 mufflers right off of the collectors (it usually saves 20-25lbs), .......
How will running 93 octane faster? All things being equal it will probably make him slower.

Remember higher octane has a slower burn rate and unless you need to run it for compression purposes you are wasting money and cant expect absolutely zero gain from it, and in fact it may hurt a little by retarding the actual combustion event, although the difference would be minimal.

Now mix up a little nitro meth, and yeah that **** will scream
Old 02-14-2009, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gregrob
How will running 93 octane faster? All things being equal it will probably make him slower.
No, read below.

Remember higher octane has a slower burn rate and unless you need to run it for compression purposes you are wasting money and cant expect absolutely zero gain from it, and in fact it may hurt a little by retarding the actual combustion event, although the difference would be minimal.
Oh really? Exactly how much will it retard the combustion event? Do you know? I bet you don't. Enough that you can feel it? Like .2-.3? This is news to me. It may burn slower, but you are talking literally miliseconds.

Dude............

If you are serious about making your car go as fast as possible you ALWAYS run the best gas in your car, that it needs. You NEVER want to take the chance of having your knock sensor pull timing....EVER. This isn't even debateable. If he were to fill up with 87 and on the first run of the day his sensor detects a tiny bit of knock, it will pull timing and the motor will drop a lot of power, like 10-20hp, easy.

This guy is going for the bolt-on record. I'm assuming he has his tune set-up for running good gas (at least 91), which means it has a lot of timing added to make the most power.

Try this experiment for me.....

Go take an empty milk jug and add a teaspoon of 93 octane to it. Swirl it around (with the lid on) and shake it like crazy. Then take off the lid and drop a lit match into it. Report back to us with your feedback on "how slow" it explodes. Then do the same with 87 after your skin grafts heal, and tell us how much "faster" it exploded.

^^Don't really do that, i'm j/k
Old 02-14-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

gregrob, try pleading your case in the thread below lol its a close race on gasoline grades i started

https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...-best-run.html
Old 02-14-2009, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Um ive actually done that before! lol It slowed me down when i mixed it with the gas. But... then i did it the way i was told by a motorcycle racer friend of mine thats hangs around the prostock motorcycle guys alot, wel what the prostock motorcycle guys would do is mix it in there oil and thats the best way they found to do it. I put like two cap fulls in and it dropped me a few hundreths but im to much a ***** to put the full amount he told me to drop 2-tenths lol

I run just the premium 93 octane pump gas, anything higher slows me down for some reason so i definately need to get tuned just cant afford it...
Old 02-14-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

option one. Think the hp will take you faster than losing 150lbs. You need to tune the dam thing too. Anyways nice job.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcowle
Take a peek at your brakes, some neat mods make massive changes.
Any hints?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TravisA
Any hints?
I'm sure that guy did some specific mods to make 100% sure none of his pads were dragging on the rotors (which they do on just about every car). If you ever jack up any car and try to spin the wheels, you'll notice that they don't spin too long.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure that guy did some specific mods to make 100% sure none of his pads were dragging on the rotors (which they do on just about every car). If you ever jack up any car and try to spin the wheels, you'll notice that they don't spin too long.
I know what you're saying. I spun mine last night and it made it about a 1/4 of a turn. I can definitely hear and feel mine dragging. I have my calipers off now trying to find a way to keep the pads off the rotor some.

Oh and to the OP.... Great Times on a bolt on car!

Quick Reply: New personal best for my bolt on only LT1!