LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

poll le2 vs ai 190 vs new trickflow

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
From my experience both AI and LE heads are an improvement over stock. I did the tuning on HVYSS car and his car is proof that the LE2 heads and intake work cause his car is still full weight as you can see in the video he posted above run's fairly well for a boat. I really didn't know what to think about his new purchase of the AI 200cc heads, but I do know that a CNC port job where all ports and chambers are going to be exact will help promote a better balanced engine which should produce more power. Also the flow numbers seem alot better on the AI's compared to his LE2's. So with all that said I fully expect his car to go faster with the head swap.

From what I've personally seen, every car that have AI heads perform. So we are going to do an apples to apple comparison on his car by swapping on his new AI 200cc heads and keeping the GM847 cam so that the heads and intake can show which ones are truly better. The AI spec cam will eventually go in but we are just curious to see how the heads alone will perform compared to his current setup. I don't feel that the GM847 cam is an advantage to one head more than the other and I know there will be haters saying that the cam isn't spec'd for the AI heads but the cam isn't spec'd for the LE2 heads either so this is why we are going to do it this way to get a good result with track times to prove which setup works the best.
This should be cool to see, thanks for you guys taking the initiative to do this. One comment though, a true apples to apples would be both vendor's providing their best ported stock casting: AI200cc vs LE3. Either way, definitely post the results.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One comment though, a true apples to apples would be both vendor's providing their best ported stock casting: AI200cc vs LE3. Either way, definitely post the results.
That's good, but my concern would be this. How do you know that one set of LE2s is not different than another? How do you know any given set of LE2s isn't better than a set of LE3s? With hand porting one set is going to vary from another, and the porter may be feeling more enthusiastic one day than another and put more effort into one set of heads than another. It is what it is I guess.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fergymoto
That's good, but my concern would be this. How do you know that one set of LE2s is not different than another? How do you know any given set of LE2s isn't better than a set of LE3s? With hand porting one set is going to vary from another, and the porter may be feeling more enthusiastic one day than another and put more effort into one set of heads than another. It is what it is I guess.
I agree. What LSxPwr is doing is the more honest comparison of what 'average Joe' is going to get when he orders heads from either AI or LE.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Unless you flow them, you don't know. However, the LE3's have bigger valves then the LE2's, so opening up to fit the bigger valves would have to be done, as well as the LE3's should have a bigger intake runner (another way to check between the LE2 and LE3).
Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bowtienut
I agree. What LSxPwr is doing is the more honest comparison of what 'average Joe' is going to get when he orders heads from either AI or LE.
Depends what you call average Joe. Let's see what they offer:

AI offers the following:

190cc - $1395 + core
200CC - $1625 + core

LE offers the following:

LE1 - $900 + core
LE2 - $1300 + core
LE3 - $1600 + core

Seems like the LE1 heads are axamples of mild port work... nothing comparable in AI's stable. What's left? AI190cc vs LE2 (comparable in price... and what your average Joe on a budget would buy). and then the top of the line stuff (AI200 vs LE3). Those would be the ideal tests, and make the most sense to me.

Last edited by RealQuick; 02-16-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 200c AI price you stated is including cam.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kgkern01
You are right!

Makes the prices more comparable... thus they should be compared in performance. If someone wants to spend ~$1600 on heads... which should they get?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dead nuts consistent ones
Old 02-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly
Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The dead nuts consistent ones
I LOL'd at this.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LSxPwrdZ:

There are going to be differences in every head from different porters. The LE2's are more apples to apples more in my opinion than LE3's because of valve size and runner size. We don't know an exact number on runners on Franks LE2's currently on his Impala but we do know that the valve size is the same on his current heads to the AI200 heads.

We aren't trying to bash one company to another, we are just testing for our own curiousity and thought we would share with you guys since it doesnt seem there has been a back to back comparison.

I fully agree that the LE2's are not going to be consistant with one another and that is just part of a hand port job. Either way these are LE2's and we are just comparing them to the AI200 heads, head to head. Like I said originally there may be differences between AI and LE heads but that is there design so which is better? We will find out!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kgkern01
No it isn't.

""$1975 + Core* - Complete, Assembled, with camshaft & Ready to Bolt-On""

http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiProductsLT1.html

At the 1500$ mark I would go with the 21* Trickflow heads.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

and the porter may be feeling more enthusiastic one day than another and put more effort into one set of heads than another.
Just the pics that have been posted on this site show that regarding Monday or Friday LE heads.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Just the pics that have been posted on this site show that regarding Monday or Friday LE heads.
I would not go as far as saying that... There are guys who run good numbers and there are guys with some poor thought-out combinations who don't run good numbers. SO many variables to running a good time slip.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I would not go as far as saying that..
Well of course you wouldn't, but I would. You obviously have not seen the pics of the heads posted over the years. They look like Pablo Paco Pedro Francisco from behind the NAPA parts counter picked up a dremel. Sure we can all excuse bad numbers for a combo that isn't "thought out." It's the politically correct thing to do, however there is such a thing as shitty performance due to a shitty product. I choose to believe most of the situations I've seen are from a shitty product because I have never seen the kind of ports from other well known hand porters look as bad as some of the heads I've seen from LE.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I have seen some pictures once or twice of LE heads that looked maybe a little less than ideal so I guess I personally got lucky. I inspected mine very closely prior to installation and they looked like a piece of art work. I think the car runs pretty damn good too especially considering I have 561 castings and a suspension set up more for handling. I am a very satisfied LE customer and have not enough good things to say about Lloyd. In the end I won't pick sides because I can see the pros and cons of both. Regarding consistency, you can't get the consistency out of hand porting that you can with CNC. For someone like me that simply wanted to build a car that would run 11's on a tight budget, I don't think it's anything to worry about, just IMO.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What CC are le2? Aren't they more like 200

LE3 is 205cc, how does that make LE3 vs AI 200 fair?

I'm anxious to see a comparison of the 2 on hvyss' car. It is a comparison of each companies "go to" head. The difference in cost is simply indicitave of the quality and performance potential of each piece
Old 02-17-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gregrob
What CC are le2? Aren't they more like 200

LE3 is 205cc, how does that make LE3 vs AI 200 fair?

I'm anxious to see a comparison of the 2 on hvyss' car. It is a comparison of each companies "go to" head. The difference in cost is simply indicitave of the quality and performance potential of each piece
The elite AI crew shouldn't be worried about some extra intake CC's. Best stock casting vs best stock casting.

Plus the funny part about this entire thread is that heads are a very small part of the really big picture.

-Dustin-

Quick Reply: poll le2 vs ai 190 vs new trickflow