LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Restoring my 1995 Bird..

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the dash still out of my car, I surfed the web like crazy, looking for a really good deal on a ratchet shifter. Never found one that that I was "crazy" about. So, instead, I spent the better part of today, performing surgery on my shifter.. After reading the write up by 1QUIKWS6 here on LS1TECH, he motivated me enough to surgically remove 1" off the shaft on my factory shifter. Here are a few pictures of what I did:

BEFORE (no cutting yet.. everything is still "factory")

AFTER (I never thought I'd here myself saying this, but, look at my shaft. It is now permenantly 1" smaller than before.. LMFAO):

It actually took me a while to do all of this.. The prepping took longer than expected.. Tools needed: (1) rotary tool, (2) cut off carbide disks, (1) roll of painters tape, (1) can of Rust proofing spray paint, (1) large flathead screw driver, (1) metal file, a razor blade, some painters paper for overspray and a whole lotta patience! Since I used 1QUIKWS6's original post as a kind of "guide", I posted all of my detailed information with TONS of pictures on HIS thread. My write up can be found here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11683549-post50.html

I did all of this because I own one of these:

However, I plan on selling my UMI Pistol Grip shift **** because I purchased one of these (its made of CNC'd Delrin). It should look very close to a stock M6 car because I have the M6 center console on my A4 trans):

Old 06-01-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

My shift **** came in today.. So, here is what everything looks like when it's all mounted up:

Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

i like that shift ****.

How much and where did you get it?
Old 06-01-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nik1703
i like that shift ****.

How much and where did you get it?
Picked it up off of eBay.. It was 34.99 + 3.26 shipping. The name of the seller is product_innovations_llc. Just type in these key words: Delrin Shift **** ...it should pop right up!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just a follow-up from Post #73: https://ls1tech.com/forums/11648297-post73.html ..I finally got a hold on some my yellow material and upholstered my unusable steering wheel stereo controls. Everything came out nicely.. Here is a BEFORE and AFTER shot (It's actually the same dark grey color.. One picture I had the flash on, the other picture I did not have the flash on):

Last edited by officermartinez; 06-05-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nothing really to update right now.. I am kind of waiting for others to complete the parts that I sent out.. I am still waiting on Pavlock Performance to send my tail light back to me.. Tyler has had my tail light going on THREE damn months.. ugh! I am also waiting on the upholstery shop to finish my dash and upper dash pad and until yesterday, I was waiting on the powder coater to finish my aluminum gauge cluster cover. I got that back and wow, I love it! Pictures soon to follow..

BTW, I completely pulled off my old steering wheel with a little steering wheel puller that I picked up from Harbor Break.. Oooops, I meant Harbor Freight. It actually did the job nicely.. Not too shabby.

Last edited by officermartinez; 06-11-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

holy *****! I would beat the living **** out of the kids that would do that to any car in a garage.

Nice restoration btw. you love yellow?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol you should switch out the brake pedal for a clutch and smaller brake pedal and wire a kill switch into the clutch pedal so that it must be in the up position to start the car (just imagine if a car thief got in and tried to steal it, they'd always try to start it with the clutch pedal on the floor, and of course it'd never start)
Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ThoR294
holy *****! I would beat the living **** out of the kids that would do that to any car in a garage.

Nice restoration btw. you love yellow?
It's funny actually.. I used to see those two kids walking thru the neighborhood, just about every other day. Ever since this incident, I have not seen them. Since they know I am a police officer now, I think they AVOID my block now.. They maybe idiots but it seems they aren't completely stupid! ..hahaha! Yeah, as far as yellow goes, actually, I was NOT a fan of yellow.. That's the funny thing. I am a BIG fan of BLACK / DARK GREY.. My 2006 F150 that I own is DARK GREY, my crotch rocket that I customized was BLACK, my wife's crotch rocket that I customized was DARK GREY. It wasn't until I started fooling around with photoshop that I saw how yellow really "worked" with dark green. It even looked good with dark grey. So, I gave it a whirl and I really like the accents.

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
lol you should switch out the brake pedal for a clutch and smaller brake pedal and wire a kill switch into the clutch pedal so that it must be in the up position to start the car (just imagine if a car thief got in and tried to steal it, they'd always try to start it with the clutch pedal on the floor, and of course it'd never start)
Now there's an idea! Hmmmmm.. I know it can be done. Back in the day, I knew several peeps that used their cigarette lighter as the "kill switch".
Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's been a little bit on my restore.. Again, I am still waiting on my dash to come back from the upholstery shop. I finally received my last tinted tail light. Since it takes about 2 minutes to install those, I will keep them off of the car for a bit (don't want to chip or scratch them). I've been buying a few things here and there to help down the road, mainly stereo components. I purchased (2) sets of Polk Audio MM651 6.5" speakers, a large spool of speaker wire, connectors, etc.. I am about to purchase a huge 5 channel Polk Audio amplifier.

