LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So i Finally bought an 8.8!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
UPDATES REQUIRED!!! lol Where are you on this??

I have everything I need except my axles...here is MY list so far lol

8.8 from a 79-93 Mustang GT w/Disc Brakes
10-Bolt from a 97 Camaro
4.10 Gears
31-Spline Carrier from a Ford Explorer
Precision 355 Conversion U-Joint
LS1 Rear Brakes from a 2000 Trans AM
UMI LCA Relocation Brackets
8.8 Solid Pinion Spacer

Next purchase:
Moser 31-Spline Axles

Everything is with the mechanic building my rear right now. I am going to direct him to this page to get a good idea of what to do. He said he will be starting the build on Monday and it should take a week or so to accomplish depending on what complications we run into...

Just out of curiosity, did you use stock 10-bolt axles from Moser, OR did you use stock 8.8 Axles and just get them in 32" or does it matter?
updates will follow after im done working 30 hours in 2 days for the past 2 weeks. Todays the first day ive had down time in a week and i had alot to catch up on. They need to be 31 spline C-clip axles with 4th gen f-body outters. i had them in less then a week from when i ordered them
Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so sorry if I sound retarded here, but I am looking on the Moser website and trying to figure out what to order exactly. I see the option for the Ford 8.8 C-Clip Axles in 31-Spline but all the ones I see are already a certain length and only have Ford outters, so did you call and they just changed those up, or do I actually have to order the custom length axles that are more expensive?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The axles you are looking for are custom to order length(32") 31 spline and f-body outer bearing surface.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, so sorry if I sound retarded here, but I am looking on the Moser website and trying to figure out what to order exactly. I see the option for the Ford 8.8 C-Clip Axles in 31-Spline but all the ones I see are already a certain length and only have Ford outters, so did you call and they just changed those up, or do I actually have to order the custom length axles that are more expensive?
I already told you this! You need to confirm the axle length you need, then CALL Moser and tell them what you are doing....

Ford 31 spline carrier, Gm 7.5 ends and wheel bolt pattern...
Old 03-26-2011, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

I am dense lol. I over think ****. My bad
Old 03-27-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I am dense lol. I over think ****. My bad
Nothing wrong with being overly sure of something. I was the same way when i ordered my axles. Just give Moser a call and talk it through one of there guys. There great to talk to!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Time Enough At Last!

Things were slow around the shop this week. Thus giving me some time to gather my thoughts, and to regain my need to finish the rear (that has been mocking me everyday )

I needed to extent the 10 bolts tubes alittle bit more to the point where i was comfortable with how far they were in the tubes of the 8.8". As they stand right now they are 3" inside.

And to finally see it come to life!

Its all fitted together and Perfect! The tubes are Not welded to the pumkin yet because i am going to have everything sandblasted and acid bathed first! Whenever my friend has time (tomorrow or friday) hell pick them up and do them the following day. Once i get everything back it gets welded together and then the gears finally get setup! oh happy day!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

nice work, i like that TA setup back to the tubes instead of the pumpkin. curious how are you going to make sure everything stays level? did you build a jig or just using a level..tack..etc...
Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by merim123
nice work, i like that TA setup back to the tubes instead of the pumpkin. curious how are you going to make sure everything stays level? did you build a jig or just using a level..tack..etc...
Thanks for the compliment. I did not make a jig. but i will be leveling everything out and getting it as close as possible. (within a degree im confident of) the pumpkin will be zeroed out and everything will then get degreed and tacked
Old 04-13-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good man. Great work. Glad to see you finally got it done. Now just make a second and send it my way lol.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by litch2004
Looks good man. Great work. Glad to see you finally got it done. Now just make a second and send it my way lol.
Thanks, if it was easier and took less time that wouldnt be a problem.

I should have everything back tuesday looking like new! i really really cant wait to have a fully finished houseing..... my Only concern is how badly my torque arm is going to hit the under carriage..
Old 05-21-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Progress

My life never seems to slow down. No matter how much gets dumped ontop of me. There always seems like theres alot more to follow.

