LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Operation Engine Bay of Pigs

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Operation Engine Bay of Pigs

EDIT 12/31/09:
If I cut a piece of metal into the shape of the fuel line hole in the shocktower, is there a way for me to stick in in there and hold? And then smooth it out w/ body filler? This is because the car is obviously immobile and I can't have it welded on. Additionally, I want to paint the bay while the heads/IM are off and have more space to work/paint. Just so you know why I'm thinking of doing that to the fuel line hole.
This thread is a little documentation of my process in the clean up of my engine bay.

This all started with me blowing my headgasket and overheating the car on a couple of occasions (long story, temp gauge sensor not working after header install )

Do do:

!Wire Mod
!Fuel lines Mod
Wire harness rerouting/tuck (minor)
Paint engine bay (engine still inside using DuPont Spray Paint)

I already started the wire mod but did not finish it entirely. I haven't wrapped them up entirely.

The Money Pit:

The Engine Bay of Pigs

****, I drilled too high. You can see where I initially meant to drill.

Decided to coat the wheel well w/ truck bed liner coating from DuPont from the aerosol can.

Time for a break, here's a pic of my dog:

I didn't finish wrapping them up, because I had to get out of the garage and I intend to wrap the grounds in some other stuff you'll see later. Plus I had to take the car to my usual muffler shop to get this done:

Under the fuel lines

The holes that hold the junction box

More to come:

Last edited by Torque Fiend; 12-31-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally started the tear down:

**** You, ugly *** fuel lines, replacing w/ braided teflon hose and -6an fittings

I forgot to get this taken care of:
I'll just have to put the rubber plug back in, maybe I'll paint it?

Intake Manifold off, the carnage:

Valley:

That's all I have done.

In the next few days, I'll be finishing up the driver side whell well and coating it also.

I'll relocate the hood latch cable and run the fuel lines. I'll prep the bay, grind the welds, sand the shock towers and paint.

It's going to take me awhile, this is my first time doing all of this. Oh, and I work slow

So follow along.

Last edited by Torque Fiend; 12-28-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im ok with everything except replacing stock fuel lines with stainless braided. thats an expensive option that is less reliable and heavier than the stock stuff. less reliable not because of the hose itself, but you will now have several hose ends that could fail or just come unscrewed.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

VERY NICE thread and lots of pics, seems like a bad *** build u have going on there. My favorite pic was **** you ugly *** fuel lines lmao
Want a milk shake, lol damn ur engine is milky as hell, whats the plan for the top end?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish I could say heads and cam, but no. I contemplated it, but decided against using my credit cards. Purely cash on this one.

So, I'm just going to get the heads cleaned and milled (hope they're not warped), change anything that needs to be changed, new seals.

Going to get the intake manifold cleaned up, relocate the side vacuum ports(pass. side) to back of the intake to clean that stuff up, just like 'Skinnies" did.

Paint the IM (Ford Red, hey I like the color).

I wish I could get rid of the AC, but I think I want it. Eventually, I'll get the SpeedInc relocation bracket, and clean up that ugly alternator and keep the AC.

The bay would be much cleaner w/o it though.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vtec
im ok with everything except replacing stock fuel lines with stainless braided. thats an expensive option that is less reliable and heavier than the stock stuff. less reliable not because of the hose itself, but you will now have several hose ends that could fail or just come unscrewed.
true.

I'm not too worried about it, but if it happens I'm gonna be pissed.

Plus it looks so good.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Those heads are probably warped with that damage to the engine with the milkshake.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Torque Fiend
Going to get the intake manifold cleaned up, relocate the side vacuum ports(pass. side) to back of the intake to clean that stuff up, just like 'Skinnies" did.
What is the process in relocating those ports? Just drill and tap?

I wish I could get rid of the AC, but I think I want it. Eventually, I'll get the SpeedInc relocation bracket, and clean up that ugly alternator and keep the AC.

