LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How much is my engine worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 217 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
If I can go 10.50's with this JUNK as MERV says, I should have no problem running in the 9's all motor with a 408 Ls based engine. Ya reckon?
When did I say junk.. if I did I don't remember.. I called it a heap, pile..probably some others. I call mine a pile all the time..
Old 09-02-2009, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drift_king2007
The LT1 is on all motor....... no spray....
My point was to show how easy it is to get an LS1 into the 10's at 125-128mph, that's all. You know, since folks with mid 10 @ 125mph cars are so-called "making LS1's squirm" LOL!

Any swinging dick can put a pile of spray on a car and go quick. Doin it normally aspirated in a car you can ACTUALLY street drive is a whole different world, I can promise you that.
Meh, what is a street car nowadays? Something you can, well, drive on the street? LOL. Everyone seems to have their own definition of a "street car". I tend to take that term with a grain of salt.

How many 408 LS cars do you see in the 10's? Not many, even fewer streetcars.
There are stock bottom N/A 346 LS1's in the 9's my friend. And since we're "comparing", how many N/A 350 LT1's are in the single digits?

Cam only GUTTED 3000lb LS1 RACE CARS are in the tens. Get up on the interstate with that pile of racecar for an hour at 75 mph and see what happens. Aint nuthin streetcar about any of those cars.
cam only! duh cam only would be 10's in a LSx! Oh and bolt-ons doesn't include cam...... I was just stating that the OP is on all motor no spray and this demon guy bolted in and demanded that Lsx's run 10's all day with SPRAY........
Let me clarify....I said 10's BOLT-ON ONLY!! Stock Cam, heads, intake, block. Yes LS1's have did this on more than one occasion. 10.60 @ 122 being the record holder. Yes these cars were stripped, gutted, with a huge stall and gears shorter than a midget, but still....that's one heck of a feat. Just more proof that the LS1 actually was built by the hands of God. LS1

Last edited by Demon 383; 09-02-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Demon 383
My point was to show how easy it is to get an LS1 into the 10's at 125-128mph, that's all. You know, since folks with mid 10 @ 125mph cars are so-called "making LS1's squirm" LOL!

Meh, what is a street car nowadays? Something you can, well, drive on the street? LOL. Everyone seems to have their own definition of a "street car". I tend to take that term with a grain of salt.

There are stock bottom N/A 346 LS1's in the 9's my friend. And since we're "comparing", how many N/A 350 LT1's are in the single digits?

Let me clarify....I said 10's BOLT-ON ONLY!! Stock Cam, heads, intake, block. Yes LS1's have did this on more than one occasion. 10.60 @ 122 being the record holder. Yes these cars were stripped, gutted, with a huge stall and gears shorter than a midget, but still....that's one heck of a feat. Just more proof that the LS1 actually was built by the hands of God.
Silly arguments. Have you ever actually drag raced anything?

At the mild power levels you are talking about it is 99% how you setup the car and its suspension. The engine you are using has surprisingly little to do with your ET with the type of car you are describing. Given your parameters an LTX can easily be in the same category, and just a tenth or few shorter. SE cars have been running insane times NA with stock cubes since the 90's - LSX's are not doing anything worth touching yourself over. I don't know how LTXs got slower over time instead of faster, but it's sad to think the the bar is now set in 12's and people are impressed now by big cammed strokers that run high 11's.

There will always be something and someone faster, so arguing about the starting point is pretty useless...stock is slow either way! Someone's H/C LSX Camaro may be the **** on the street until they roll up against a well modded 03/04 Cobra...who then rolls up on a procharged C6...who then rolls up on a modded crotch rocket - you get the idea.

We need less and more .
Old 09-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Puck
At the mild power levels you are talking about it is 99% how you setup the car and its suspension. The engine you are using has surprisingly little to do with your ET with the type of car you are describing.
So if I drop a full bolt-on Honda 2.2 inside that same car you mean to tell me
i'll go mid 10's in the quarter? lol. Motor has a lot to do with it. Even with that type of setup it still takes POWER to get there!

Given your parameters an LTX can easily be in the same category, and just a tenth or few shorter.
What parameters? Are you referring to the bolt-on only 10-second cars Demon spoke of? I think an LT1 would be a bit more than a few tenths off that mark.

SE cars have been running insane times NA with stock cubes since the 90's - LSX's are not doing anything worth touching yourself over.
Bottom line is this. LS1's run QUICKER/FASTER QUARTER-MILE TIMES - PERIOD. There is no arguing that. Rather your comparing Bolt-on vs. Bolt-on, Stock bottom H/C vs Stock bottom H/C, Stroker vs. Stroker...doesn't matter, equally built the LSX will be FASTER everytime out! You look at every single record catagory for both LSX & LTX and there you have it. There is no denying that no matter how unspecial of an engine the LSX is.

