Made my own custom intake (Large pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colin91Z
Thanks guys

To answer your questions...

First of all, 94Aquaformula did a superb job on the powdercoating for me!

The car does indeed have a maf, its relocated down below.

The "down"pipe as you call it is simply a 3.5", steel 60 degree, 1D radius mandrel bend that I bought from Dr.gas.com then trimmed to the correct length, then ovaled the end that mates up with the throttle body.

The valve covers are regular tall aluminum SBC ebay stuff, not LT1 specific. Then powdercoated wrinkle black

Mike, I don't think my setup works any better than your factory ram-air setup, just better than my old elbow+CAI, but I'm sure Larry could hook you up anyways

Oh, and don't plan on keeping your A/C with a setup like mine, there's just not room for a 3.5" pipe to run in that area if you still have the condensor in there. And I had to trim my "V" brace off the bottom of the hood latch for clearance too.

One more pic for good measure

Once evertthing else is sorted out Ill look into it, for function and looks!
My AC is gone now so no worries!!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly OP I don't like the looks of that at all. I think your LTX deserves something a little higher quality than that.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 217 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
My AC is gone now so no worries!!
Yea once that is gone you have alot more room to work with..

Originally Posted by Cross
Damn no love for those of us who keep our ac.....
Nope..you'll be alrite.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Wrong.

With it on my LT1 I picked up about .25 sec, no butt-dyno needed cause I had the slips.

I'd put a paycheck on my current Lid setup functioning a **** load better than any Elbow-style LT1 Intake Kit on my 402 Stroker.
My Engine sucks in about 1100-1200cfm and maybe a couple of birds every now and then..I can't see any LT1 Elbow-style keeping up with my Lid.
On a stroker, I agree . I plan on doing the lid swap with fog-light ram air rigged up for my big headed 383.

On a stock cube LT1 though, there is NO difference between a lid and a good CAI. Me and my tuner were hunting a dip in my dyno graph and thought it was an intake restriction so we started doing different test runs. I dynoed back to back within the same 5 minutes, no cool down, one run with full K&N FIPK and a used filter and then unhooked the elbow at the TB and ran it open. The result was 1.3rwhp on a H/C LT1 with an open TB compared to the full FIPK. Statistically insignificant. How much of that is margin of error and how much was due to just the dirty filter?? 350 LT1s just don't breathe enough when limited by factory LTX heads and the computers rpm limits to need more then a good CAI.

Going by my own personal results I find the lid conversion near useless on a stock cube LTX unless you will be running standing mile races with a true ram air setup. Now, for a stroker or high RPM build then it is of course superior!

PS: Carefully reading the TechII showed the dip ended up being a bad MAP sensor flashing a few wrong readings at the same rpm window every time you hit WOT.

Last edited by Puck; 06-04-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Typo - a good CAI is less impressive then a good CIA, LOL
Old 06-04-2009, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

^^With a bone stock Engine I agree with the statement that there is no difference..I was trying to throw out there with my post that is does greatly depend on the Engine and the Air Intake capability it has to what you would need a good Intake setup.

I just had a Hot Cam and I noticed a difference with mine, that's just the way it is.

Common sense should tell anyone in a way that air moving through a straight 12" at most will do it easier than an elbow with atleast 24" of path to travel.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Wrong.

With it on my LT1 I picked up about .25 sec, no butt-dyno needed cause I had the slips.

I'd put a paycheck on my current Lid setup functioning a **** load better than any Elbow-style LT1 Intake Kit on my 402 Stroker.
My Engine sucks in about 1100-1200cfm and maybe a couple of birds every now and then..I can't see any LT1 Elbow-style keeping up with my Lid.
Post up the slips. A .25 gain can be anything from traction to weather related all in the same day. The more air demand the better results can be had with minor air flow changes, however your **** does not consume 1100 to 1200cfm for doing 120mph in your lightweight car.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Lolz..I'm not getting into it with your ***.

You are right, we all know nothing there all mighty king..
Old 06-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Village Troll

Lolz..I'm not getting into it with your ***.

You are right, we all know nothing there all mighty king..
Time slips or shut the **** up.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Post up the slips. A .25 gain can be anything from traction to weather related all in the same day. The more air demand the better results can be had with minor air flow changes, however your **** does not consume 1100 to 1200cfm for doing 120mph in your lightweight car.
I completely agree with this logic. Hence my post.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Time slips or shut the **** up.
I left them at your mother's house.. sorry.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Village Troll

So in other words none of the bullshit you've stated can be taken for any sort of valid info. Intead of you posting information like this you should be figuring out why your valve seals are bad and why your lightened **** is running worse than full weight cam only LSx cars...
Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

I don't have any of my old LT1 Slips.. that was years ago. I do find it funny though that several of us here are telling the same gains.

Why do you have to bring my Car into it?
Yea I might have some problems I'm looking into so what about it?
I already have elimated the fact that it was Valve Seals..there are quite a few of us looking at it and it's baffling because everything at the moment checks out good.

How bout you get your *** over here and look at it since you apparently know everything..

And don't worry about my Track Times..that was with a bad tune and burning a **** ton of Oil..I have ALOT of room to improve on.
Hell in all reality I'm a pretty mild setup..those Cam only Cars I bet are alot more tricked out than me. I'm just having fun where I am.

How bout you stop hatin on us people here that like to get out there and do custom work to put the time into experimenting with ideas that are a little out of the norm of things. Just because you haven't seen it in a GM tech book doesn't mean the **** doesn't work.

Basically STFU and carry on son.

