LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

bypassing the starter relay after vats tuned out question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bypassing the starter relay after vats tuned out question?

Ok some of you might know I just got my car back on the road after two years. Before my car was torn apart I was having issues with my vats system tripping the security light. I had new keys made, checked the ignition cylinder, and wiring to the vats. Everything checked out good. It would randomly still come on. So when I got my mail-order tune from pcm-for-less I had the vats tuned out. Well I got in my car last night and sure enough the security light came on for about two minutes. I called pcm-for-less to confirm that it was tuned out, they said it was. They told me that I still needed to tune out my starter relay. My question is how do I go about doing this? Thanks Mike.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if I am not mistaken, the relay is located behind the radio, and It needs to see a ground from the pcm to close the circuit... so you could just make it a constant ground to take the vats thing out of the equation all together... or straight wire the two wires (starter wires, prob 10g) to make straight power from the ignition switch and bypass the relay all together... it can be done countless ways
Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I did that on my car. One of the relays behind the glove box contain what you need. You have to cut two wires and connect them together. I forgot which two colors (they were pretty thick wires). I want to say purple and yellow? Could be green and yellow, purple and green, idk. I will get you a specific answer tonight when I go to my car. I never had a problem since. The security light will randomly come on, but the poor thing can't do anything about it since it's all bypassed.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I would appreciate it. I know which ones you are talking about. I reconnected that to the dash not to long ago after I removed the dash for the hvac removal. I'm pretty sure one of the wires were purple. I know the one going to the starter is purple. Not sure on the other one.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

um yeah one wire is purple and the other yellow... they are four wires to that relay so two are for the starter ign feed which both are gonna be thick wires like 10 gauge and the other two wires are gonna be thinner wires prob 18 gauge... one is relay power and the other pcm ground feed to energize the relay... just hook the two thick wires together and your done ! no more vats or starter relay woes...
Old 06-23-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

It might be green. I remember it was a different color from the 94+ cars. I'll get back to you in a few
Old 06-23-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Yellow and dark green on a 1993.

http://shbox.com/1/starter_charging_93.jpg
Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

i appreciate the rob and 1badzee
Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Yup, Yellow and dark green. Just connect those two and you will be fine!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok sounds good. I will be doing this shortly. thank you for the help.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

So if I get the VATS tuned out in the ecm on a 93 it can still stop the car from starting unless those wires are connected? The relay is behind the radio in the dash? Does the dash need to come out to get to it? I'm going to be pulling the dash soon removing the HVAC system so I want to make sure I get it while I'm in there.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Yup, Yellow and dark green. Just connect those two and you will be fine!
So ok there's no chance those wires will short out i have this problem for a while now and i had my vats tuned out long time ago......
Old 03-10-2014, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

I realize I'm bumping an age old thread but this is my year and everything so it made no sense to make another thread..

Have a 93 transam with a 99 LS1 swap, I bypassed the starter relay with the yellow and green wires but not for whatever reason the security light is on and the car chimes with no key in the ignition...put the key in, turn it on and off and leave it, and it stops.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by The Postman
I realize I'm bumping an age old thread but this is my year and everything so it made no sense to make another thread..

Have a 93 transam with a 99 LS1 swap, I bypassed the starter relay with the yellow and green wires but not for whatever reason the security light is on and the car chimes with no key in the ignition...put the key in, turn it on and off and leave it, and it stops.

Any suggestions?
If the VATS module is not satisfied with the correct key resistance (or there is another VATS module issue), you are going to get fault indications. If you are no longer using or need any part of the VATS, remove the module. Really not sure why you would hear a chime, though. That was never part of the VATS.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Shbox thanks for the reply, I actually used your wiring schematic to bypass the relay.

I should mention that it didn't do this for 4 days after bypassing, then randomly yesterday it decided to start.

I'm almost positive it may be a bad ignition cylinder causing the chime. I did not solder in a resistor pack under the steering column, I simply removed the vats module from the circuit by cutting both of the yellow wires and tying them into the dark green one. I'll prob ohm out the key chip and put in the resistor pack to keep the security light off the dash though.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Default 95 Bird Question

Ok I have a 95. What color are my wires, and what exactly do I have to do, so I can start my car?
Old 01-01-2015, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Should be an orange and white wire located under the knee bolster and going up into the column. Iirc it had a orange or yellow sleeve over the two wires and a plug at the base of the column. Easiest way is to ohm your resistance on the factory key pill. The pill is a resistor, once you determine the required resistance for your vats module get a resistor matching the ohm reading and solder it into the harness leading to the module (away from the column plug). I used to do locksmith work and this is the way we did it for years.

Edit: misread your post sorry. Iirc it's yellow and purple on the relay behind the radio. Connect the two to bypass the relay. Check out shbox website for the exacts. He is the one who helped me out on mine. His website is a great tool to use.

Last edited by litch2004; 01-01-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Misread

Quick Reply: bypassing the starter relay after vats tuned out question?