LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Kooks headers and lowered cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 04:22 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Kooks headers and lowered cars

Anyone have issues with clearance on slammed cars? Eiibach sport line height or lower? I've searched for pics but haven't seen any. Had FLP headers that were tucked well under my car but now looking at these Kooks I have seems it may be an issue with y pipe but can't say until I drop the engine in.

if any of you has a side profile shot of your car I'd appreciate it!
Old 12-12-2017, 04:31 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not familiar with Eibach springs, but this thread might help a bit.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...de-height.html
Old 12-12-2017, 08:32 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Bill.

I should've been more specific. I'm on coilovers so that's not the issue I was just wondering for guys that happen to have Kooks and a low ride height how they fared out specifically speaking the ypipe clearance issues. I'm not necessarily going to change my ride height. After I get things in I may just build an all new y pipe or modify their newer model as I've got both y pipes in my possession.

Thanks for the link!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

For my Kooks setup(catted y-pipe), sitting in my garage, the lowest point is the cat on the drivers side(3.5"). The bottom of the driver's long tube is 4". The passenger's is 4.5" on both the cat and bottom of the header. For reference, the k-member is 5".

I've got some pics and vids here....
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/exh...review-865570/
Old 12-13-2017, 02:27 AM

I have Kooks with the Sam Strano springs, they're fine. Lowest point on the car is actually the UMI torque arm chassis mount/D.S loop.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Kooks and their catted y-pipe with BMR springs. I've hit the driver side cat and scraped where its pipe hangs down before crossing over. You have to be careful on steep approaches that have a "hump" on them and speed bumps, but that goes without saying on a lowered car.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:22 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ACE1252
For my Kooks setup(catted y-pipe), sitting in my garage, the lowest point is the cat on the drivers side(3.5"). The bottom of the driver's long tube is 4". The passenger's is 4.5" on both the cat and bottom of the header. For reference, the k-member is 5".

I've got some pics and vids here....
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/exh...review-865570/
ACE1252 thanks! I actually seen your thread over there as I searched on there as well. Funny you post as I ordered that wrench last month because of your thread. I'm catless so I may get a little more clearance. MY FLP's tucked nice at the y and the low spot being on the driver side of course but I never had to worry about hitting things as long as to negotiated at an angle. I'm sure it'll be the same for these. My KBDD subframes may be an issue though but I'll tackle that when I get to that point.

How's you Jet Hot coating holding up? Been thinking of doing it but not sure yet. These I bought used were uncoated. Thanks.

Last edited by SRZ; 12-13-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Jet hot coating is doing just fine. However, keep in mind this is more of a fair weather/weekend car now. It has not seen daily driver duty since 2005 and I've had it since '99.

My driver's side cat(Kook's catted y-pipe) on the Z28 has failed. It's keeping the O2 monitors from going ready, but has not set any kind of efficiency code like my truck(135K miles) just has....going to be around $1400 to get the cats for the truck....that's with me doing the work. Ouch.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:43 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ACE1252
Jet hot coating is doing just fine. However, keep in mind this is more of a fair weather/weekend car now. It has not seen daily driver duty since 2005 and I've had it since '99.

My driver's side cat(Kook's catted y-pipe) on the Z28 has failed. It's keeping the O2 monitors from going ready, but has not set any kind of efficiency code like my truck(135K miles) just has....going to be around $1400 to get the cats for the truck....that's with me doing the work. Ouch.
Thx, mines not a daily either. Let alone a weekend car! Lol Have had it 21 yrs now and been on jack stands 18 yrs cumulative. I break it a lot. Dan that's a lot of coin for the cat converters.

Quick Reply: Kooks headers and lowered cars