LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

First opti R&R, couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:51 AM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First opti R&R, couple questions.

So I just got my opti off. Hasn't been too bad so far. Anyways, so when I pulled my opti out it didn't have the two o-rings on the shaft. Looked all over the place making sure they just didn't fall out when I pulled it out or if they stayed in the cam. Would this have caused any oil leakage?

Next, pic of my opti lol -

Think that could cause a misfire? I completely disassembled the opti and it was dry as a bone inside, and the rest of it looked good. Points did have a little build-up on them though, nothing too bad if this is in fact the stock 17x,xxx mile opti.

My last question pertains to modifications to the opti for more longevity. I bought the opti from a guy that only had it on his motor for apprx. 400 miles, and it ran perfect. I'm trying to decide if I should tear into it though and loctite the rotor screws and silicone the edge of the cap. I'm sorda unsure on if I might ruin a good opti. Has anyone who has done those modifications had any problems?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah that rotor is burned.

You can silicone the top of the cap without pulling apart the opti. That's what I did.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by S2K
Think that could cause a misfire? I completely disassembled the opti and it was dry as a bone inside, and the rest of it looked good. Points did have a little build-up on them though, nothing too bad if this is in fact the stock 17x,xxx mile opti.

My last question pertains to modifications to the opti for more longevity. I bought the opti from a guy that only had it on his motor for apprx. 400 miles, and it ran perfect. I'm trying to decide if I should tear into it though and loctite the rotor screws and silicone the edge of the cap. I'm sorda unsure on if I might ruin a good opti. Has anyone who has done those modifications had any problems?
What points in an opti?

I always loctite my rotor screws and silicone the cap. I had no problems, but I don't let liquid get on the opti...

Many opti's pop for no apperent reason often if it is a good opti it is good for many miles others opti's seem to go bad almost instantly.

Good luck
Old 04-14-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I think there's something wrong with it lol
Old 04-14-2010, 02:32 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1badzee
I think there's something wrong with it lol
I would have to agree with you sir.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Originally Posted by boosted LT1
What points in an opti?

I always loctite my rotor screws and silicone the cap. I had no problems, but I don't let liquid get on the opti...

Many opti's pop for no apperent reason often if it is a good opti it is good for many miles others opti's seem to go bad almost instantly.

Good luck
Yeah, I knew points wasn't the correct term, but for the life of me I just couldn't remember what the pieces that the rotor touches as it turns were called.

Anyways, I went ahead and loctited my rotor screws and siliconed the cap. New one looked great inside.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your question about the two little o rings on the shaft, i removed my opti and i couldn't find the little o-rings as well. My car had a MSD opti on it so some one was fiddling with it before i got the car. And yes it had a horrible oil leak, so i am hoping that that was the culprit. I also changed all the seals in the timing cover and timing cover gasket for good measure. I don't know if it will have stopped the oil leak or not, cause i am waiting for my opti to get back from MSD (Its being re built).
Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would definitely tear into the opti you bought and locktight inspect and seal it back up. No sense in trusting others word, only to find out you need to pull all your hoses and water pump etc back off.

It is good practice to know things instead of wonder in the back of your mind, especially when it comes to a system.

Quick Reply: First opti R&R, couple questions.