LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opinion on EWP and valve cover gaskets???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Opinion on EWP and valve cover gaskets???

Well first off i am still in the process of port/polish heads and cam/ valve train. I just replaced my mechanical water pump about 4000 miles ago and i was wanting some opinions on if i should just go ahead and take the loss of money and go ahead an install an EWP since i already have the timing cover off. That way i could remove the mechanical drive shaft. If opinion ops towards EWP which brand is the best bang for the buck. I know there are different clearance issues and a difference in price but if they are of same quality it doesn't matter to me on the brand.

Next questions is that i went ahead and bought taller polished aluminum valve covers to clear the 1.6 nsa rr. I have already tried a test fit and the brand new rubber LT1 valve cover gaskets do not work. I can not get them to stay stretched to be able to install them and make them seal due to it not having the lip to hold it in place. So which ones have you guys went with? Will SBC rubber gaskets work?

Any help will be appreciated, and sorry for the long post.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by litch2004; 08-06-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have installed the CSR ewp on my buddy's car. Works great and quick couple snips of the fan shroud solves the clerance issues. He got it from SDPC for 170, best price anywhere that I saw. I made the wiring harness for him for about 20 bucks of parts from radio shack. If you have the money, might as well...

You need to find out if the alt will clear the taller valve covers. I would also find out if you even need taller valve covers...I have Comp NSA Pro Mags and they clear my stock covers. I did trim the supports, but that's easy and takes 10 mins with a grinder or a good pair of tin snips.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I have installed the CSR ewp on my buddy's car. Works great and quick couple snips of the fan shroud solves the clerance issues. He got it from SDPC for 170, best price anywhere that I saw. I made the wiring harness for him for about 20 bucks of parts from radio shack. If you have the money, might as well...

You need to find out if the alt will clear the taller valve covers. I would also find out if you even need taller valve covers...I have Comp NSA Pro Mags and they clear my stock covers. I did trim the supports, but that's easy and takes 10 mins with a grinder or a good pair of tin snips.
Well i modified the factory AC bracket so the alt is now down in the a/c compressors place. I also do know that they would have cleared with the clearance mod. I was originally going to do this when money what tight but then i found these for a damn good deal and went them. I still have to get a place for the cvc line to connect to and also use that same place to fill the oil. That way there is only one thing connected to the valve covers.
Is SDPC (stand for something or for shorter name?) a sponsor?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SDPC stands for Scoggin Dickey Parts Center.

IMO, go with the EWP. My CSI electric pump has no clearance issues whatsoever with the stock fans (just minor grinding of the pump housing). Also, most electric pumps use the same motor so longevity shouldn't be a problem from brand to brand - it's more in the impeller design. My CSI keeps my car plenty cool and looks cool with the red anodized plate.

What valve covers did you buy, Cantons? In order to get the gaskets to stick, just use some RTV to temporarily hold them in place.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there a website for SDPC or are they a sponsor?

actually the ones i bought are the summit style sbc centerbolts. here's a shitty camera pic of them.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

main thing is that i dont want to get it all together and then regret not installing an EWP due having just bought a new mechanical one not to long ago.

Also how do you remove the mechanical drive out of the block?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
SDPC stands for Scoggin Dickey Parts Center.

IMO, go with the EWP. My CSI electric pump has no clearance issues whatsoever with the stock fans (just minor grinding of the pump housing). Also, most electric pumps use the same motor so longevity shouldn't be a problem from brand to brand - it's more in the impeller design. My CSI keeps my car plenty cool and looks cool with the red anodized plate.

What valve covers did you buy, Cantons? In order to get the gaskets to stick, just use some RTV to temporarily hold them in place.
+1...good for more HP too
Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

also what is this inlet fitting that is required for?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by litch2004
main thing is that i dont want to get it all together and then regret not installing an EWP due having just bought a new mechanical one not to long ago.

Also how do you remove the mechanical drive out of the block?
SDPC is a sponsor, look to the right>>>

Might as well get the EWP.
You remove the two torx bolts that hold the gear drive to the block and you knock it out from inside the block with a hammer.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

o ok simple enough. But what about the inlet tube that says is required. What is the purpose of this piece it is telling me to also buy?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

o ok simple enough. But what about the inlet tube that says is required. What is the purpose of this piece it is telling me to also buy?
Don't know what inlet tube you are talking about.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

CSR has patented their NuWave Billet Aluminum Water Pump, which includes a carbon-ceramic sealing system and introduces a high efficiency impeller too. A setscrew can become loose over time and cause the impeller to no work properly which is why CSI no longer uses setscrews. They allow coolant to seep through and cause damage to the electric motor.
An Inlet fitting is also required – available for rubber hoses. Go to Inlet Fittings
Old 08-06-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

CSR has patented their NuWave Billet Aluminum Water Pump, which includes a carbon-ceramic sealing system and introduces a high efficiency impeller too. A setscrew can become loose over time and cause the impeller to no work properly which is why CSI no longer uses setscrews. They allow coolant to seep through and cause damage to the electric motor.
An Inlet fitting is also required – available for rubber hoses. Go to Inlet Fittings
Just buy the CSR kit from SDPC, it comes with the pump and freeze plug needed for the back of the housing.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

the ones they advertise right under it are all different sizes but one end is 3/4" and the other ends look like a rubber hose connects to it and water flows to it???
Old 08-06-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is the website were i got this information from.
http://www.sdparts.com/catalog/cooli...Chevrolet.aspx
Old 08-06-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

that is the website were i got this information from.
http://www.sdparts.com/catalog/cooli...Chevrolet.aspx
Get the CSR901LT1. No hose thing needed.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

just noticed this place is located a few towns over. Also i just called them and they said they dont even know if they can get this one anymore and they no longer have any information about this particular EWP.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

just noticed this place is located a few towns over. Also i just called them and they said they dont even know if they can get this one anymore and they no longer have any information about this particular EWP.
What, I bought one for my buddy from them about 2 weeks ago.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

probably just someone that doesnt know cars and is just there to have a job. But i went ahead and called csi performance and they said that that inlet piece is to connect to the radiator hose. But that is when it is for a different application is what i take from it since so water goes to the actual motor itself.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

probably just someone that doesnt know cars and is just there to have a job. But i went ahead and called csi performance and they said that that inlet piece is to connect to the radiator hose. But that is when it is for a different application is what i take from it since so water goes to the actual motor itself.
You don't need an inlet hose. Just need the pump and the freeze plug.

Quick Reply: Opinion on EWP and valve cover gaskets???