LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

7/16" rockers with stock valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:43 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 7/16" rockers with stock valve covers?

Thinking about upgrading to from my 3/8" stud rockers arms to 7/16". Does anyone know if they will fit under stock valve covers? Naturally I mean with doing the roller rocker mod to the supports underneath.

Already tried to go with taller ones (Canton) and they would simply not seal after multiple attempts so they are just sitting back in the box.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yes they should be fine. The only trouble you may run into is if you get rockers with extra long adjusting nuts which will contact the top of the valve cover.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like SS RRR said you should be alright unless you have some unusually tall poly locks. I ran Trick Flow 7/16 stud 1.6 RRs (identical to Crane gold) under my stock valve covers.

I hear a lot of stories about sealing problems with the Canton valve covers. That's a shame, they are nice looking covers.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks guys.

Yeah, can't seem to get the Canton's to seal on my AFR heads... either pair. My engine builder even planed them to make sure they were absolutely flat and modified the tabs on them... this is after they had been tried on my previous motor and didn't seal on it. They still don't seal despite his mods.

They are a faulty design in two aspects: there are no supports up top to span the clamping force from the center bolts to the outside walls and the bolt guides do not extend all the way down to the head. Very hard to exert any clamping force to the edges.

The couple guys who I have heard of that got them to seal are using them on stock OEM castings. I don't know what difference that would make, but those are the only guys that got them to seal.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS
Thanks guys.

Yeah, can't seem to get the Canton's to seal on my AFR heads... either pair. My engine builder even planed them to make sure they were absolutely flat and modified the tabs on them... this is after they had been tried on my previous motor and didn't seal on it. They still don't seal despite his mods.

They are a faulty design in two aspects: there are no supports up top to span the clamping force from the center bolts to the outside walls and the bolt guides do not extend all the way down to the head. Very hard to exert any clamping force to the edges.

The couple guys who I have heard of that got them to seal are using them on stock OEM castings. I don't know what difference that would make, but those are the only guys that got them to seal.
I am running the Canton's on my DART heads without any issues. I will agree on your statement about no brackets. They should have put some kind of support up there because with too much clamping force, it starts to suck the top bolt part of the cover down towards the heads, almost like it's sinking in the center lol.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Have you talked to Canton to see if they will do anything for you? You got some expensive and useless sheet metal on the shelf.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fergymoto
I ran Trick Flow 7/16 stud 1.6 RRs (identical to Crane gold) under my stock valve covers.

Got a part #? I need to get some rr's for my tfs heads so I can get my **** together already!
Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Summit part number TFS-31400521
Old 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

I ran comp cams pro-mags w/ 7/16 studs when I had stock valve covers, they fit fine with the normal VC mods.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

I also run 7/16 promags and didnt have any probs with the modded factory VCs.
As for the cantons have you tried using some kind of gasket maker ie.... right stuff or similar to attatch the gaskets to the VCs then putting them on? That should keep the gaskets in place and give you a little better seal.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:25 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be good to go.

AChotrod, yeah, I permatexed the gaskets to the valve covers with clamps to hold them exactly in position until the permatex dried, then installed. No dice. Used the good ribbed Fel Pro blue gaskets.

I currently have the 3/8 Comp Pro Mag 1.6's, BTW.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

DAMN , i just ordered Canton VCs couple of days ago
Old 09-08-2009, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TWS
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be good to go.

AChotrod, yeah, I permatexed the gaskets to the valve covers with clamps to hold them exactly in position until the permatex dried, then installed. No dice. Used the good ribbed Fel Pro blue gaskets.

I currently have the 3/8 Comp Pro Mag 1.6's, BTW.
Damn that was my best guess.
What would you want for the cantons? My heads are ported stocker and it might work.
If your looking for new rockers upgrade to the Comp high tech SS rockers. Basically the same as promags but stronger.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chalk up another one who didn't like their Canton's. I couldn't get them to seal either, not to mention the bolts that come with them are crap and strip out. I've since gotten rid of them and went with the eBay polished aluminum covers. They're beefy, well engineered, offer plenty of clearance, and look good too.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

yeah I got nice covers but like that fabbed look. I think I might try an addapter and run some bad *** pontiac SBC covers.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by monster81
DAMN , i just ordered Canton VCs couple of days ago

They might be fine. If you a) have stock heads or b) use some kind of spacer/washer to give you more clamping force (since aftermarket heads have shallower centerbolt holes).
Old 09-09-2009, 08:12 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Damn that was my best guess.
What would you want for the cantons? My heads are ported stocker and it might work.
If your looking for new rockers upgrade to the Comp high tech SS rockers. Basically the same as promags but stronger.

Sending you a PM on the Cantons.

Who has the best price on the Comp high techs?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Chalk up another one who didn't like their Canton's. I couldn't get them to seal either, not to mention the bolts that come with them are crap and strip out. I've since gotten rid of them and went with the eBay polished aluminum covers. They're beefy, well engineered, offer plenty of clearance, and look good too.
Can't remember if I've asked you this before, but how do you keep those valve covers shiny? I have a pair of LPE billet aluminum ones that are in desperate need of polishing. Seems as though when I had them on my engine they oxidized in about 3 minutes. I reckon whatever was I used then didn't do the trick. I am beginning to detest the LT4 VC's I have on my **** now. They leak like a sieve.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

The composite covers on my old vette wouldnt seal for **** either!!! As for the covers on my car took about 3hrs to get them how they look now. Mothers power ball, then had to go over them multiple times with mothers billet polish by hand and cleaned off any extra residue with acetone. Worked pretty good but very time consumming. ! Oh & clean them again anytime you touch them
TWS, I got the PM and replied!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod

I just looked at them. Do you (or anyone) know if they clear 1.55 OD valvesprings. I can call Comp and ask... but maybe you would know off the top of your head.

In your opinion are they worth the extra $$ over the chromemoly pro mags?

Quick Reply: 7/16" rockers with stock valve covers?