I don't know about you guys but i'm just waiting to see one of you LTX die-hards break the 7-second barrier. I think it's amazing Big Rick set that record years ago and the so-called LT1 guru's have just left it there.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Demon 383
Let me clarify....I said 10's BOLT-ON ONLY!! Stock Cam, heads, intake, block. Yes LS1's have did this on more than one occasion. 10.60 @ 122 being the record holder. Yes these cars were stripped, gutted, with a huge stall and gears shorter than a midget, but still....that's one heck of a feat. Just more proof that the LS1 actually was built by the hands of God. LS1
No one said anything about spary until you showed up!
It wasnt you that said "cam" and bolt-ons so just like the rest of you bashing dumbasses... there is no need for that here!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

It wasnt you that said "cam" and bolt-ons so just like the rest of you bashing dumbasses... there is no need for that here!
Relax bro we are all just discussing..

It was me that said "Cam only".

Here you can see the H/C only record holder..

Attached Thumbnails How much is my engine worth?-tx.jpg  
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Teching In

^^ That's Bad Azz right there! I had a friend with a '99 FRC vette that was making right over 500 wheel on the stock bottom. Thing moved out.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

Them TX Speed guys have the Cam-only record holder too I believe..them guys got ther **** lined out good.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup that texas speed car is a streetcar LMAO.

It always ends up an apples to oranges comparison. You LSx guys get your painties in a wad when a quick LTx car pops up....why is that?

The fact remains I have been outrun by ONE(1) LSx ALL MOTOR streetcar. It had a 408 in it, was lighter, had a turbo 350 and a 12 bolt. Got me by a fender 1/4 mile. That to me really is sad. If my 220lb passenger was out of the car I would have been right with him.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

to but in here, i think its pretty gay how you guys are using the "X" in LTX now after LSX cars starting with the "X" because theres SOOOOOOOO many different LS style motors. LT cars have what.... 3? lt1, 4, 5? It will always be a lt1 motor, just say lt1 not LTX please??? Thanks! No off to work i go to keep building my LSX. lol.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its just funny how it is an SBC, yet it is supposed to run so much slower. The big difference is in the heads. Everyone stays with ported stockers, stock intakes, and low rpms on LTXs(fine for a street car, not for a strip only car), when smallblocks NEED better heads and rpms to make power. Of course the engine with 290cfm heads and 7500 rpm is going to outperform a 260cfm headed car spinning to 6500 . That is not because of these drastic mystery engine differences, but because of the mods. I can promise you those bolt-on LSXs aren't spinning to just ~6955 rpms like the factory LTX computer limits you to!

It's an SBC that can run more compression, how is it somehow much slower then every other smallblock now???

Honestly a lot of the LSX guys arguing so adamantly are ones that had modded LTX cars that ran 12's, got frustrated, and swapped to a much more forgiving platform. Of course its a better engine, but not by the leaps and miles you guys make it out to be. The difference is really just the heads...throw aftermarket engine management to let it spin and some nice aftermarket heads like AFR or TFS to let it breathe and watch the performance gap shrink a LOT.

Shame this thread ended up in the trash like 50% of the tech threads do.

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
to but in here, i think its pretty gay how you guys are using the "X" in LTX now after LSX cars starting with the "X" because theres SOOOOOOOO many different LS style motors. LT cars have what.... 3? lt1, 4, 5? It will always be a lt1 motor, just say lt1 not LTX please??? Thanks! No off to work i go to keep building my LSX. lol.
The "X" has always been used to separate it from the over-hyped LT4 stuff.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Veteran

PUCK its ALL about the heads, crank rods and pistons are crank rods and pistons. Lets compare 383 inches with 23* heads to 383 inches with 15* heads. How many 383 LS based STREETCARS run what mine runs?? EVEN with the bad *** heads at 3600lbs?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
Old 09-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the_merv
Relax bro we are all just discussing..

It was me that said "Cam only".

Here you can see the H/C only record holder..

I know it was you that said cam only... demon just needs to

Don't get me wrong props to that fast *** LS! I just hate seeing the LSx worshipers come in here and down on an LTx platform, and the built from the hands of god ****, makes you look dummer than a box of rocks when you say that...
Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

It always ends up an apples to oranges comparison. You LSx guys get your painties in a wad when a quick LTx car pops up....why is that?
I have no problem with a fast car..LT or LS..

I have a problem when people with fat heads get their panties in a wad and have to rag all over and cause a bunch of ****. I was thinking about this last night, now is a good time to post it I guess.

Let me show you Dave..

Everything was kosher in the beginning till this part..

