LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bought the Ebay stainless pacesetter knock-offs

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought the Ebay stainless pacesetter knock-offs

After waiting 6 months for the LPP headers and finding out they will be delayed again, I couldn't wait any longer - so I got a set of the ebay stainless pacesetter knock-offs that there have been many threads about.

Hope to get them in a couple days, and am picking up all the accessories necessary to swap out my mid-length headers (I'm also going to throw a set of OTVC wires on while I'm at it). I'm figuring on band clamps, o2 extensions, and fel-pro 1406 gaskets.

Should I consider using the copper gasket spray on the gaskets?
What about using exhaust paste on the header-to-ORY and ORY-to-I pipe joints?

I have had some annoying leaks with my current AS&M mid-length headers, and want to ensure that doesn't happen with these.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the flanges for straightness after getting them in your hands. If all checks out, then just stay on top of tightening the bolts until the gasket compresses. I personally dont think you need the spray for the gaskets.

I know what you mean about annoying exhaust leaks. I always had a passenger side SLP shorty header that leaked. It utilized stock exhaust, and just seemed to apply the wrong pressure on header from underneath. Over time the bolts would loosen no matter how compressed the gasket got.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put it together, start it up, check for leaks. make changes/repairs where necessary.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Id have to agree. Just put it together and check it out.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to see some pics wen you get these
Old 10-31-2009, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by toy96ta

I have had some annoying leaks with my current AS&M mid-length headers, and want to ensure that doesn't happen with these.
That's funny. I too have some leaks in my AS&M headers along with some rust. I plan on getting some long tubes this winter. Was hopping the LPP's would be out soon. Sent an email to them earlier this week with no reply. Let us know how the Ebay headers turn out.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club

they sure dont fit worth a damn
Old 10-31-2009, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Apparently there are two different styles of ebay headers. One is the pacesetter design (what I bought) and the LPP/Kooks design. From what I've read the LPP style are the ones that don't fit well.

I guess I'll find out when they get here! I'm seriously thinking about motor mounts while I've got the headers out - I figure some poly mounts should preempt any fitment issues from sagging mounts.

So how straight do the flanges need to be to ensure no leaks? Am I going to have to take them to a local machine shop, or is a straight-edge eyeballing good enough?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Just eye ball them they should be fine. Definately get the poly mounts done while your in there, helps alot. My car only had 24,000 miles on them and they were worn out for sure. Stiffens things up alot. Dont use the spary on gasket crap just get a nice copper or aluminum gasket from percys or mr gasket.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by toy96ta
Apparently there are two different styles of ebay headers. One is the pacesetter design (what I bought) and the LPP/Kooks design. From what I've read the LPP style are the ones that don't fit well.

I guess I'll find out when they get here! I'm seriously thinking about motor mounts while I've got the headers out - I figure some poly mounts should preempt any fitment issues from sagging mounts.

So how straight do the flanges need to be to ensure no leaks? Am I going to have to take them to a local machine shop, or is a straight-edge eyeballing good enough?
I took a large carpenter square to the flanges to check for straightness when I got my pacesetters.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

I was looking at these to, Let us know what you think when you get um!!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

So I have the following items on the way:

Headers & ORY
Fel-pro 1406 gaskets
Band clamps
O2 extensions
Poly motor mounts

I am also installing OTVC wires when it all goes back together.

I think I am all set, anyone see anything I'm missing?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Headers arrived today!
They look pretty good no spiked merge collector but hey, I got them for $350 shipped so I think that's pretty good.
The only thing that makes me scratch my head is that these are race headers with out AIR fittings, but the EGR is still there. Seemed kind of odd.

I'm hoping to get some free time in a couple weeks to get everything all together and finally have my H/C/I project 100% done! (Minus a needed dyno-tune...)
Old 11-05-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

Mine are the same way, no AIR fittings. Time to do some deleting!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Any pics yet? I want to get these headers also. Thier ads seem a little funny, says NO EGR HOOK UPS but yours has EGR but no AIR? All the pics they post are of the emissions version.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Here's a pic of the ones i just got last week.
Attached Thumbnails Bought the Ebay stainless pacesetter knock-offs-dsc_0466.jpg  
Old 11-09-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

They look good.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

they do look nice but I am more curious about fitment and how close they are to the pacesetters. If they fit anywhere near as well as the pacesetters I will buy a pair without hesitation.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Look out he has a hammer out! Did you beat on 'em? Just kidding, they look good. Is that an EGR hook up in the pic by the edge of the rug? I figure if they have the EGR hook up I'll just get it cut off and welded up. There is another thread with these headers and they said they fit great.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

UPDATE: Headers are in and don't hit anything all clearances are GOOD! Couple of small things that kicked my ***, D.S. headers mounting bolt holes needed to be opened up a little for 2 of the bolts to go through, If you get these make sure you check that the bolts go through! The holes were a little too close to the header tubes and wouldn't allow me to put the bolts in, I hit them with a drill bit and then everything lined up fine after that. Also for the D.S. I had to remove the oil filter. For the P.S. I have a mini starter so I didn't have to remove it, I did however had to take off the heat shield that bolts to the bottom of the floor pan, then the header slipped right in. These headers don't come with O2 extensions so that's what I'm working on next.

Quick Reply: Bought the Ebay stainless pacesetter knock-offs