The less clutter the better, but like you, getting rid of the AC on a street car isn't worth it.
The bay would be much cleaner w/o it though.
Are you doing the welds yourself? What will you use to patch up the fuel line holes?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

im working on the same thing right now!

every thing moved, did a quick spray job to see if i liked semi or gloss. it is sanded back down again ready for nice paint this time....

lots of work man good luck.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where do you guys like to relocate the fuse/relay box?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Evaporate
Are you doing the welds yourself? What will you use to patch up the fuel line holes?
In regards to the vacuum ports, yes just drill and tap. I'm going to let the machine shop do that. I'll close the existing holes with allen head bolts. Just paint over them.

Welds I did not do myself. That's why I was saying, I messed up in not getting a piece of metal welded on there to shut it down. But I hadn't done the lines, so I couldn't drive the car over to the shop.

What I should have done was relocate, then take to get welded. Just find some metal as thick as the hole, weld around it, and grind is the best thing to do.

So, I'll just leave it with the rubber piece that was on there.

Originally Posted by thomas89xj
im working on the same thing right now!
Looks good. I'm going to use the factory matched paint that Duplicolor (not dupont, like I said earlier) sells in the can.

Originally Posted by halucinator
Where do you guys like to relocate the fuse/relay box?
What lots of guys do is stick them though the hole where the CAI goes through.

I should relocate mine, but there is no way I'm putting mine down there. If, I did it I would have to extend wires and i would likely relocate in cabin.

On a side note:
Eventually I plan on relocating the battery to the back where the spare goes.

Last edited by Torque Fiend; 12-28-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds good, thanks. I have that rubber piece sitting in the original fuel line hole until I can get things welded up there. Please keep the pics rolling for us too.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is how I did my intake...

Yes the injectors are wired, the wiring runs under the rails and you can see I have all side ports blocked off, along with the map sensor hole plugged, I relocated it to the back of the intake also.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Few more pics...

Where I relocated my coil...

Fuse box and wiring all relocated underneath...

Fuel lines relocated and all holes filled and painted(including the fuel line hole and cai hole) and also radiator stood up with slim fans. Also all wiring for tb/iat/etc are routed below the motor by the oil pan then behind the water pump.

Another pic..
Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Wow, all that stuff looks really good. I think I might have to attempt this when it gets warm out....4 months from now or so . Where do you guys relocate the fuel lines too?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ove the brake booster. Drill two holes for the lines and then just follow the regular path to the hard lines.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

question on my mind in the first post.

JB Weld? Permatex Liquid Metal? Anything?
Old 01-09-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

update 1/8/10

Finally, I've been doing some noticeable progress. I was slowed down by an order of paints that I placed just before Christmas. With all the holidays, and the place not having everything in stock, it took longer than I wanted.

In the mean time, I drill holes for the fuel line relocation and painted the driver wheel well w/ truck bed liner.

I also closed up the old hole where the lines came from.

Ground down the welds to fill the vacant holes, used body filler and just sanded them down tonight.

Time for the dirty work

Aircraft Paint remover used on the valve covers.

Grinded the rust that's formed below the battery tray. I used to have some battery corrosion, that may have been a big cause. Got the most I could get off. Threw some of that rust killer stuff from the auto parts store.

Supplies:
I might do the CETA w/ the Bumper coating, I'll be using it first on the cowl cover (the piece that lines the bottom of the windshield)

Duplicolor to match GM Paint

Last edited by Torque Fiend; 01-09-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey guys,

Help me out here with this compression ratio calc.

Can, I safely run the thinner MR. Gasket head gaskets?

I took my heads into to the shop. I finally got them back and the machinist said he had to take .012 off the heads.

So they were pretty warped.

Does anyone know where that now leaves me? Everything is stock.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

keep up the great work! I am impressed...in the beginning it kind of looked sloppy, but it's coming along nicely. and that pic of all your spray cans together made me laugh, cause I own every single one of those cans. My basement has like 30 spray paint cans that I've collected over the years.

Quick Reply: Operation Engine Bay of Pigs