/end.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Village Troll

You want to cry about your car being brought into this when you try to deflect and lamely go after my family? Are you really that retarded?
Your claim was questioned. You don't like that. Not my problem. As stated, you want to make claims like that then please show the proof. If not, shut the **** up.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

That's right, my claim was questioned and several others as well as myself gave the same numbers..what is so hard about them numbers to believe?

I don't have my slips, they are long gone.. but that doesn't rule out the facts of it giving that kind of a gain.
Like I said in my previous post..just cause you didn't read it in a GM tech book doesn't mean that this custom stuff works.

I can break this down with some logic and common sense for anyone to understand..

Anyone with any kind of engineering sense at all would take into consideration that the Lid being a shorter straight travel for the incoming air will trump any kind of Elbow style Intake any day. Then again if you don't have a daily job that constantly deals with flow rates and moving something through pipes & hoses you wouldn't think about it like that.

Lid owns Elbow style..enough said with the above, and that's not even getting into the fact that the Lid also picks up the air coming up off the road that blows into the front of the Radiator, instead of the Elbow style sucking up the air that is in the pocket infront of the Driver's side Tire.

With my car in particular I removed the Fog Lights, cut all that steel out in that area and everything between that and the Radiator is removed, except for the little piece of black plastic that is there in the center. Basically I have it setup to be Ram-air right into the Radiator, and all that air is being sucked into the Intake aswell. But that's just me thought.

Now, I covered it with some pretty good points I think, you have any further input there sir? Anyone else?

Old 06-06-2009, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

To littlebird..go with your ideas and don't let some of the really ate-up technical ******** here get you down about them. Take the advice and clean it up and I'm sure you'll make it look good. You know what you want so get an idea and run with it. You have the right idea with your Intake..just tweak it some more and you will be good.

Lots of us here like to post what we have done so I'm sure you will get some good ideas..there are quite a few things that I have seen on here and then went and done then to my car.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's right, my claim was questioned and several others as well as myself gave the same numbers..what is so hard about them numbers to believe?

I don't have my slips, they are long gone.. but that doesn't rule out the facts of it giving that kind of a gain.
Like I said in my previous post..just cause you didn't read it in a GM tech book doesn't mean that this custom stuff works.

I can break this down with some logic and common sense for anyone to understand..

Anyone with any kind of engineering sense at all would take into consideration that the Lid being a shorter straight travel for the incoming air will trump any kind of Elbow style Intake any day. Then again if you don't have a daily job that constantly deals with flow rates and moving something through pipes & hoses you wouldn't think about it like that.

Lid owns Elbow style..enough said with the above, and that's not even getting into the fact that the Lid also picks up the air coming up off the road that blows into the front of the Radiator, instead of the Elbow style sucking up the air that is in the pocket infront of the Driver's side Tire.

With my car in particular I removed the Fog Lights, cut all that steel out in that area and everything between that and the Radiator is removed, except for the little piece of black plastic that is there in the center. Basically I have it setup to be Ram-air right into the Radiator, and all that air is being sucked into the Intake aswell. But that's just me thought.

Now, I covered it with some pretty good points I think, you have any further input there sir? Anyone else?

good point!!!!
Old 06-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Village Troll

What you've done is blow hard your way through another post. As stated the more demand for air movement the more effective airflow changes are. You have a relatively stock engine then little to no change will be noticed. Especially on any "butt dyno." You have an engine that demands more air then the manipulation of air intake may yield a greater result.
You claim a .25 gain with what you've done yet either are too stupid to realize, or don't want to think about the variables involved in making such a claim. Once again, as stated, weather, track conditions, the tool behind the steering wheel can all be factors in your claim. If you want to state something like that then do your tests all in the same day preferably performing your runs as close to one another as possible and providing said data. You cannot provide this data therefore your claim is null and void. You are a reason why wives tales are generated.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Lol @ the wives tales..

I can show you the reason that I may contribute to wives tales but I can't post a pic of that here..

My track passes were done 2 days apart with pretty much the same weather conditions..maybe +2*, % humidity with about the same as well as barometric pressure, very little crosswind on both days. Dead bugs on the car were about the same so the drag factor pretty much doesn't change. Just throwin this out there for your technical checklist.

Track was the same as well as me running the same tires and all the runs that I compared had 60ft's ranging from 1.85-1.90. I compared the 5 fastest runs from each day..the Elbow CAI from the 1st day and the Lid ones from the 2nd day. I took the average of these and this is where I got my .25sec gain. It was actually like .249..so I rounded up. Trap speed gain was about 1.75mph.

Now we can keep all this BS going about it.. but that is what I got and I think it's a pretty good way to get a result.
I got all the time in the world to argue with you and from what I can see you are coming at me with smart *** remarks and pretty much crap about why I couldn't possibly get my numbers..and I'm sending back your way logical and common-sense reasons of why I did. Yea I may not have my slips..but that was along time ago and I have enough facts to where I don't need them old slips IMO.

The basic fact is that I did it and got some numbers..so put your money where your mouth is and see what your car and Engine combo can do with one, or shut the **** up and leave it alone if you have no intentions on doing anything with it.

That's pretty much what it comes down to from someone that did it.. do it and prove me wrong, or carry on and mind your thoughts. I gave you enough detail, you give me some now old man.

Last edited by the_merv; 06-06-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Village Troll

... and here is more of your concrete data:
Old 06-06-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how about that custom intake... Way to take it off subject with your pissing matches.

To the OP and on topic..., looks interesting, be interested to see what the finished pics look like.

Quick Reply: Made my own custom intake (Large pics)