LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My Car F'ing Hates Me - Fuel Pump Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Car F'ing Hates Me - Fuel Pump Problem?

So I got the clutch back in (after many, many problems) and I went to start the car and it seemed like it was out of gas. So I put 5 gallons of gas into it and tried to start it up. I turned the key and I could hear the fuel pump priming.

I then started the car and it started for a few seconds then it turned off. I tried to start it again and it just would not start. After looking things over, we realized it wasn't getting fuel anymore. Also, when you turn the key, you can no longer hear the pump priming.

We tested the fuel pump connector and it doesn't seem to be getting any power. Is the fuel pump toast or is the wiring/electronics acting up somewhere?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

trap door mod. pneumatic sheers, no sparks no risk of cutting fuel lines
Old 04-03-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Likely the fuel pump. Get a gauge on there to verify before you go cutting stuff up.

Cut-off wheels make quick work of the trap door. Don't worry about sparks - there's nothing to ignite.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawk584
trap door mod. pneumatic sheers, no sparks no risk of cutting fuel lines
Well I'm thinking it might be an electrical issue because the fuel pump connector isn't getting power.

I have a lift, so taking the fuel pump out shouldn't be a huge challenge, but I was considering the trap door if the fuel pump is the culprit.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Likely the fuel pump. Get a gauge on there to verify before you go cutting stuff up.

Cut-off wheels make quick work of the trap door. Don't worry about sparks - there's nothing to ignite.
How do you check it? I checked the connector for power, but I'm not sure how else to check it.

Yes, I'm a newb.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

There isn't supposed to be power at the fuel pump prime connector. It's purpose is to run the pump by jumping a 12v source TO the connector.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

There isn't supposed to be power at the fuel pump prime connector. It's purpose is to run the pump by jumping a 12v source TO the connector.
How do I check to see if the fuel pump is any good then?

And I checked the fuel pump connecter with the key turned on, if that makes a difference.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe I wasn't clear in my first few posts so I'll say it again.

Get a fuel pressure gauge and verify your fuel pressure via the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Should be somewhere around 43psi with the key on, engine off (41-47 psi is spec). A fuel pressure test gauge is an invaluable tool for any LT1 owner.

Putting a voltmeter on the fuel pump prime connector won't do anything. From my last post - There isn't supposed to be power at the fuel pump prime connector. It's purpose is to run the pump by jumping a 12v source TO the connector. Understand?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a fuel pressure gauge and verify your fuel pressure via the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Should be somewhere around 43psi with the key on, engine off (41-47 psi is spec). A fuel pressure test gauge is an invaluable tool for any LT1 owner.
That's what I needed to know, thank you.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

The PCM seems to be turning off power to the fuel pump relay after a few seconds, is that normal?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Did you check the pressure at the rail? Did you change the fuel filter? Did you change the relay? Those are the 3 things to do first, and in that order. The relay and filter are cheap enough.

BTW, if you have to change the pump, the trap door is easier than using a lift to drop the exhaust, rear and tank down to change something that only involves 2 quick disconnect lines, 1 vapor return line, 5 nuts, 2 clip-in attachment points on the bucket, and a sock.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Did you check the pressure at the rail? Did you change the fuel filter? Did you change the relay? Those are the 3 things to do first, and in that order. The relay and filter are cheap enough.

BTW, if you have to change the pump, the trap door is easier than using a lift to drop the exhaust, rear and tank down to change something that only involves 2 quick disconnect lines, 1 vapor return line, 5 nuts, 2 clip-in attachment points on the bucket, and a sock.
I didn't check the pressure at the rail, I know the fuel pump isn't turning on at all so there isn't going to be any pressure. I'll double check it though.

I changed the relay, no change. When I was testing the relay (a new relay) the pink wire seems to be getting power constantly - which it should be. The green wire, which gets hot when the key is turned, is only getting power for a few seconds then turning off.

I haven't tried changing the fuel filter though, I will tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are just turning the key to run and not starting the key it will only give power for a few seconds as fuel injection systems don't keep fuel pressure at starting pressure all the time. It needs that second or 2 that it takes before you engage the starter to build fuel presure so when the injectors cycle they have fuel to spray. There is a test port really close to the pcm that is a red wire with a singe small conection. This is the by pass feed to power the fuel pump. take a peice of wire and stick it in the test port and then jump it to the batt. This will give constant power and run the fuel pump untill you disconect it. This is what ramair is saying. Before you jump that test port, hook up a fuel pressure tester to the valve on the back of the fuel rail. then jump it and record the reading. If you get nothing then it's going to be either a bad wire(10% chance) or a bad fuel pump (90% chance). If you have fuel pressure report back what you have and some of the guys can tell you weather it is in the range or not.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaycenk
If you are just turning the key to run and not starting the key it will only give power for a few seconds as fuel injection systems don't keep fuel pressure at starting pressure all the time. It needs that second or 2 that it takes before you engage the starter to build fuel presure so when the injectors cycle they have fuel to spray. There is a test port really close to the pcm that is a red wire with a singe small conection. This is the by pass feed to power the fuel pump. take a peice of wire and stick it in the test port and then jump it to the batt. This will give constant power and run the fuel pump untill you disconect it. This is what ramair is saying. Before you jump that test port, hook up a fuel pressure tester to the valve on the back of the fuel rail. then jump it and record the reading. If you get nothing then it's going to be either a bad wire(10% chance) or a bad fuel pump (90% chance). If you have fuel pressure report back what you have and some of the guys can tell you weather it is in the range or not.
Thank you. That helped clear things up. I'll try what you said tomorrow.

Quick Reply: My Car F'ing Hates Me - Fuel Pump Problem?