LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help with nitrous !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with nitrous !!

My buddy has a edlebrock kit for his s10 358ci he wants to sell me the kit for my z28 .. i know i will need some more things just not sure what they are .. the kit comes with two solenoids and all the lines for it with a ten lb bottle It has a plate for carb setup but obviously i cant use that hahah . what other things will i need with it to make this a safe application for my z . im n.o.s educated so you can use tech terms .. i just never hooked up n.o.s to a lt1 before.i saw a couple diffrent setups for them like a throttle body plate then were you can injuct it into the intake just not sure what to use and what i will need any help would be nice .thanks .. jesse
Old 03-09-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by outta_control_z28
My buddy has a edlebrock kit for his s10 358ci he wants to sell me the kit for my z28 .. i know i will need some more things just not sure what they are .. the kit comes with two solenoids and all the lines for it with a ten lb bottle It has a plate for carb setup but obviously i cant use that hahah . what other things will i need with it to make this a safe application for my z . im n.o.s educated so you can use tech terms .. i just never hooked up n.o.s to a lt1 before.i saw a couple diffrent setups for them like a throttle body plate then were you can injuct it into the intake just not sure what to use and what i will need any help would be nice .thanks .. jesse
You will want to buy either the TB plate or find a nozzle to use. You can buy nozzles on here second hand for pretty cheap. Outside of that based on what you said it appears thats all you would need outside any saftey equipment you might want to run.

You will want to think about either putting in a colder plug or have a way to pull timing. Colder plug being the cheaper router as pulling timing takes either an MSD timing **** or if you opt MSD has a digital 6 which has a feature for that.

How does the kit activate? Does your friend have it on a microswitch or is in on a button?

Several things to consider, doing your homework like you are here will help alot. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Need help with nitrous !!-picture-049.jpg  
Old 03-09-2009, 04:11 PM

his i believe is button activated or it runs a w.o.t switch on the throttle at the carb ... im not sure .. i have a msd opti-spark which i believe is adjustable 5 points in either direction but i think is manually adjusted i need something that will back off the timing only when its sprayed right ..you say i msd timing **** i will check into that ..and i think its 2 degrees for every 50hp or is it 5 degrees for every 50hp shot im spraying 125 to it
.. which system is better a throttle body plate or a nozzle system ?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

plate system is better talk to ray or dave at nitrous outlet very good place. they hav a nice plate that they could sell u and also get the safety things you need. i bought my kit from them and will be buyin the extra jets and lines that i need from them. but i think im going to use hsw's micro edge controller
Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Teching In

his i believe is button activated or it runs a w.o.t switch on the throttle at the carb ... im not sure .. i have a msd opti-spark which i believe is adjustable 5 points in either direction but i think is manually adjusted i need something that will back off the timing only when its sprayed right ..you say i msd timing **** i will check into that ..and i think its 2 degrees for every 50hp or is it 5 degrees for every 50hp shot im spraying 125 to it
.. which system is better a throttle body plate or a nozzle system ?
2 degrees for every 50 is a correct rule of thumb. 4 degrees for a 125 is fine. i would also reccomend some race gas or good octane booster if you cant get to race gas for anything over 100 shot to be safe.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:14 PM

so do i have to use a timing retarder or could i just retard my timing on my msd opti cause that will adjust 5 degrees either way , or will my car run like complete **** 4 degrees retarded when im crusin around town off the bottle ?
and i do thank everyone for the help im real new to nitrous ive always been all throttle no bottle kinda guy but i do want to have my car setup right for it ..it does have heads and a pretty stout cam 1.6 rr along with a ported intake 58mm throttle body slp mass airflow, under drive ,msd opti , bbk headers full magnaflow exhuast , shift kit ,411 rear its just a stock bottom end but its been rebuilt so i think it will be ok for a 125 shot eh ? im gonna run 110 race gas 93 octane 50/50 at the track so im safe there ..i wont be using the nitrous on the street , im not really into street racing i like duking it out on the track ya know lol im just gonna use the giggle gas at the strip to impress the ladies hahhahah
Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Teching In

so do i have to use a timing retarder or could i just retard my timing on my msd opti cause that will adjust 5 degrees either way , or will my car run like complete **** 4 degrees retarded when im crusin around town off the bottle ?
and i do thank everyone for the help im real new to nitrous ive always been all throttle no bottle kinda guy but i do want to have my car setup right for it ..it does have heads and a pretty stout cam 1.6 rr along with a ported intake 58mm throttle body slp mass airflow, under drive ,msd opti , bbk headers full magnaflow exhuast , shift kit ,411 rear its just a stock bottom end but its been rebuilt so i think it will be ok for a 125 shot eh ? im gonna run 110 race gas 93 octane 50/50 at the track so im safe there ..i wont be using the nitrous on the street , im not really into street racing i like duking it out on the track ya know lol im just gonna use the giggle gas at the strip to impress the ladies hahhahah
well first off, if you dont spray on the street after the 1st time you feel the power of the bottle, i will be impressed. lol. its very addicting. anyway, yes you CAN just pull timing out through the opti. if you dont have the money right now or whatever for a retard box. just to ease your mind a little, i have sprayed up to 175 shot through a 70k mile STOCK bottom end for over 2 years. but spray what you feel comfortable with.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Teching In

oh yea, i would just take out 4 degrees and get 'best time" at the track, and set it back after your done with the bottle. oooorrrrrrr when your out lookin for a mustang to smoke, just pull the 4 degrees out before you start cruisin around.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:28 AM

HAHAHA that's whats up .. yea the only reason i didn't want to spray on the street is so i dont damage my engine ..ive seen a few motors cooked with nos but yea your right once i crack that bottle its on like Kong i had a s10 with a 355 i had on spray but that was much easier it ran of a msd box so no prob i had a 200 shot on that truck and it was a beast ... its not i dont have the jingle for the parts i need i just wanted to know my options for what to get ya know .. i just spent 3000 in my heads and cam and other things i just want my car to be top notch ya know .. the car will be fast already without the bottle i should be able to cook some stang *** on motor hahah but if need be i will crack that bottle .. i would rather have it were i could just retard the timing without lifting the hood so i guess a msd **** would work i saw a universal kit from jegs but it dosnt have alot of info .. i don't know too much bout these lt1 ive only built carb motors before so this is all pretty new to me i do appreciate the info and the help you guys are the best .. just outta curiosity what else you have done to your camaro along side that beast shot of spray lol think i should spray a bigger shot ???
Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Teching In

go to jegs.com and put in this part number. this is the box thats getting my money...650-6865M
Old 03-10-2009, 05:37 PM

oh yea thats sweet .. now how does that work with a opti
Old 03-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Teching In

oh yea thats sweet .. now how does that work with a opti
opti is still a distributor. works the same as old school sbc.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

Just retard it, change to a colder plug, run a little race gas and forget it. You will never want to race with out it. It's like a drug you can't get enough. Also you might want to switch to a lt4 knock module just a thought? good luck
Old 03-13-2009, 02:58 AM
11 Second Club

Please stop saying nos. Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

idk why people have a problem with typing nos i know its a brand and the way ricers say it but it stands for nitrous oxide system. so if hes using it to say wat do i need for this nos kit to be safe it kinda makes sense. now i usually use n2o or nitrous but i dont think theres a problem wit sayin nos unless u pronounces it lik that and actually call it that when talking with people.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

For pulling timing, I use a Mallory 685 ign. box. Wired into the system "on" switch. Hit the switch and the box pulls whatever timing retard you have it set on.