LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So i Finally bought an 8.8!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you put your breather tube? I forgot that we never added it back it once we welded the sleeves in - oops ! 3 months and its been good so far -
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's the video of my build

http://www.facebook.com/v/1607374431034

How do i embed the video?

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=1607374431034
Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eddielb
Where did you put your breather tube? I forgot that we never added it back it once we welded the sleeves in - oops ! 3 months and its been good so far -
I made that breather. Its a piece of threaded rod that i drilled a hole out of the center. Then i drilled and tapped a hole straight the housing. Nice video btw. I cant wait to test drive mine!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
I made that breather. Its a piece of threaded rod that i drilled a hole out of the center. Then i drilled and tapped a hole straight the housing. Nice video btw. I cant wait to test drive mine!
Do you think its important and I should add one ?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

lets see it on under the car!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eddielb
Do you think its important and I should add one ?
Ill put it like this lol... When the rear gets hot its builds up pressure from the oil getting hot. This pressure needs a place to escape. Without a breather it will put excess pressure on the weakest link. That would be your axles seals!

Originally Posted by seadoo
lets see it on under the car!
its gonna happen soon i can promise you that! My 10 bolt has got to have every bearing in it bad!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Well This weekend was going to be the weekend i install my rear. Unfortunately god didnt want me to. I was hospitalized tuesday with a serious subdural hematoma. It happened when my girlfriend and i were involved in a car accident 3-4 weeks ago. Despite the fact i didnt hit my head i suffered minor whiplash; apparently thats all it takes. All the doctors say that I am Extremely fortunate to be in as good of shape as I am. I should of shown signs of brain damage. All I suffered from only serious headachs and no other neurological damage. The neurosurgeons drilled 2 dime sized holes in my head and drained out alittle more then a cup of blood from the subdural region. Needless to say. Im out of commission for awhile. Atleast a month of anything serious (work driving and sex ) so dont expect updates to this with the rear in the car lol... Im just happy to be home.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good grief you really need to kick back and chillax.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just glad to hear you are going to be alright. Cars and sex are two of the best things in life, but there will be time for them soon enough.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys. It really really sucks but im happy that im still alive and healthy! the machine at the hospital was broken so i dont have pictures of my MRI yet. When i get them ill post them and show the severity of the situation lol
Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

My welder friend has finished welding the stock suspension brackets off of an old 3rd gen housing onto my 69 Impala 12 Bolt housing for me. He's cut out the brackets for the mini-ladder bar / Pete Z style arms too, but we aren't going to weld them on until we do some on-car measuring first. I still have to disassemble/reassemble the centersection and mount up a set of stock LT1 brakes to it. Currently it has a 2.73:1 & 2 series posi, but I have a 3 series and the correct 4.10 gear to fit the 3 series carrier without a spacer waiting to go in after all the welding is done. The 2 series & 2.73 is already spoken for by a local friend so I need to get it out soon.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

Man I've followed this thread for a while. I have my rears cut ( for the past 6 months I'm like you lol) and picking up a better carrier this weekend to avoid rebuilding the one I have. Going to take my tubes next week to get machined down. So having them pressed in kept them from moving while welding? Props on the build can't wait to see it in the car and ill be keeping up with how well your ta mount holds up.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by drago1217
Man I've followed this thread for a while. I have my rears cut ( for the past 6 months I'm like you lol) and picking up a better carrier this weekend to avoid rebuilding the one I have. Going to take my tubes next week to get machined down. So having them pressed in kept them from moving while welding? Props on the build can't wait to see it in the car and ill be keeping up with how well your ta mount holds up.
Thanks man i appreciate how many people find my post useful. If you press int the tubes it will prevent it from moving while you weld it, yes. That and it prevents any movement between the 2 tubes causing failure
Old 10-13-2011, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

That puts my worries to rest. Would 3 inches be enough to keep from moving. I cut it so that I could slide it in about 3 inches and come right up the 8.8 breather in the tube so I could keep it instead of drilling another
Old 10-16-2011, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

So I got another rear because the one I picked up first had quit a bit of rust. But before I. Go cutting the tubes again I wanted to double check something with you. When I took my measurements the first time I measured from end to center of the yolk. That way when I make the new housing the yolk would be centered to the origional location of the 10 bolt. This in theory is right. But I am a fabricator and started looking at the diffeence in offsets of the 2 rears. Then I started thinking about the carriers and axles.

If I make the housing with the yolk centered in the same spot as the 10 bolt, all the internals will line up correctly? Axles will be fine right. My stock fbody axles.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

So I got another rear because the one I picked up first had quit a bit of rust. But before I. Go cutting the tubes again I wanted to double check something with you. When I took my measurements the first time I measured from end to center of the yolk. That way when I make the new housing the yolk would be centered to the origional location of the 10 bolt. This in theory is right. But I am a fabricator and started looking at the diffeence in offsets of the 2 rears. Then I started thinking about the carriers and axles.

If I make the housing with the yolk centered in the same spot as the 10 bolt, all the internals will line up correctly? Axles will be fine right. My stock fbody axles.
first off 3" will be fine aslong as the 10 bolt tubes are around .001" tight. this way you can still knock them in but not have them lock up on you and **** you. Aslong as they dont slip in and out or rotate inside of each other youll be fine..

That is what i did. IIRC the 10-bolt and 8.8 pumpkins have the yoke pretty centered. If you make the end of the axle tubes equal and centered to the yoke everything should be the same. Another good place to take measurments is from the diff carrier bearing seats. Everything should be even for it to work properly.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks. Was supposed to take them to get machined today but didn't have time. Ill get it done and hopefully all welded up Saturday. You get that thing in yet? Wondering if that design will beat up your tunnel
Old 10-17-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks. Was supposed to take them to get machined today but didn't have time. Ill get it done and hopefully all welded up Saturday. You get that thing in yet? Wondering if that design will beat up your tunnel
Yw man np.. unfortunately god doesnt want me installing the rear. first with the brain surgery and now i have a really terrible cold. im still under dr's orders to not lift anything to heavy.. just my luck hahaha. im actually not overly concerned with if it beats up my tunnel or not. alittle clearance with a hammer never killed anyone
Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Any updates?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Any updates?
Head surgery set me back huge. then just as im getting back in the swing of things my opti ***** the bed and i then decided to do the 24x swap. Ill be posting up when i order that stuff. When the cars finally running again this will get updated. Im truely sorry for length of this tread time wise. But someone Really doesnt want me to finish this damn car.

Quick Reply: So i Finally bought an 8.8!