12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quit crying about it and do work!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Quit crying about it and do work!
ill cry all i want! i was really looking foward to at least getting her in the engine bay again.. it just depresses me ive been without my baby for over a month! my main concern now is finding my windage tray.....
Old 04-24-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

ok so i talked with my builder today and he said that i had a windage tray but he didnt put it back because it was going to hit the baffles in the oil pan. does that make sense ? and would it be ok if i just cut the baffles out of the pan? or would it cause a problem ?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As has already been well documented by shbox, bone stock they had a tray and baffles they get along just fine.

If I were you I would have a not so great feeling about the build at this point.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

It is WAY fing better you are dealing with this when motor is out...

Put the motor on the stand and pull the pan. If no windage tray than get one. As mentioned Miloden makes extended studs or you can use GM ones.

"If" you have a stroker motor and use the GM studs put a 1/8" washer between windage tray and mounting points to raise it away from the crank (see pic)
Attached Thumbnails stock windage tray-g383-windage-tray.jpg  
Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
As has already been well documented by shbox, bone stock they had a tray and baffles they get along just fine.

If I were you I would have a not so great feeling about the build at this point.
Lets just hope that b/c LT1's are so very similar to Gen 1's in the rotating assembly area their won't be any problems...hopefully.

Unless the main studs are way different than the stockers were he hasn't even tried fitting it on and is just telling you that b/c he "eyeballed" it. It will fit, did from the factory should now.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Junkie

im not feeling to well. everything else is fine but this ******* windage tray bs is getting to me. would it be ok to remove the baffle from the oil pan ?

Originally Posted by My95Z
Lets just hope that b/c LT1's are so very similar to Gen 1's in the rotating assembly area their won't be any problems...hopefully.

Unless the main studs are way different than the stockers were he hasn't even tried fitting it on and is just telling you that b/c he "eyeballed" it. It will fit, did from the factory should now.

trust me im hoping alot. he told me he had put the tray on but it didnt fit. either which way im pulling the pan before i put it in the car when i have it. and next time ill tear the engine down completely
Old 04-25-2009, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thing is the stock windage tray will fit with the stock oil pan baffle, both being stock and all.
Sounds to me like the guy is just trying to get you to go away.

I think it important to differentiate things a little, the stock windage tray "studs" are actually bolts in the way they function twisting the fastener to tighten rather than just a nut. Bolts and studs cause different stresses so it is important to stick to what the block was machined with.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Thing is the stock windage tray will fit with the stock oil pan baffle, both being stock and all.
Sounds to me like the guy is just trying to get you to go away.

I think it important to differentiate things a little, the stock windage tray "studs" are actually bolts in the way they function twisting the fastener to tighten rather than just a nut. Bolts and studs cause different stresses so it is important to stick to what the block was machined with.
i know it should fit. there both stock and i cant see the studs being THAT off. thing is tho. what kind of issues would i run into if the pan baffles were removed ?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Well the baffles just try to contol oil and keep it down around the pickup. You might be able to get away with it, but I don't know if I'd chance anything in the oiling system. You could also run into problems with oil control when turning, braking...
Old 04-25-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Well the baffles just try to contol oil and keep it down around the pickup. You might be able to get away with it, but I don't know if I'd chance anything in the oiling system. You could also run into problems with oil control when turning, braking...
yeah i know :\ i really wanna take a look at it myself. i cant believe that something this stupid is stopping me from putting my car back together.. im so pissed still. does anyone else have any thoughts on the removal of the pan baffles ?
Old 04-25-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

What stud/bolts are you running again on the mains? (sorry I forget)
Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

What stud/bolts are you running again on the mains? (sorry I forget)
im running ARP's 234-5501
Old 10-19-2023, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by shbox
No, you still need the windage tray. Stock engines have a windage tray AND an oil pan with baffles.

http://shbox.com/1/oil_pan_baffle.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/oil_pump.jpg
So why do some stock lt1 have no windage tray?
Old 10-19-2023, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 136 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhedz4life$
I have never seen one that did not have a windage tray. By the early 80s most SBCs had a windage tray even. My 85 Z/28 305 TPI had a windage tray. My SBC 305 in my 83 G20 van had a windage tray from GM. My 92 TBI 350 had a windage tray. My Vortecs had a windage tray as well. I would say if the LT1 you saw was without a windage tray, someone had been inside of it and removed it. There are some old school hotrodders out there that think a windage tray leads to cam failure.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhedz4life$
They all have them from the factory.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

sometimes the windage tray is not re-installed in 383 builds as the rod bolts can hit it. Windage tray is important. I used washers to space the windage tray away on my 383 build.

Quick Reply: stock windage tray