LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

where to find single wire o2 extensions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default where to find single wire o2 extensions?

does anyone know where to find these? i can only find multiple wire extensions, which isn't what i need. or is there a heated o2 conversion somewhere for us single wire folk?

i'm pretty sure this is the problem i'm having.. it'd be great if i could find some local before this weekend's over, but i don't see that happening.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:45 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt you'll find them local. You're probably better off making them yourself. When I was looking for o2 extensions I saw a ton of people on the net who did it themselves.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

i was told soldering o2 extensions was bad, and i'm getting new o2 sensors, so i'd rather have an entire set of legit o2 sensors haha. i've thought about heated o2 conversion, but it just seems like one of those things i'd rather not have to set up all the wiring for and what not...
Old 03-21-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Crows93Z
i was told soldering o2 extensions was bad, and i'm getting new o2 sensors, so i'd rather have an entire set of legit o2 sensors haha. i've thought about heated o2 conversion, but it just seems like one of those things i'd rather not have to set up all the wiring for and what not...
I soldered in extensions on the harness side with no problem. Id rather have a little bit of resistance in the wire than corrosion able to form on the connector contacts.

I have a 94 harness now to and they are extended on the harness side with no problem.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with the heated o2 conversion if you have LTs.

My coated Pacesetter LTs were keeping my single wire o2s from heating up enough to read accurately and was making my car run like crap. The heated o2 conversion from thunderracing cleared that up.

It comes with everything including a 4-wire heated o2, and was easy to install and wire. You need to get two kits, comes out to about $180 for everything you need.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puck
Go with the heated o2 conversion if you have LTs.

My coated Pacesetter LTs were keeping my single wire o2s from heating up enough to read accurately and was making my car run like crap. The heated o2 conversion from thunderracing cleared that up.

It comes with everything including a 4-wire heated o2, and was easy to install and wire. You need to get two kits, comes out to about $180 for everything you need.
+1 had same problem here and heated o2's fixed it
Old 03-21-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah definitely go with heated o2's
Old 03-21-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

that seems ridiculous. your O2's are still in your collectors, which are going to get up to like 700 degrees.. it might take a little longer, but the car's gonna be running rich at that stage anyways, right?. my O2's were fine with my longtubes without being heated until they went out..
Old 03-21-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You've got it a bit mixed up, it's the butt-crimp connectors that are bad for extending O2s, you're supposed to solder them You could always make your own extension too.

(website in picture source link, not a sponsor, goto the TBI/TPI section) EDIT: That's a single wire BTW, that's just a really black shadow is all

Get 2 of these, see if they'll sell/send your 2-4 un-crimped ends for inside the plugs and then 2 old O2 sensors. Cut the plugs off the old sensors and then take a length of wire, how ever long you need, and crimp the new ends on each side. Pull out the ones from inside the plugs and push the new wire inside till they click (there's a certain way, you'll figure it out when you remove the ones in them). VOILA! I wouldn't doubt that they'd even make you them, PM S10Wildside on the forums here.

Last edited by Formula350; 03-21-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

www.innovativewiring.com

IIRC they make them

Last edited by BALLSS; 03-21-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that seems ridiculous. your O2's are still in your collectors, which are going to get up to like 700 degrees.. it might take a little longer, but the car's gonna be running rich at that stage anyways, right?. my O2's were fine with my longtubes without being heated until they went out..
Coated longtubes put the o2 farther from the hot primaries, plus a free flowing exhaust like true duals lowers temps even more.

When datalogging, my car would take almost 10 minutes to get into closed loop from a cold start...in 90 degree weather. When it finally did go into closed loop, the o2 readings were erratic.

After the heated o2 conversion it goes into closed loop within 3 minutes and the readings are much more accurate.

The newer 4 wire o2s are also more tolerant to lead and race fuels then the old single wire style, and will last longer.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
www.innovativewiring.com

IIRC they make them
Not unless it's listed somewhere else. I'm only seeing this one.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Not unless it's listed somewhere else. I'm only seeing this one.

Ping Gary at Inovative...he can make up anything.

Quick Reply: where to find single wire o2 extensions?