LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 stock heads decent size cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 383 stock heads decent size cam

I cam across a local forged 383 short block for a good price. My question is can I run it with stock lt1 heads with the cam that's in it and it be daily drivable. Would it make decent power till I can get the heads ported?

Cam specs are
New Comp Cam 230/236 @.050 .576 .571 lift w/ 1.6 rockers

Maybe its a silly question but I always heard people saying stuff about heads not providing enough for a 383. Its just till I can get LE to port em but I still gotta get trans built and a moser 9inch. And this is my daily driver so need dependable and decent driveability.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

It will work but a 350 will make the same power on that setup. I would look into some le3's or ported trickflows for that 383. The cam looks decent, I ran a custom 230/236 in my 383. It had pretty good street manners and boat loads of tq!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruzer23
I cam across a local forged 383 short block for a good price. My question is can I run it with stock lt1 heads with the cam that's in it and it be daily drivable. Would it make decent power till I can get the heads ported?

Cam specs are
New Comp Cam 230/236 @.050 .576 .571 lift w/ 1.6 rockers

Maybe its a silly question but I always heard people saying stuff about heads not providing enough for a 383. Its just till I can get LE to port em but I still gotta get trans built and a moser 9inch. And this is my daily driver so need dependable and decent driveability.

Thanks
In an A4 I would be more worried about the stall in your situation.

That combo won't make the best power, but it will be streetable as long as you have a good stall.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Launching!

The next thing after putting that in would be get my 4l60e rebuilt with a good stall prob 3600. What will happen with the setup with stock stall?

If I get it, it doesn't have to go in. I could hang on to it till I get the stall and rear end and ported heads. Just wondered if I could use it till I get the rest of the car fixed.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes you could run that bottom end with untouched heads and and that cam and it be fine for a DD. Once you save up for heads that's where the real power will come from.

About the converter...your car will drive poorly without a larger stall converter when running a cam such as that. It will pull on the brakes at lights, may buck a bit, and you will lose brake vacumn. Not at all ideal for a DD, did it before because I was not educated enough about stalls and cams but driving the car was a real PITA.

If it were me I would buy a stall and a cam and see how you like it with the stock bottom end. Maybe toss some heads on there when money allows and have yourself a nice 11 second car. When that gets boring move onto the big cubes, just IMO.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

I am running stock unported heads with a bigger cam than that. Drives fine, stock torque converter also.

In short, I am driving exactly what you are buying lol. Ill even throw in some track times just to add to the info.

12.21 @ 114 (I hit 115mph once that night, but not that run)
Old 11-02-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stock valve springs? isn't coil bind .480"?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

which would you go for with a 383 with a 6- rod strocker Wiseco Forged Pistons or je forged pistons i think dont get me wrong the je's are more for spraying right? sorry for going off topic
Old 11-02-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
stock valve springs? isn't coil bind .480"?
His is not on stock springs(if it is than it wont be for long lol) and neither is mine.

Originally Posted by old93camaro
which would you go for with a 383 with a 6- rod strocker Wiseco Forged Pistons or je forged pistons i think dont get me wrong the je's are more for spraying right? sorry for going off topic
Both companies make pistons that are built for spraying. Wieseco's would be fine, JE's are just more for assurance/top of the food chain quality. If you do not plan on spraying thats even more of a reason not to buy the top brand of pistons (JE/ROSS).
Old 11-02-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

thanks bombebomb
Old 11-02-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bombebomb
His is not on stock springs(if it is than it wont be for long lol) and neither is mine.
ok cause he said stock heads so i just assumed. if not, yeah.......
Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Launching!

I could get the parts to support the heads for no problems, it is my DD I'm not gonna risk anything.

Is the stall gonna be that big a deal? After I got this setup in, I will save for a performabuilt trans with a 3200-3600 stall. The forged 383 with the decent size cam is 1700. I thought good deal has scat forged and forged srp pistons.

Maybe I should just wait and get forged 355 built. Can get forged scat setup for 1300 plus machine work and assembly. 200 for LE cam
Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

What do you mean by "that big of a deal"?

If you mean will it make it slower on the track, than yes it will.

If you are asking if it will make it undrivable, than no I drive mine around all the time with stock stall.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Ya I meant would it be drivable till I got my transmission built and a bigger stall in it.

Someone acted like it wouldn't drive right especially for a DD
Old 11-03-2009, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruzer23
Ya I meant would it be drivable till I got my transmission built and a bigger stall in it.

Someone acted like it wouldn't drive right especially for a DD
Mine was drivable and I drove it all over but it sure as hell wasn't DD worthy or comfortable. Nothing like having shitty brakes and having to put the car in neutral at every light so it would stop pulling on the brakes. Go for it, it may work out for you or may drive like complete **** like mine did. Then you will be banging your head against the wall because it's your daily. Been there done that. Do some searching, camming a car before installing stall is a poor mistake unless your talking a tiny cam which you aren't. If you wanna take the risk go for it but for every one person that said there car drove ok without a stall there are ten saying otherwise.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Mine was drivable and I drove it all over but it sure as hell wasn't DD worthy or comfortable. Nothing like having shitty brakes and having to put the car in neutral at every light so it would stop pulling on the brakes. Go for it, it may work out for you or may drive like complete **** like mine did. Then you will be banging your head against the wall because it's your daily. Been there done that. Do some searching, camming a car before installing stall is a poor mistake unless your talking a tiny cam which you aren't. If you wanna take the risk go for it but for every one person that said there car drove ok without a stall there are ten saying otherwise.
Hey I'm not saying your wrong at all man. That's why I'm here and asking cuz I don't know.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 03:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Personally I wouldn't cam it without throwing in a stall, but there are some that say that the added torque from a stroker will make your stock converter stall a little bit higher so you could get away with a 383 with a baby cam and a stock stall but that cam you have is a pretty good size and may require a little bit of stall even with the stroker just my .02
Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
Personally I wouldn't cam it without throwing in a stall, but there are some that say that the added torque from a stroker will make your stock converter stall a little bit higher so you could get away with a 383 with a baby cam and a stock stall but that cam you have is a pretty good size and may require a little bit of stall even with the stroker just my .02
While you may be able to stall it up higher, I noticed that my brakes can still not hold it back beyond 1500. I don't understand why some people have such trouble with cammed cars without stalls. Maybe I just got a good grind for street duty? :shrugs:

Quick Reply: 383 stock heads decent size cam