LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

got my opti from chandler motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I said fk it and ordered one from Chandler last night. I guess well see how it does. Hopefully ill be one of the lucky ones and not have any problems.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
. . . and all of these other budget optisparks have a failure rate HIGHER than an AC Delco. It's simply NOT disputable.
My MSD has left me on the side of the road twice. My AC Delco outlasted the stock motor. I've tried several opti's but the Delco one lasted the longest so I agree with that.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have less than a month on a Chandler cap and rotor - car certainly feels peppier and revs much easier now...yes, I replaced a wear and tear item with something brand new so thats to be expected. However, side-by-side the Chandler unit was significantly better-built, heavier, 'meatier' than the AC Delco unit it replaced
Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Ill snap some pics of the Chandler opty next to a spare 160k stock spare I have. I haven't seen any pics like this.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fazz73jr
Ill snap some pics of the Chandler opty next to a spare 160k stock spare I have. I haven't seen any pics like this.
your right, i havent seen any comparison pictures around. Thatll only be for the cap and rotor however. its hard to take pictures of electronics to see how they compare lol
Old 12-29-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Haha! this is true! Maybe if I feel brave enough ill take it completely apart.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Default Opti Pics

Here is my 8000 mile GM Distributor. Going Chandler this time!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Been rocking a Chandler opti in my daily formula for a while now. No problems what so ever.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Bad Bud
Here is my 8000 mile GM Distributor. Going Chandler this time!

Cant see pics and really want to.

My OE opti didnt look horrible around 85K when I broke the cap pulling the waterpump, replaced it was an autozone cap and rotor and had no problems.

I pulled the whole thing for a Delco unit at 118K when I did the cam swap and it was working fine, had slightly more resistance in the bearing than the new one.

Had next to know corrossion or noticeable wear on rotor or contact points of the cap after 23K on a shitty autozone one.

Later found out the opti vents had been capped of by PO, and still had no problems.

I dont know why you guys have so many opti problems. Im willing to bet lots of optis are changed because of a misdiagnosis, between me and all of my friends with LT1s (about 11 cars now, stock to modded ranging in mileage from mid 50K to over 190K) none of use have ever had an opti fail we have only replaced them when doing mods as preventative maintenance.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

On a side not if I ever have a failure and need to get her back on the road quick or are strapped for cash Ill probably put a cheap as reman or chandler one on. Ive done it with other distributors dont see how the LT1 is different. I figure if they can offer a Lifetime warranty they have probably tested it and had few problems.

Optis are magic mystical distributors they are just electrical parts and I like to think we have got electronics down especially technologies that are almost 20 years old
Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Cant see pics and really want to.

My OE opti didnt look horrible around 85K when I broke the cap pulling the waterpump, replaced it was an autozone cap and rotor and had no problems.

I pulled the whole thing for a Delco unit at 118K when I did the cam swap and it was working fine, had slightly more resistance in the bearing than the new one.

Had next to know corrossion or noticeable wear on rotor or contact points of the cap after 23K on a shitty autozone one.

Later found out the opti vents had been capped of by PO, and still had no problems.

I dont know why you guys have so many opti problems. Im willing to bet lots of optis are changed because of a misdiagnosis, between me and all of my friends with LT1s (about 11 cars now, stock to modded ranging in mileage from mid 50K to over 190K) none of use have ever had an opti fail we have only replaced them when doing mods as preventative maintenance.
see attached! Kinda ungly!
Attached Thumbnails got my opti from chandler motorsports-img00030-20100825-0638-2.jpg   got my opti from chandler motorsports-img00031-20100825-0639-2.jpg  
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

**** thats bad something has to be getting in there. vented or non vented?

None of my optis have been that bad including my perfectly functioning original one with 85K on it
Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
**** thats bad something has to be getting in there. vented or non vented?

None of my optis have been that bad including my perfectly functioning original one with 85K on it
Vented! And vented with stock anti back feed valve or whatever they put on the vent hose. I'm guessing that being 3 miles from the beach amplified the corrosion process.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

It still shouldn't be WET.... (unless it got wet like that when you disassembled it)

trace out where the vent lines go, and make sure they are in good shape.

Bob
Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

^ TurboBob your the first person ive seen on here to have owned or own a 3s! Sorry for that useless tidbit of info .... end

I got my opti from CMS over the weekend, looks well built. Ill be taking it apart on Friday along with my 160k backup delco opti to compare. Ill take as many pics as possible.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yeah I get it, but I dont jump on the bandwagon of bashing toolbags. I know plenty about the Chandler opti, I bought one, its in a 93 Z that's used as a DD. The failure rates YOU quote are wrong. You lie and expect everyone to believe your BS. I know about how many Chandlers have come back. And while 100% may not still be inservice, the actual failure rate is very acceptable given the initial price/warranty on the unit. It reminds me of people who claim Snap on are the only tools that will go in their tool box. Give me a break. Are Snap on tool superior to Harbor Freight? **** yeah they are. Are they worth the 5x the price. Well thats a matter of opinion, but to me they aren't.
lol your crazy. Snap-on tools are far superior to any low brand tool. ie craftsman, harbor freight so on. but i wouldnt have known this if i wasnt a tech for sometime, using my snap on tools daily
Old 01-05-2011, 12:44 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
lol your crazy. Snap-on tools are far superior to any low brand tool. ie craftsman, harbor freight so on. but i wouldnt have known this if i wasnt a tech for sometime, using my snap on tools daily
Oh I love the few snap on tools I have, but it isn't cheap to get them.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fazz73jr
^ TurboBob your the first person ive seen on here to have owned or own a 3s! Sorry for that useless tidbit of info .... end

I got my opti from CMS over the weekend, looks well built. Ill be taking it apart on Friday along with my 160k backup delco opti to compare. Ill take as many pics as possible.

Yeah, I'm TurboBob over on 3Si.org as well....

I miss the Stealth, I traded it for BigBird. The Stealth was in much better shape. Oh well, someday I'll get another one.

Bob
Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
Hate to break it to you pal, but Snap-on is not what it used to be! It is no longer worth the money it once was! If you are an everyday mechanic then it's an "ok" at best choice, but for anyone else, Craftsman or Pittsburg tools etc. would be close enough quality to weekend wrench with. I worked for Snap-on as an Electronics Engineer for several years and hate to be the bearer of bad news but I got to see the real quality and care put into these tools! You'd be supprised!! I have gottin rid of almost all my Snap-on tools (about $20K) and spent that on Craftsman or Harbor Freight tools! (got sooo much more for the money that I needed a couple more roll cabs )
Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Bad Bud
Hate to break it to you pal, but Snap-on is not what it used to be! It is no longer worth the money it once was! If you are an everyday mechanic then it's an "ok" at best choice, but for anyone else, Craftsman or Pittsburg tools etc. would be close enough quality to weekend wrench with. I worked for Snap-on as an Electronics Engineer for several years and hate to be the bearer of bad news but I got to see the real quality and care put into these tools! You'd be supprised!! I have gottin rid of almost all my Snap-on tools (about $20K) and spent that on Craftsman or Harbor Freight tools! (got sooo much more for the money that I needed a couple more roll cabs )
i use mac, matco and snap on. i do agree they are expensive. mine are paid off. but i do have some craftsman tools aswell, i just break them. also some of the technology in snap ons and macs open end wrenchs is far superior. pardon my memory cant remember what its called. it was first used by divers in the 40s.

Quick Reply: got my opti from chandler motorsports