LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

PCM and Stall question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM and Stall question

So two quick questions, the tune i have in the 94 Z28 is tuned for a 503 cam, we just put a motor in and she has LT's, Underdrive, AC delete and of course a 2800-3200 stall. I was wondering how rich or how bad the tune is going to be cause of the 503 tune that was tuned for the same exact except mid's. Also, is the vats in the PCM? Say I use a PCM from another car, will it work or will it not even start cause of the VATS?

Second, the stall in the car starts to move at around 1,500-2k. I don't remember it being like that in the formula, it would just move it as soon as i put my foot down. I was wondering if it needs more transmission fluid or maybe check the stall out and see if there is a problem with it or what?

All help is appreciated! Thanks!!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand what you did. Did you rebuild the engine and use a different cam? Are you saying the car wont move untill you reach 1500 to 2000 rpm?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motor we put in has a stock cam. He is also wondering if the resistance reading for the VATS is in the PCM or not. We have what I think is a stock PCM sitting here, didn't know if it would work for the time being if we sent the 503 tuned PCM out for a retune.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

Second, the stall in the car starts to move at around 1,500-2k. I don't remember it being like that in the formula, it would just move it as soon as i put my foot down. I was wondering if it needs more transmission fluid or maybe check the stall out and see if there is a problem with it or what?

I'd be checking the fluid before driving it anywhere. Thats how they act if there low enough on fluid.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

ok yea the pcm is for the same exact year and same options? if not I would not but thats just me. Running the 503 PCM could cause wash down and at worst cause a hydro lock on the rings, would not even idel on that. if you have check the oil and if it smells like gas change it. As for the trans um It sounds like what robs said in that there may not be enough fluid. If you know its full then It sounds like something is binding up. If you want a trans guy to look at it or talk to them, Monster transmissions is right there in spring hill. I bought my 4l60e from them. Curt is the head tech there. On a side not I live just down the road in Holiday south of NPR. lol small world.
What brand of stall is it?
I belive the VATS is in the BCM not 100% on that. you should be able to bypass it in the steering column.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycenk
ok yea the pcm is for the same exact year and same options? if not I would not but thats just me. Running the 503 PCM could cause wash down and at worst cause a hydro lock on the rings, would not even idel on that. if you have check the oil and if it smells like gas change it. As for the trans um It sounds like what robs said in that there may not be enough fluid. If you know its full then It sounds like something is binding up. If you want a trans guy to look at it or talk to them, Monster transmissions is right there in spring hill. I bought my 4l60e from them. Curt is the head tech there. On a side not I live just down the road in Holiday south of NPR. lol small world.
What brand of stall is it?
I belive the VATS is in the BCM not 100% on that. you should be able to bypass it in the steering column.
Got my stall from Monster actually. Great people, I love em and will do business with again for sure.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car is running fine on the 503 tune, but yeah I figure it would run rich if anything? I wouldn't think the options would matter in regards to the PCM, maybe we will send the Formula's PCM out for the reflash then instead of the mystery PCM that we assume has a factory tune in it.

We should have a Pasco/Hernando meet, the one guy from Monster was actually trying to set one up at Beef O Brady's, there really wasn't too much interest though I guess.....
Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vulcan2422
Got my stall from Monster actually. Great people, I love em and will do business with again for sure.
since you bought it from them I would call or stop by and talk to curt (if he is still there) He might be able to point you in the right direction. I had a problem with the trans I got from them and took moths to figure out. I actually took the car up there and had curt drive it to figure it out. Ended up being a defective sunshell. It had a fracture in it that would cause 1st gear to not engage all the way.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Car is running fine on the 503 tune, but yeah I figure it would run rich if anything? I wouldn't think the options would matter in regards to the PCM, maybe we will send the Formula's PCM out for the reflash then instead of the mystery PCM that we assume has a factory tune in it.

We should have a Pasco/Hernando meet, the one guy from Monster was actually trying to set one up at Beef O Brady's, there really wasn't too much interest though I guess.....
Yea I think I would be interested in a meet, I have to finish up my engine build first. I am actually waiting on the mail man to deliver the tuner right now. Should be broken in and read to drive in a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: PCM and Stall question