LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rwhp numbers LE vs AI

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
+1..His set up prob went wrong due to installing it wrong. Speed Demon seems to be the only one that's had problem with a LE set up and he loves to post up his time slips all over the place. You should just use them as your "SIG picture" already. Getting pretty old to say the least. LET'S SEE SOME PROOF OF YOUR FAULTY "LE" SET UP Until then can it.
If I am not mistaken Speed Demon DID in fact have a problem on the dyno with the LE setup. And possibly at the track.

.2 and 2 mph can be attributed to density altitude(weather) among other things.

Also were the cams in the two setup comparable as far as numbers go?

Just so everyone knows, LE ported the heads on my car. No they are not stock castings. I expect some 10.30's out of my car when I get a different converter and a drag rear swaybar on the car. With some weight reduction...who knows? Turd still weighs 3600 with me in it.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I would like to see some proof of his issue then...
Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think dyno GRAPHS are actually worth comparing, and here's why.

Aside from driving the car down a track and on the street, a dyno graph is one of the best ways to tell what kind of power the car is making.

Notice I didnt say how much power, but what kind

In essence, I could give a crap less how much peak HP a setup makes, I want to know about area under the curve.

THAT is what makes a car "fast", fun to drive on the street, and consistent.

A guy said it already, he walked a vette both ET and MPH wise who had a higher dyno number than him. Thats why area under the curve is so important.

I'd like to see more graphs of both, so we can compare the shape of the curve, and not so much the peak numbers.

That's what I'm shooting for in my car, and I think I know which company can help me achieve that

Last edited by gregrob; 03-05-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:04 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
I think dyno GRAPHS are actually worth comparing, and here's why.
If you mean to check out how ramp rates behave per given rpm then sure it's great, but that doesn't tell you a whole lot other than driveability info.
Problem with ramp rates is they too can be effected by peak numbers given as well as the thousands of variables from dyno to dyno.
Best way to compare is car owners learn how to drive their setup and said two cars run side by side at the same track, same day, same bat time and same bat channel. Anything else is just hootenanny hogwash....
Posting dyno sheets on the internet to show what kind of power was made with no ET's to back it up is a great way to e-extend an ego yet means absolutely nothing. I find when that happens people are either a) too far away to run at a local track. b) can't drive worth a tinkers damn and are too embarrassed to put up their times. c) are nothing more than dyno queens with no intention of running at a track yet LOVE to e-argue how their dyno numberz r lyke the alsomezt f0 lyfe!
Old 03-05-2009, 06:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

The only real valid way to compare dyno numbers would be to run the smae transmission, rear-end, etc......

Person a could dyno their car with a 6-speed going through the 10-bolt
Person b could dyno their car with a big stalled auto going through a 9-inch.

If that were the case it would be pretty hard to get any accurate info.

Both of these companies have produced nearly the same results. A shitload of cars in the 12's and 11's, a handful in the 10's. That is what you can expect when you order their stuff. Rick Abares car shouldn't even count, it's not a street car plain and simple. It's a Super Stock Eliminator car that happens to have some AI parts on it.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lol at the change to personal attacks and questioning.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree...this is why these threads are dumb. dude asked for HP numbers from people set-ups...turns into a pissin match
Old 03-05-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

gizmo's car runs better than 99% of what Ai and LE puts out, I guess we should all run stock heads, right?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

I like it when people spit out the latest "fad" terminology, like "area under the curve". The curve of WHAT?

