LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 cam tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 cam tune?

I have a 97 TA that has cam LTs and a yank 2800 stall and all the other basic bolt ons. what would you guys recomend to tune my car at pcmforless or just take it to have it dyno tuned. I just dont want to go threw the hassel of taking it to a dyno shop. If anybody has had pcmforless mail order tune what were the results.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been using PCMforless.com for 10 years now with nothing but positive results.

You might also want to try madtuner.com as well.

IMO, a mail-order would be good enough.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

quick question also the tranny shifts fine but under hard acc it seems to shift very sluggish and doesent shift as hard as in lower rpms. IMO i think it is a tune would that be it or do i have to go back to the tranny mech. just rebuilt all the tranny befor e the cam swap and was workin fine.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

hope it just the tune!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

You will be fine with a mailorder tune with your setup. I had PCMforless do a mailorder for my heads/cam setup and it was excellent. I eventually had him him dyno tune my car and he did a great job with that as well. MadTuner is another popular LT1 tuner that you could look into.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

I've had madtuner do a couple tunes for me and have nothing but good things to say as well. imo you can't go wrong with madtuner, pcm4less, ed wright or trifecta..
Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
You will be fine with a mailorder tune with your setup. I had PCMforless do a mailorder for my heads/cam setup and it was excellent. I eventually had him him dyno tune my car and he did a great job with that as well. MadTuner is another popular LT1 tuner that you could look into.
The dyno tune produce more power over the mail order? how much? thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm huge advocate for dyno tunes with anything more than bolt on's. being on a dyno will let you know exactly when you want to shift, what stall speed would be most beneficial, produce more power, better gas mileage, etc. the cam grinder (not a cam company like Comp because 9 times out of 10 they don't know dick), mail order tuner or a forum member with experience with the same setup can help eleviate the first two issues though.

also assuming you're a 93 from your name if you are unsatisfied with the way the original tune they send you feels, you will have to wait for them to burn you a new chip (whatever exchange process that requires, I do not know) as opposed to a 94-97 that can simply use a laptop and cable to load new tunes.

Last edited by myltwon; 04-15-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ocala93TA
there's no exact figure, it's just a given because someone with no knowledge of how your car reacts exactly is going to have to tune more conservatively (more fuel/less timing) than someone who has the car right infront of them on a dyno.

btw just noticed your name is Ocala, assuming Ocala FL. Jeremy Formato (www.fasterproms.net) is one of the best LSx/LTx tuners in the nation and is practically in your backyard, I would use him.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ocala93TA
We made some timing adjustments that squeezed out another 10rwhp.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by myltwon
there's no exact figure, it's just a given because someone with no knowledge of how your car reacts exactly is going to have to tune more conservatively (more fuel/less timing) than someone who has the car right infront of them on a dyno.

btw just noticed your name is Ocala, assuming Ocala FL. Jeremy Formato (www.fasterproms.net) is one of the best LSx/LTx tuners in the nation and is practically in your backyard, I would use him.
thanks i will get a hold of him