LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What KOOKS give you that PACESETTERS don't for extra $600+ ??!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed Kooks on both my C6 and C6 ZO6, and the fit & finish were second to none. My LQ9 build will have them too. I have Jet-Hot's on my Z28 now, and while they have served their purpose, they are showing their age, and starting to rust where they rub the trailer.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:44 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

Originally Posted by GeorgeR@kooks
Guys not to start a our product is better then there product pissing match. Here are some differences we are a Header and exhaust manufacture. We produce all of our own product right here in our NC facility with a good old American Labor. If you need to talk to us just call. If there is a problem just call. We use all US sourced product only. As for the collector we use our US patented venturi spike collector on all product we make. I could go on but for what. If anybody has any further question feel free to PM me or call toll free 1866-586-KOOK.
Well put!

I guess sometimes ignorance is bliss..... At least for some people! So easy to make ASSumptions, lmmfao!

Thanks for an "all usa" made product!hell, I am not even american.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I see all kinds of guys talking about how they had to tweak their Pacesetters in various ways to get them to fit. Same happens with ANY header, but seems to be rare with Kooks and other similar quality manufacturers (for other models with more SS options) whereas with pacesetter it seems like more of a regular occurance. You will never find a header that fits every car because everything from sagging motor mounts to a wreck in the past can cause issues. When I installed my non-stepped kooks the actual header install was the easiest part of the whole process. They just slipped right in. Plus they will never rust on you and to top it off if you like going to shows they look badass under the hood after they turn various shades of gold/blue/purple. So I would imagine that's the difference. Also as a side note, f-body guys are kinda spoiled because our aftermarket is so cheap generally speaking. I've had a lot of eyebrows go up before by enthusiasts of other makes/models. When I said my headers were about $800 for hand built SS long tubes. try looking at similar headers for almost anything else. Kooks LTs for an LT1/LS1 are really reasonable in comparison. In short, even though I've sort of rambled on (oops) if you plan to keep the car I think Kooks are worth it. If this is a car you plan to sell before too long and don't mind some extra work, the pacesetters are fine. They are honestly a good header for the price, but that's just it. There's a reason why Pacesetter can sell them for so little.

Last edited by nighthawk15; 03-06-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just slightly confused after 4 pages, do some of you also use your fbodies as boats or something? I've seen both painted and ceramic coated headers last a looooonnnngggg time. Granted I don't live in a state with snow/road salt, but honestly if I moved back up North I wouldn't drive it in the winter anyway, I'd drive some POS that I would care about if I slid in ice, deer, rotting undercarriage, whatever.

I've installed a few sets of Pacesetters, with fresh motor mounts. So long as the car is high enough off the ground they slip right in.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 936spdZ28
Im going to be ordering some LPPs here in a couple of days. Have any of you heard that you need to get them thermo coated? A guy at a local shop told me he's heard of the headers melting the a/c box and stuff.
I have not had a problems with that. I live in FL and drove all last summer. If it worries you get some dyno thermal mat to put on it. just make sure your engine mounts are in good shap. good time to switch out to a polly or new rubber. If the driver is sagging you will have a problem clearing the intermidiate steering shaft and the K member on both sides. other than that they fit good unless you run a moroso oil pan then you will need to plug the oil level sensor, and it will be a bitch to get the driver side in. Don't forget to get O2 extensions You will need them. I did plugs and wires at the same time and I love all the room I have to rout plug wires so I don't burn them. You will need to shield the one wire harness that comes down the passenger side. That has been the only thing I have had problems with.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
I have not had a problems with that. I live in FL and drove all last summer. If it worries you get some dyno thermal mat to put on it. just make sure your engine mounts are in good shap. good time to switch out to a polly or new rubber. If the driver is sagging you will have a problem clearing the intermidiate steering shaft and the K member on both sides. other than that they fit good unless you run a moroso oil pan then you will need to plug the oil level sensor, and it will be a bitch to get the driver side in. Don't forget to get O2 extensions You will need them. I did plugs and wires at the same time and I love all the room I have to rout plug wires so I don't burn them. You will need to shield the one wire harness that comes down the passenger side. That has been the only thing I have had problems with.
sweet. thanks for the info!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:44 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you get the headers coated, you might notice a bit better performance.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed my Pacesetter LTs/ORY and they fit amazingly, needed no tweeking. I only drive the car in good weather so I'm not concerned about rust or anything. They've been on the car for a year and still look good, but they could use a scrub.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BTC
If you get the headers coated, you might notice a bit better performance.
I hope to have them by friday and then theyre getting sent to a local shop here in Nebraska to get coated. I cant wait to get them on the car. Should help wake it up a little.

Quick Reply: What KOOKS give you that PACESETTERS don't for extra $600+ ??!!!