LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Security light on 1994-95-96 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Security light on 1994-95-96 Camaro

I've seen two Camaro's last week and they both had the security lights on.in the guage cluster. What would cause this and does it effect it's reliability. My 94 v6 with 180,000 miles never had that problem. thanks, John
Old 12-14-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

...info about the system...
Old 12-15-2009, 03:06 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 95 does this sometimes and it drives me absolutely insane. It has resulted in me running over, killing one of my cats, and being late to work more times than I can count.

EDIT: SHbox, I read that. Mine does it on startup and won't start most of the time. It has done it a maximum of four times in a row which is ungodly annoying. Sometimes though when I am driving it comes on too. I read.....

"If the system detects a fault with the lock cylinder circuit after the engine is already running, the SECURITY lamp will light. The engine will be able to be restarted. This is called “fault enable mode”. (The system saw a good reading from the key at one point during a previous ignition cycle before the failure. So, it considers it a problem and not someone trying to steal the car.) When in fault enable mode, PASSKey protection is disabled until the problem is repaired. Once repaired, the SECURITY lamp will go out about after about 1 minute after the key is turned on."

That helps figure out the basis of the issue.

I like the resistor option the best as I don't want to have any potential issues with this crap anymore.

Are these diagrams the same for all engine / trans options? I have a 95 V6 / A4 car and I've noticed some of the wiring is different in my 93 V8 / A4 car.
http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 12-15-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Teching In

My 93 has the same problem.... did it twice in a row today. seems to go in spurts where for a few days it wont start but will start every time for about a month.

web page was a great help.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

my old 94 had this issue also. when i got new keys the problem went away. it also helped to shake the keys a bunch when they are in the lock cylinder.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
My 95 does this sometimes and it drives me absolutely insane. It has resulted in me running over, killing one of my cats, and being late to work more times than I can count.

EDIT: SHbox, I read that. Mine does it on startup and won't start most of the time. It has done it a maximum of four times in a row which is ungodly annoying. Sometimes though when I am driving it comes on too. I read.....

"If the system detects a fault with the lock cylinder circuit after the engine is already running, the SECURITY lamp will light. The engine will be able to be restarted. This is called “fault enable mode”. (The system saw a good reading from the key at one point during a previous ignition cycle before the failure. So, it considers it a problem and not someone trying to steal the car.) When in fault enable mode, PASSKey protection is disabled until the problem is repaired. Once repaired, the SECURITY lamp will go out about after about 1 minute after the key is turned on."

That helps figure out the basis of the issue.

I like the resistor option the best as I don't want to have any potential issues with this crap anymore.

Are these diagrams the same for all engine / trans options? I have a 95 V6 / A4 car and I've noticed some of the wiring is different in my 93 V8 / A4 car.
http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg
I think the VATS system is pretty much the same in all models.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 PM

The security light went on on my 95Z28 today, first time i have ever seen this... Stayed on for about 3-5 minutes then went out....
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Randy J Lawson
The security light went on on my 95Z28 today, first time i have ever seen this... Stayed on for about 3-5 minutes then went out....
Read the info linked in post 2. The pellet resistance reading is probably intermittent.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

these systems are REALLY easy to bypass in the column. im sure the link posted can walk you through it or pm me if you have a problem with it.

Quick Reply: Security light on 1994-95-96 Camaro