Theres been a weird clunk coming from the back of my car every so often. Today i went under the car to check it out. While in my search to find a loose bolt, or perhaps an exhaust pipe that was hitting the body. I found nothing. I moved to my drive shaft and with the E-brake on and the car out of gear. It has roughly 1/8" movement back and forth (trying to turn it) i crawled out from under my car, moved it outside and began to get to work. Afew weeks ago i had gotten the pumpkin and tubes sandblasted then painted (expect where i had to weld it) unfortunately for me, when i got the parts back my oil pump drive **** the bed.

Never the less, with a head full of concerns for how much longer my 10 bolt will last i threw everything else to the curb and attacked my 8.8...

Everything is within spec of the measurements (length and degrees) that i took from a stock 10bolt housing. I put 4 opposing tacks on both tubes and remeasured. Im good to go. If i dont strip down my dads car from a faulty axle bearing monday night Then ill tig weld the tubes together, give it a shot of paint, then get the gears finally setup. My friends going to be kind enough to let me use his lift across the street from my shop.

My stock steel driveshaft has a new u-joint in it to fit the 1350 setup that ill be running with my rear. My only Real concerns are...

~The driveshaft will be either to long or too short.
~The torque arm hits the body really badly
~Or that my rear alignment is really off (im buying adjustable control arms just in case)

Sorry for what seems to be a rant.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks great man! Sorry to hear about your other troubles though.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's looking great.....keep up the work when you can. I've been a subscriber to this one since the beginning. Very nice work.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

awesome man.....almost there dont worry....it will be worth it....i work long hours and am in college so believe me....i know what your talking about....but ****....you still made a bad as 10bolt housing...keep it up.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Im sure some of you think im bsing when i say that bad lucks been hitting me. Well. Heres proof of that.

Milling machine caught me good 2 weeks ago before vacation. 11 stitches and a good bit of missing blood. Everythings ok tho thankfully, all fingers are still working as usual and no lose of feeling. I lucked out.

Onto more pressing matters... The houseing is completed

It doesnt look like much through a shitty cell phone camera. But that is all welded together. With the tubes being 3" inside of each other with a .0001" press fit, it completely prevented any pulling when i welded it. 2 complete passes with the tig and viola!

The one thing im contimplating on doing is welding the 8.8 tubes to the pumpkin. I dont feel that they would leak, but if i was to spray weld it (for castings) it would ensure no possible leaks from the joint. At the same time however, id rather not push my luck with the pumpkin. The last thing id want now is to have to break
Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
The one thing im contimplating on doing is welding the 8.8 tubes to the pumpkin. I dont feel that they would leak, but if i was to spray weld it (for castings) it would ensure no possible leaks from the joint. At the same time however, id rather not push my luck with the pumpkin. The last thing id want now is to have to break
I weld the tubes to the pumpkin on any rear I have ever owned. Have you ever seen what happens when they spin in the housing? Alot of stuff get tore up when those 2 little welds break.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ks my ss
I weld the tubes to the pumpkin on any rear I have ever owned. Have you ever seen what happens when they spin in the housing? Alot of stuff get tore up when those 2 little welds break.
Thanks for the final push! Ill have that welded up tomorrow or thursday
Old 06-18-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Housing Completed

After a truely, very long time. The housing is finally completed. I am very happy with how it turned out. Everythings rock solid and painted (not pictures) My boss welded up the stock 8.8 tubes to the pumpkin. With doing one at a time and allowing it to cool slowly, it worked out great. Next step are getting the gears setup.

One side welded and cooled from the night before

Other side buried under oil absorber to retard the cooling

I didnt take pictures of the housing after everything cooled off. But the welds held aswell as the housing. Im very pleased
Old 06-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Teching In

looks great! wish i had the skills for that!

Quick Reply: So i Finally bought an 8.8!