LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help with a coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a coolant leak

Okay, so the car got a new water pump housing, modified for the electric water pump to fit, sealed it, new gaskets, cleaned the block. We put thread sealer on each pump bolt, new bolts by the way, let the car set up 48 hrs. All the pump bolts were torqued to spec 30 ft pds according to haynes manuel. The leak before was coming from the passenger top bolt, then it started leaking from the driver top bolt, so after this install the same is happening again on the drivers side. We did not RTV which will be done this time. I'm not sure what else can be done at this point.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenfire
Okay, so the car got a new water pump housing, modified for the electric water pump to fit, sealed it, new gaskets, cleaned the block. We put thread sealer on each pump bolt, new bolts by the way, let the car set up 48 hrs. All the pump bolts were torqued to spec 30 ft pds according to haynes manuel. The leak before was coming from the passenger top bolt, then it started leaking from the driver top bolt, so after this install the same is happening again on the drivers side. We did not RTV which will be done this time. I'm not sure what else can be done at this point.
I have had plenty of luck installing the waterpump gaskets dry, so I'm not sure why you aren't (but you can use RTV). Only thing I can think of is there's a crack in your pump housing. This is possible depending on how you handled the pump once it was off.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We bought a new water pump housing...since we thought the old one had a crack somewhere. Gaskets are installed when everything is dry, and the RTV is something that we figured may help seal behind the pump. The coolant is coming through the drivers side water pump top bolt. I don't get it and neither do some of my friend who have a lot of experience with their own LT1's. Car has never leaked like this before the 383 build, and I've never had coolant issues like this before.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Could it be that the freeze plug on the back of the water pump (blocked from the EWP install) is leaking?
Old 11-03-2009, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

if its coming through the bolt hole you might have some jacked up threads in there you could rtv the bolts which you should do any way since If I remember correctly they go into the water jacket
Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Could it be that the freeze plug on the back of the water pump (blocked from the EWP install) is leaking?
Nope it is a new water pump with a new freeze plug.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camaroz28383
if its coming through the bolt hole you might have some jacked up threads in there you could rtv the bolts which you should do any way since If I remember correctly they go into the water jacket
We noticed when we pulled the bolts out and the thread sealant that we put on the threads was not on the threads when we pulled them out. Good idea on RTV on the bolts, and yes you are right they do go into the water jacket.

THANKS ALL! Anyone else has anymore ideas please post up. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Yeah I learned the lesson with RTV on the bolt threads myself a few weeks ago. do that and you should be good to go.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Use thread sealant, not RTV gasket maker, for sealing threads that protrude into water passages.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea use thread sealant. And if I remember right only one bolt actually makes it into the water jacket. I believe it is the bottom right that makes it into the jacket.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We are using thread sealant, just I believe we didn't put enough on the threads after pulling the bolts out lastnight.

Quick Reply: Help with a coolant leak