HERE is what makes a car FAST, its called AVERAGE POWER, over your entire rpm RANGE. When you shift a six speed car, say you shift it at 6900 rpm, this will give you a second gear beginning point of 4400 ish to start that gear off. If your car is "dead" in the torque curve right there(4400 ish) guess what. Its gonna run like do do. No matter what gear is in the rear, the spread will be the same, more gear in the rear will only move it through the bad spot quicker.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

both are great companies with great results

but the big difference to me is I got to speak directly with lloyd the first time I called for 15-20min like we were good friends, I was only buying a cam from him not giving him a ton of business but felt like I was a very valued customer no matter what my purchase. whereas AI didn't even give me the pleasure of being put on hold after the 5th try.

personally I'd rather buy something from a company that makes me feel valued than one that makes me feel like I'm not worth their time
Old 03-05-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

i think the OP should get a set of the other company's head that he is not using and put it on the dyno and then show us the results, the only true way to see a difference since most cars are set up different
Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

and to be honest, that's why lloyd is getting my business. i know i could get power from both and maybe AI would get me a little more...but i sent lloyd an email asking a couple questions, he responded that same day with like a 7 paragraph response. i personally haven't tried to even contact AI and maybe they'd do the same, but i went to lloyd first, got answers and he took time to sit there and answer my questions in detail the first time. that's why i'll be choosing him.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I know! I thought so even drunk! I just want to compare Numbers not fight about whos better. This could have been a great guide for future builds.
You could spend hours on here searching this topic and come to your own conclusion. I'm not trying to be abrasive, don't take it that way, these threads just don't usually turn out well.

As far as the earlier comment being made about tracks having more variables than a dyno, well maybe, so then ask why it matters, a car making more power could run slower than a car making less if it's not setup right & vise versa.

In a perfect world, their would be perfectly setup cars, perfectly crafted cylinder heads a perfect weight bias, bla, bla, bla. Good thing there's Walgreens!!!

James
Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by whammer33024
and to be honest, that's why lloyd is getting my business. i know i could get power from both and maybe AI would get me a little more...but i sent lloyd an email asking a couple questions, he responded that same day with like a 7 paragraph response. i personally haven't tried to even contact AI and maybe they'd do the same, but i went to lloyd first, got answers and he took time to sit there and answer my questions in detail the first time. that's why i'll be choosing him.
Lloyd is great like that, always a gentleman and always helpful. That's why personal preference becomes such an issue in threads like these. I PERSONLLY like Lloyd but obviously both companbies have a great product.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ABA383
Hahahaha! Thanks...I love telling folks I run a lil 226/234 cam...I have to credit Joe Overton for that...I could have gone bigger and most said that Joe's selection was wayyy too small...He assured me that the car would drive look a stocker and run like a race car...Thanks Joe...Remember that my first cam was an even weenier LPE 211/219...

And I'm still at 3625 lbs or something like that...Hate to think what would happen with a little weight reduction...Hell I lost 35 lbs since my divorce...mmmmmm..... And I think Ai carries a similar cam...That would be a good choice..

--Alan
i'm planning on setting my car up with the 212-219 cam i've got right now, and maybe a little nitrous later on down the road

I was just screwing around bro I wouldn't have gone any other way. Regardless if I had been sitting on a BIG stack of $$$
good haha, cause im about 99% sure ill be going with some LE2 heads here in the near future

Honda Power F.T.W.
I'm being serious this time
smart ***!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

sorry for the ignorance guys, but whats the website for LE port works?

sorry im stupid just found it.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

I would rather not spend hours searching, since the search function sucks and I never get what im looking for.

If you look at my dyno it should run pretty damn good. TQ curve is great.

Keep in mind that it has a S60 during the dyno, 17 rims and heavy tires, and now has 3"TDs.
With the 10bolt the car made 411 with NO cut out, then it picked up 17rwhp with a cut out, Now it has TDs
I would bet 435-440 Hp If i put the 10bolt back in to dyno it, but im not
Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
i'm planning on setting my car up with the 212-219 cam i've got right now, and maybe a little nitrous later on down the road

good haha, cause im about 99% sure ill be going with some LE2 heads here in the near future

smart ***!
Me smart ***...nooo Glad to hear you are going to be calling up Lloyd here soon. You will be happy with his work
Old 03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
If you look at my dyno it should run pretty damn good. TQ curve is great.
Assuming you have the correct tire/gear ratio to run at the track, what are your predictions?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Next time I need to make big decisions about go fast parts, I'll be sure to base my decision on factors that have NO impact on how fast my car will go. Seems like an informed decision.

Quick Reply: rwhp numbers LE vs AI