I spoke with the shop owner of the upholstery shop and he said he will try to get my dash back to me, this upcoming Monday. (ugghhhhh). In the mean time, I am still trying to find a buyer for my Toby Ranger Subs/speaker box.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I just got a call from the upholstery shop and they said it was finished.. I ran down there and picked it up and I couldn't be more satisfied with the end result.. As soon as I saw it, my face lit up with a big sh*t eating grin! It's too late in the day today, but I will start on reinstalling it tomorrow. I also had a gauge overlay powder coated to help tie my yellow accents in with my dash.. Man, I love photoshop. It takes the guess work out of stuff so you can see what something will look like before you spend a dime. Here are the pics:

Old 06-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats to much yellow for me but its your canvas do it how you want it and thats all that matters. Also props on not parting it out when those punks destroyed it. To many people are parting them out and not putting some work and time (not to mention money) in restoring them. Since your a cop maybe you'll be a little leanit on us F-bod guys when you catch us speeding lol! I know you can catch the mustang guys cause they are already lagging behind lol!!!!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Noah's95z28
Thats to much yellow for me but its your canvas do it how you want it and thats all that matters. Also props on not parting it out when those punks destroyed it. To many people are parting them out and not putting some work and time (not to mention money) in restoring them. Since your a cop maybe you'll be a little leanit on us F-bod guys when you catch us speeding lol! I know you can catch the mustang guys cause they are already lagging behind lol!!!!
Hey, I appreciate the constructive criticism. I also appreciate the compliment about taking the time to restore a car that I believe is worth saving. I was looking everywhere for the little screws and the clear plastic cover that goes over the gauges.. Ugh, I totally lost em.. But, alas, I found everything and reassembled it. I also saw the foam material between the gauges and steering column was rotted out. So, I removed, prepped and added a fresh new layer of foam material.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

man you do incredible work! i cant wait to see what this car looks like completed. makes me wanna do some work to my Z
Old 06-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RSbeast
Going with the John Deere theme eh?
I would say it looks like british heritage racing colors

and I like it
Old 06-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Launching!

I think it's looking really good man!! Definitely coming together. I'm loving how the dash was wrapped. I've been pondering just how I wanted to do that, and was going to do french seams in some parts and I think I found out how I'm going to do it, now. haha.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by livewire516
I would say it looks like british heritage racing colors..

and I like it
Dude, that's bad azz... It never occured to me about the British racing heritage color schemes.. I found one that has a similiar scheme:

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
man you do incredible work! i cant wait to see what this car looks like completed. makes me wanna do some work to my Z
I appreciate that SoxXpupPeT! I sure wish I had more money on tap right now.. I am sooooo ready to get'r up and going! (so is my oh-so patient wife)! ..haha!

Originally Posted by latindragons
I think it's looking really good man!! Definitely coming together. I'm loving how the dash was wrapped. I've been pondering just how I wanted to do that, and was going to do french seams in some parts and I think I found out how I'm going to do it, now. haha.
Thanks for the compliment! Well to see this dash in person really makes me appreciate the attention to detail that the upholstery shop put into it. I was so impressed that I just got back from taking them a few more pieces to upholster. The dash gauge bezel is going to be upholstered with the same stitching and material as well as my M6 center console shift boot and my KEEAUDIO double din radio bezel. He said it should be ready this upcoming weekend.

Speaking of radio bezels.. Now that I am about to reinstall the dash, I think now would be a good time to run some audio cables and misc stereo wires / power wires.. It is SOOOO much easier when there is NO dash or center console or front seats in the way.. LOL. For all you audiophiles out there, I just purchased (4) Polk Audio MM651 6.5" speakers and a FREAKIN MONSTER Polk Audio PA1100.5 five channel car amplifier about 10 minutes ago! Holy crap, that amp is over 2 foot long!

Last edited by officermartinez; 06-22-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:44 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That dash looks really good like that. I was considering doing something extremely similar to mine once I get everything clearanced for the cage. I was already going to have the door panels redone so I'm just going to add that to the list.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
That dash looks really good like that. I was considering doing something extremely similar to mine once I get everything clearanced for the cage. I was already going to have the door panels redone so I'm just going to add that to the list.
Thanks! Can't wait to see your pics once you do it.. As for mine, I removed the "old" factory foam sealant from around the air ducts and reinstalled some new foam sealant material. I also reinstalled the duct work on the back side of the dash. I also reinstalled the lower dash mount and I am prepping everything to be completely reinstalled this upcoming weekend. I will be purchasing some 4 gauge power and ground wire, 12 gauge speaker wire, 6 channel audio interconnects (RCA Cables), fuse block (with fuses), wire terminals, etc.. I will be sure to update with some pictures of the installation.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Thats a good shifter mod, may use it!!

Quick Reply: Restoring my 1995 Bird..