LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new opti... pre install maintinence?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010 | 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new opti... pre install maintinence?

I bought a new delphi opti off of thepartsladi on ebay last fall. I installed it into the car immedeately and got it back on the road. It only lasted till a few months ago.... Less than a year. When I removed this opti I could feel something rattling around inside it. As I disected the opti I noticed a lot of corrosion in the main wiring harness plug, and inside the cap once it was removed. Once I removed the rotor, and tore the opti down the rest of the ray, I notice the head of a torks bolt snapped off.

What can I do to make this next opti last longer?
Old 06-02-2010 | 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Buy a Chandler Motorsports opti
Old 06-02-2010 | 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

they are the exact same piece.....
Old 06-02-2010 | 02:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you dissect an opti? I got mine off but....are those tiny bolt heads in the top of it? are they .5mm? hex or torx?
Old 06-02-2010 | 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

torx socket size e4 to remove the cap, the bolts retaining the rotor are torx size t8. Once those are removed, the rest of the opti comes apart easily

Last edited by BLK,97,T/A,M-6; 06-02-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-02-2010 | 02:43 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
From: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Seriously? Are they AC Delco/Delphi optisparks? If not, I wouldn't recommend them.
Old 06-02-2010 | 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine lasted a whole 2 months... Getting an ac delco unit this time.
Old 06-02-2010 | 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Mine lasted a whole 2 months... Getting an ac delco unit this time.
Originally Posted by BTC
Seriously? Are they AC Delco/Delphi optisparks? If not, I wouldn't recommend them.

Ha, thats funny bc they have a year warranty. You are at least guaranteed a working opti for 12 months. Chandler also offers one for about $125 less then a Delphi that has a lifetime warranty. So you'd never have to buy an opti again theoretically. Guess you wanna put that down too.
Old 06-02-2010 | 05:10 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Pull the timing cover off and replace the seals for the waterpump drive shaft, opti drive and crank hub.

Also, some RTV around the casing of the opti especially at where the electrical connector for the harness goes. Seal the **** nicely!
Old 06-04-2010 | 08:08 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
From: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Ha, thats funny bc they have a year warranty. You are at least guaranteed a working opti for 12 months. Chandler also offers one for about $125 less then a Delphi that has a lifetime warranty. So you'd never have to buy an opti again theoretically. Guess you wanna put that down too.
I'm not putting anything down. I'm just echoing the prevailing sentiment towards non-oem opti's. Maybe their optispark is great. On the other hand, maybe there is a reason they're so cheap.
Old 06-04-2010 | 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BTC
I'm not putting anything down. I'm just echoing the prevailing sentiment towards non-oem opti's. Maybe their optispark is great. On the other hand, maybe there is a reason they're so cheap.
I dissected both units and there's not much to support the argument that the Delphi unit is better. Every Delphi I have taken apart was rusted inside. The one that lasted 80,000 miles especially. The MSD I had was a disaster, probably because it was an early production unit, but I won't buy again. I bought the eBay opti with the black cover:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Chevy-GM-LT1-Opti...item483ad72a5d

I ran it for awhile (it worked really well) then took it off for an engine teardown. While I was doing it I took it apart and compared it to my two Delphis. Only difference is the Mitsubishi optical unit versus the Chinese one, and I can't see why one would go sooner than the other. The Chinese one had a rotor bearing that was quite stiff, which made me think there was a seized bearing, but I as wrong. After further inspection the looseness of the Delphi unit would have almost certainly led to misfires.

I think some less expensive eBay optis get an undeserved bad rap. I have seen some people complain about ones dying after a couple of months, but I have seen some say they have 40,000 miles with no problems. I think a lot of the problems have to do with the installers and not the optispark.
Old 06-04-2010 | 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which torx bolt snapped off? it may have just been in their bouncing around giving you code 16 and 36. Is the reluctor wheel damaged? the Delphi opti may not be bad just had a loose bolt flying around in their. I think you should try this before you buy another one. Give it a try I've got many many many old cheap opti parts laying around. what was it doing that made you think it was bad?

Quick Reply: new opti... pre install maintinence?