LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Should Milodon replace my oil pickup with a new one??

Old 07-06-2009, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should Milodon replace my oil pickup with a new one??

So when i initially built my stroker 383 about 2 years ago, i bought the 30909 oil pan from milodon and had told them i was running the stock oil pump and wasn't sure which oil pickup i needed for my lt1.

They had sent me an oil pickup but the opening was too small for the oil pump so i guess the shop that built my motor switched that part on the oil pump to fit the 5/8" oil pickup that milodon originally sent me when i actually needed the 3/4" oil pickup.

anyways, i finally pulled my motor and tore it apart in my garage about a month ago, contacted milodon and told them that I had originally needed the 3/4" oil pickup and not the 5/8" oil pickup they had sent me. I told them it was in my car and i just pulled it out and wanted to get the one i should have received in the first place.

I had purchased the oil pickup and pan straight from milodon.

so when they received the oil pickup on 06/18, i contacted milodon and they had said my oil pickup should go out. They still hadn't sent it out last week so now they were 2 weeks behind on sending out the correct oil pickup.

I called them today and the guy there, Tom, told me he found my oil pickup and it had been used so he didn't think he could use it and he wasn't sure but he would check to see if they had a used 3/4" one to send me.

I kind of want a new oil pickup, especially since they had originally sent me the wrong oil pickup in the first place and the shop worked with what i gave them.

plus i have waited for over 2 weeks at this point to have an oil pickup sent to me when they are also in the same state and it takes maybe a day or two max to ship the oil pickup to me.

do you feel i should just take a used one if that is what they send me? i sort of feel like i should get a new replacement of the size i initially needed since it was their mistake to begin with. the excuse they gave me last week for not sending out the correct oil pickup was that their welder was not there and they didn't have any but now they have them in stock but don't want to give me a new replacement for something they made a mistake on initially.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Granted it was their mistake in the first place sending you the wrong size, you should have sent it back right then. I can't blame them for not wanting to take back a used part. I think it is perfectly fair that they be willing to trade you a used 3/4 for a used 5/8. Most companies would make you buy another one.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

i understand what you are saying, i would have sent it back if i had known it was the wrong part, i didn't know that much 2 years ago when i initially had my stroker built which is why i had a shop do everything, of course now i am trying to do everything again since they in fact didn't build my stroker correctly.

hopefully they at least find a used 3/4" one, but if they don't and they want me to buy a whole new one, that kind of sucks, especially when they have waited 2 weeks to respond to me and i contact them 2 weeks ago when they had told me they would be sending out the replacement the next day, then they said they didn't even remember getting my old oil pickup and now today they are saying it is used and are not sure if they will replace it.

maybe i will tell them i am willing to pay like $10-15 more to have the correct one sent out, but it definitely isn't worth $50 to me, that would be bs in my opinion.

i am just asking to get your opinions on any other options i might be able to bring up to them.

it just sucks when you are first learning about things and then you get a wrong part but of course the shop and I didn't know it was wrong, so they just used it anyways.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

so i called milodon back today, just got off the phone with them. only reason i am not being so patient right now is i am at the 3 week mark of them receiving the oil pickup.

Tom was being pretty chill and told me they had found one that is going out today, so hopefully that is the case. i will update this when i get it. that is pretty much the only part i am waiting on besides me having to get a clutch kit and some otvc wires.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:24 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You gave them wrong information when you told them they were matching stock oil pump parts. Suck it up and learn from the mistake; you now know more than I do about oil pump parts ordering.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmd
You gave them wrong information when you told them they were matching stock oil pump parts. Suck it up and learn from the mistake; you now know more than I do about oil pump parts ordering.
actually i didn't, so quit thread crapping. I told them i had an lt1 from a 1996 camaro that was being built to a 383 stroker and I needed an oil pan and oil pickup to go with it.

they told me "you need this pan and this pickup"

i said "great, here is my info and money"

that was it, i don't understand what your freaking problem is jack.

i did not give them misinformation since i didn't have any other information to give them, and they didn't ask for any other information.

why don't you go get a hobby or something and quit being an idiot.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

and btw, from the reading i have done and the oil pumps i have looked at, the stock replacement oil pump is 3/4" for the oil pickup, so they should have known better. do some research before you begin flaming for no reason, it makes you look like a moron.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

quick update, i got the new oil pickup, or at least the correct one now which was a customer return that was beat to crap, but it should still be functional. pretty fast shipping once everything was squared away.

i should hopefully get a chance to put it together this weekend or next week.

just need to degree my cam and start putting everything back together.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

l would have bought a new, correct pickup.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
l would have bought a new, correct pickup.
what is your reasoning behind that, if you don't mind me asking? just want to know so i do my rebuild right.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

It's a piece of pipe with a screen on it. Being used won't be any harm. Just make sure it is clean. Don't forget to set the depth of it in the pan. Should be 1/4-3/8" from the bottom.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fergymoto
It's a piece of pipe with a screen on it. Being used won't be any harm. Just make sure it is clean. Don't forget to set the depth of it in the pan. Should be 1/4-3/8" from the bottom.
that is what i was thinking. and i was going to get it tack welded in place once i set the correct depth. heard i just need one point welded on opposite sides 180 degrees from each other.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Two tacks is plenty. I had a Milodon pan and pickup in the past and the pickup had a mount that bolted to one of the 4 oil pump case bolts. If yours has that there will be no need to tack it.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by zbomb5610
what is your reasoning behind that, if you don't mind me asking? just want to know so i do my rebuild right.
A used one could have a crack in the pipe (you said it was beat up). The interference fit will no longer be the same, either, since it is used. I guess, not a big deal if you are going to tack weld it. Though, I have never reused a screen and have never tack welded one and never had one move once it was in place. It's just my personal preference of never reusing a screen that has been off a pump.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

I prefer to tack them because I have had several new screens on motors I've built for people be a little looser than I was comfortable with.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
A used one could have a crack in the pipe (you said it was beat up). The interference fit will no longer be the same, either, since it is used. I guess, not a big deal if you are going to tack weld it. Though, I have never reused a screen and have never tack welded one and never had one move once it was in place. It's just my personal preference of never reusing a screen that has been off a pump.
i understand what you are saying, now i am wondering if i should use this one.

here is what i meant when i said "beat up". some spots near where the pickup goes have some pretty deep dings, do i have to worry about it ever breaking through? i don't think there are currently any cracks or anything. but it could be weaker in a few spots.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Perhaps you could rig a way to pressure test it and also inspect it real closely. It has a nick or two, but does not look too abused.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should Milodon replace my oil pickup with a new one??