With that monster *** cam in that thing I hardly see that thing being very streetable..JMO..
Here is me stating an opinion..just a mere opinion, straight face to show a neutral emotion.
Very true.. "Streetable"..as in once a week, then back to the Garage to adjust the Valvetrain..
Here is me joking about the Solid Roller setup.. I've known for a long time that you don't have to adjust them everytime..my dad had many BBC SR cars. It was a little bit of sarcasm..hence the ""

Now here was your very first response to me Dave..keep in mind everything was cool in the beginning and we were all BS'n back and forth..

Why not Merv? You got a 15* headed 408 and are much slower than I am....I drive this car all over the place.
Honestly..was that necessary?

Hell even with alot of your posts still you are a cocky ******* and we are all cool, maybe that is the way you are.

We are all here discussing everything..LT..LS, and you are backing up your LT1 car in just about every response to every post that we all make. We get it, you have mid 10-sec car that can whoop every LS1 car out there cause it runs 10.5's..

Basically your cockyness is pointless and hearing about your car is getting old, with it and enjoy the current conversation at the moment with us discussing other cars..

/End rant :pantiesunwadded:
Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

I know it was you that said cam only... demon just needs to

Don't get me wrong props to that fast *** LS! I just hate seeing the LSx worshipers come in here and down on an LTx platform, and the built from the hands of god ****, makes you look dummer than a box of rocks when you say that...
I've never said that crap..it kinda irrates me too.

I'm not downing the LT1 platform at all, I just think that one individual needs to lighten up a little bit and pull his nose out of the clouds.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

All these water cooled V8s are junk anyway. We all know that the only true fast motor is the VTEC, maybe the Porsche air cooled motors of the 80'sback. Everything else just sucks. Reason cannot persuade me otherwise. Comments will go unread and I will persistently just keep going and going with whatever my belief on the position is regardless of logic or solid arguments to the contrary. I will also NOT agree to disagree...EVER!

~Jesus the Christ
Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

I have no problem with a fast car..LT or LS..

I have a problem when people with fat heads get their panties in a wad and have to rag all over and cause a bunch of ****. I was thinking about this last night, now is a good time to post it I guess.

Let me show you Dave..

Everything was kosher in the beginning till this part..

Here is me stating an opinion..just a mere opinion, straight face to show a neutral emotion.

Here is me joking about the Solid Roller setup.. I've known for a long time that you don't have to adjust them everytime..my dad had many BBC SR cars. It was a little bit of sarcasm..hence the ""

Now here was your very first response to me Dave..keep in mind everything was cool in the beginning and we were all BS'n back and forth..

Honestly..was that necessary?

Hell even with alot of your posts still you are a cocky ******* and we are all cool, maybe that is the way you are.

We are all here discussing everything..LT..LS, and you are backing up your LT1 car in just about every response to every post that we all make. We get it, you have mid 10-sec car that can whoop every LS1 car out there cause it runs 10.5's..

Basically your cockyness is pointless and hearing about your car is getting old, with it and enjoy the current conversation at the moment with us discussing other cars..

/End rant :pantiesunwadded:
Well lets get it straight MERV, you made a statemnt about my cars cam and its streetability, both of which you obviously have NO knowledge about.

Me and a few others called you on it, then YOU got pissy and started back peddling. SO make it fair Merv.

Dont mistake my knowledge for Cockyness, I am a little older and been a little further around this block than you might think.

When a quick LT1 comes about all the LS guys bring out there RACE car cannons and beat their chests. Nothing new here.

Dont get whiny and go bitching because you swapped platforms and cant get into the tens, hell MERV there are bolt on cars doing it LMAO

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 09-03-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Well lets get it straight MERV, you made a statemnt about my cars cam and its streetability, both of which you obviously have NO knowledge about.

Me and a few others called you on it, then YOU got pissy and started back peddling. SO make it fair Merv.

I'll agree to disagree..
Old 09-03-2009, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

It's worth $100, I'll bring cash.

But seriously, projects like that (much like engagement rings) are rarely worth the sum of their parts to prospective buyers
even if it would save them thousands on their own project. It takes a very good discount
to motivate a buyer to accept the risk. Worse, finding a buyer at the right time, who is both interested in
that specific setup and can pay for it isn't easy. Don't forget that Murphy is always at play when it
comes to used parts (ask me how I know).

Fortunately, you have a good reputation on the board and the history of the motor isn't a complete mystery.
I think you could get 5-5.5k out of it if you have time to wait for the right buyer.
Less if you're in a hurry.

You might actually have better luck parting it out.
A shortblock is easier to sell than a longblock, as are heads/cam combos and most of the smaller components.

Quick Reply: How much is my engine worth?