LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Heads are off...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^LMAO I've been having lots of fun lately chopping apart an 03 Competition Orange Cobra. Sweet sweet victory.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair enough, but regardless if he doesnt take our advice he will learn more the hard way. I told him about his OP Sensor 3 times before he finally just broke it off. By not listening to us its just causing more heartache and wasting more of his money. Harsh or not dude, listen to us! Most of us have been down this road and done it. We made our mistakes, learned from them, and now were passing that knowledge on to you. If you dont take it then so be it, but we will give you the i told ya so's when you repeat our mistakes.

In all reality, joking aside. Dont hone it yourself, have a professional with the proper equipment do that. Make sure you research, research, and when you think you have enough info, research some more because I promise you that you will miss stuff. I researched my *** off for my last build and I STILL missed ****.

Rebuild the engine, make sure you do it right, done fret about cost or time right now because your past that point, and pay attention man. You will get her going again and it will be a good reliable LT1.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Launching!

and the harness?! wtf the sensor is fucked, it was to begin with it feel right off... that line that runs from head to head was already stripped from god knows who so i tried using a vice grip and it just tore the metal right off like butter when i turned it so i just lifted the head up and took the picture, guys understand i would rather blow this engine up then take it to a shop and have someone else do it, I've made it this far, I'm doing the whole thing, i know its my first time i am making mistakes left and right but aren't you atleast enjoying reading about this lol... i mean come on its gotta be entertaining
Old 03-07-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedpower
and the harness?! wtf the sensor is fucked, it was to begin with it feel right off... that line that runs from head to head was already stripped from god knows who so i tried using a vice grip and it just tore the metal right off like butter when i turned it so i just lifted the head up and took the picture, guys understand i would rather blow this engine up then take it to a shop and have someone else do it, I've made it this far, I'm doing the whole thing, i know its my first time i am making mistakes left and right but aren't you atleast enjoying reading about this lol... i mean come on its gotta be entertaining
You're enjoying your ****-ups? You're completely okay with doing it yourself and NOT knowing what you're doing? You haven't "made it this far" whatsoever. You've gotten NOWHERE. At this point you're actually WORSE OFF, because now you've got to remove everything you've done - timing chain, cam, rockers, everything. You haven't gotten ANYWHERE. The most you've done is pull your motor (and you couldn't even do THAT right).

You'd rather blow it up than take it to a shop? Do you think it makes you more of a man to do it yourself? You got issues buddy. If that's the case, bolt the heads back down (reuse the stock bolts, why not?), and continue on your merry way. I look forward to the "what did I do wrong?" thread.

I take back my fleeting moment of sympathy. You're retarded.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry for ragging on you but all aside we are just trying to help. Its not that people dont want to you to learn from your mistakes, they are actually trying to help you by saving you money. Especially the offer Joe gave you. **** i would take that in a heartbeat (looking for a job Joe??? lol) but anyways just dont get over your head just to realise that you then do not have the money to actually fix it. Trust me that is what i did and it sucked looking at my car everyday knowing i cant enjoy it.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My God you're ****** retarded
Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

i would rather blow this engine up then take it to a shop and have someone else do it
Wow well if you think you're actually going to do all this yourself and its going to run right then you must be dreaming. You didn't know how to put rockers on how the hell are you going to do the rest of the motor. I think you're better off spray painting it and using it as a paper weight
Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA

Sig-worthy right there.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

wow...ALL BY YOURSELF huh? In that case, You sir...are a moron!

I tried that 1 time on a much lesser job...I was just doing a cam swap............that quickly turned into new valves, etc because I fucked it up and ended up spending 700 MORE dollars than I was going to in the first place and it STILL ran like ****...

I swallowed my pride and asked for help the second time and I still messed up slightly, but it was an easy, FREE fix and now my car runs AMAZING!

If you dont take help now you WILL mess this up. I promise. It WILL cost ALOT of money to fix, and you wont have your car back for a VERY long time because you pissed all your money away doing it the WRONG way and now you have to do it all over again with NO cash.....

You would rather blow up your engine than take it to someone else??? Well get ready, because that is EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Launching!

what offer that joe gave me?! so i am listening to you guys for the most part i am taking my block into school to have my teacher (he has a few dragsters) do the honing and inspect the rods and pistons and crank, I am starting over from scratch, disassemble the whole thing and start from square one, honestly I have put together ls vtec motors in a few hours... we had to for school (engines class) and start them, all this seems so much harder maybe it will be easier to assemble once everything is out and I am reassembling it... thanks for the support sorry for being a dumbass
Old 03-07-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

See you try to help someone out and then just they just set themselves up for my torment.

GL OP YOUR GOING TO NEED IT. Since obviously you know more than all of us that has been messing with motors, much less the LT1 a lot longer than yourself. I have been messing with LT1's for only 4 years and i still have much much more to learn.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Joe offered in another one of your doofy posts to COME GET YOUR MOTOR, rebuild it, and bring it back to you, all done PROPERLY for 1800.....That is one hell of a deal in MY book!

And no, putting it all back together is NOT that easy. Do you have all the torque specs for your bolts? ALL OF THEM? Have a torque wrench? Black Silicone? Loctite? Thread Sealer? Gasket Remover? LOTS AND LOTS (and in your case) TONE of brake parts cleaner? Do you have all of your gaskets? There is aLOT to consider when doing this rebuild!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

honestly I have put together ls vtec motors in a few hours... we had to for school (engines class) and start them
Yeah those are a lot different from an lt1. My little brother built a pinewood derby car and you don't see him trying to build a motor. Please tell me you're not in a auto shop class if so are they only teaching you how to do oil changes or what
Old 03-07-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

what offer that joe gave me?! so i am listening to you guys for the most part i am taking my block into school to have my teacher (he has a few dragsters) do the honing and inspect the rods and pistons and crank, I am starting over from scratch, disassemble the whole thing and start from square one, honestly I have put together ls vtec motors in a few hours... we had to for school (engines class) and start them, all this seems so much harder maybe it will be easier to assemble once everything is out and I am reassembling it... thanks for the support sorry for being a dumbass
from your other thread

I really just don't know what to say.

Tell you what...give me your motor and $1800. I'll have it rebuilt for you. I'll drive down (I'm in NJ), pick it up, and rebuild it.

Put the wrenches down.
RamAir95TA's name is Joe
Old 03-07-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is one hell of an offer, I would have jumped all over that if I was in the OP's position!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

As would I!!! He would be literally STUPID not to! I mean outright effing retarded!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

As would I. This is why i said i wish I lived closer. I dont have the time to build mine. I have the know how to do so but time I do not.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Launching!

How do i get in touch with joe? this seems more than fair.. i missed this post!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

He's RamAir95TA pm him
Old 03-07-2010, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club