LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SLP Loudmouth Cat Back

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Loudmouth Cat Back

I am new to the forum and will be picking up my 1994 Trans Am 6-Speed T-Top car today. It has the SLP Loudmouth Cat Back and I am not sure that I am going to like the no-muffler sound? What are the advantages of having this verses the flowmaster or likewise catback? I will post pics later when I get the car in the garage.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

it sounds outright great ,**** the people that dont like it . install cam and whatnot get the girls wet and enjoy yourself
Old 02-20-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994 TA
I am new to the forum and will be picking up my 1994 Trans Am 6-Speed T-Top car today. It has the SLP Loudmouth Cat Back and I am not sure that I am going to like the no-muffler sound? What are the advantages of having this verses the flowmaster or likewise catback? I will post pics later when I get the car in the garage.
Don't go with flowmaster as they sound like POO on our cars and IMO they are really best sounding on Mustangs. I have the Borla setup and love it as I can control the loudness with restrictor plates if I want to. The SLP Loudmouth is a very good setup but as you have found it can be obnoxiously loud. Upto you but if you want to change I would look at Borla (kinda pricey) or Magnaflow. GMGG makes a really good setup as well, but it is pricey also.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

if you plan on doing longtubes and and off road y setup, it can be very loud

i had it 2 of my cars, didn't really mind it...some people really dislike the way it sounds

if in the future you get tired of it, many people will throw a borla xr1 muffler or something similar in place of the resonator
Old 02-20-2010, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Longtubes, ORY, and SLP loudmouth on my car. I like it for the most part.

heres a couple videos so you can hear how it sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeVEE-yJ7Zg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=MOV01095.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=MOV01091.flv
Old 02-20-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

I've got Longtubes with the LM1 and this Bitch is really loud when you open her up! My wife hates it!
Old 02-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

loudmouth ext is wicked loud...i prefer Borla or Corsa but its alot more $$

my borla is still really loud cus of my Lt's and high flow cats...i still get pulled over for it sometimes...i cant imagine it with LM

dont get a flowmaster tho whatever u do
Old 02-20-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Good vids, if I turn my volume way up it still doesn't do any justice to how loud this set-up is!
Old 02-20-2010, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS#502
Good vids, if I turn my volume way up it still doesn't do any justice to how loud this set-up is!
Thanks, Its true though, Its REALLY loud
Old 02-20-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

i got into a argument about how loud they are with a friend of mine ,he has the lm1 and i have a hooker cat back he swears that mine is louder at w.o.t than the lm1 lololollolololololol
Old 02-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Launching!

a catback that would be somewhat milder compared to the lm1 would be a magnaflow or a hooker but are still nice and loud but the rasp is cut down alot. do not get a flowmaster catback, i had one on my car when i purchased it from a guy way back in 2000 and i hated it. unless you plan on running true duals a set of flowmaster one chambers would be nice other than that the catbacks they make for the fbodies just plain suck.

its really a hate or love with the slp loudmouths, i personally love the way they sound WITHOUT headers on, and with headers it just gets really loud and i still like it. im one of the few that still like loud, raspy, obnoxious cars.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Here is a example of LM1 from stock Y back. I did and upper chamber cleaning so I had to rev it a few times, so this should give a good idea of the sound. By the way, I like my SLP LM setup, I now have shorty headders and a SLP Y added to the mix, just have the stock cats still on.

View Video on FQuick
Old 02-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Launching!

^^^ see like i said they sound nice with factory manifolds and y...throw some headers on and man the slp gets loud. either way i like how the slp's sound i wouldnt change it.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a question, I just got my TA today and I love it. Small problem though! It surges or missfires at low RPM's and I cannot run 6th gear unless I am going say 90? Now when I am up in the rpm's it is nice and smooth with lots of power? Any suggestions? Also, seems to backfire quite a bit. Don't know if there is an exhaust leak yet but maybe some of you have run into this? Also where is the distributor on the LT1?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1994 TA
Here is a question, I just got my TA today and I love it. Small problem though! It surges or missfires at low RPM's and I cannot run 6th gear unless I am going say 90? Now when I am up in the rpm's it is nice and smooth with lots of power? Any suggestions? Also, seems to backfire quite a bit. Don't know if there is an exhaust leak yet but maybe some of you have run into this? Also where is the distributor on the LT1?
welcome to the head aches of the lt1's lol... well guessing if you already dont know where our great distributors are on these cars your new to lt1's. they are called optisparks and are located right underneath the waterpump. its a brown/golden color looking cap with spark plug wires going to it. well sounds by what you are telling us it def. seems like a distributor problem. this is by far the most aggravating thing on the lt1 cars. some people are lucky and some people might have replaced one ever so often. its actually a good set up when running right, but just where gm decided to locate it its what the problem was.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned

If youre car has headers I would swap the SLP LM1 can out for a Borla can, but other then that is probably one of the best catbacks you can get for sound, stainless with pretty much 3" all the way from the cat to the axle before it splits.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry I have alot of questions. I smell gas when I park it? It takes a while to start it? Fuel Pump? Also it looks to have the factory wires on it and it is at 138k. Could be a serious issue.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

The head ache of the opti.... You could be running into a few problems. I had a 93 LT1 before I got the 02 LS1 and had a misfire at low rpms also. I did a plug and wire switch, then did and opti switch and still had the misfire. Sold the car later to a bud that wanted to fix her up and he finally found the problem in the ECU. So the problem could be anywhere from the opti, plugs, wires to ECU. First thing is to get is scanned and see if any codes are on the system, then you will have a better area to start from. Next you can do a plug and wire tune up relatively cheap, but then if you come to the opti to replace, that will be a little more expensive and is defiantly more time consuming. Oh, and the fuel smell means your running rich. I think the pump is fine, but with the misfire going on, its alowing the extra unburnt fuel to build and that may be causing the backfires as well as the smell. Mine did the same thing you are talking about, smell, backfire and misfire. Like I said before, it all came down to the ECU as the problem, but that was discovered from the system throwing a code.

Last edited by tdevil55; 02-20-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

I will have it scanned, and the car came with all of the records. it has had the distributor replaced 3 times and 4 sets of plugs and wires? Like I said earlier, I cannot run 6th gear? I want this thing to run smooth at low rpms. I am not a fan of the Opti Spark! Here is a photo of my Chevelle. Soooo Much easier to work on!!!! And Making 700HP to the rear wheels!! Has just a little NOS on it, Just a little!!
Attached Thumbnails SLP Loudmouth Cat Back-motor.jpg  

Last edited by 1994 TA; 02-21-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

OK, here is the TA that I picked up yesterday and have not a clue on the LT1 set up!!
Attached Thumbnails SLP Loudmouth Cat Back-ta.jpg   SLP Loudmouth Cat Back-ta-interior.jpg  

Quick Reply: SLP Loudmouth Cat Back